View Full Version : Wannabe pairs girl

deanna
09-21-2002, 09:49 PM
Hi all,

Can I have some feedback on whether a girl who is 5'2 1/2" inches tall is considered too tall for pairs. I weigh about 100 pounds. I see that most of the pairs girls are around 5' or 5'1" tall. I do know the exception to that is Xue Zhen of Zhen and Hongbo Cho (Sp?). Also, Valerie Saurette who used to skate with J-S fecteau of Canada was over 5'5" tall.

Thanks, Deanna

Taz-Man
09-21-2002, 11:06 PM
deanna,

5' 2 1/2" shouldn't be too tall at all. The only consideration would be possibly to have a slightly taller partner, say 5' 11" to 6'2". I don't know if there's a "standard" height difference, but I think that as long as the gentleman is about a 'head' taller (around 8"-10" +/- 1") it looks good. (That's my opinion, as a guy.) My wife and I have tried skating a little bit of pairs and people say we look pretty good together, size-wise anyway. I'm 5' 10 1/2", and she comes up just to my chin, about 5' 2" - 5' 3", and I feel I'm pretty average height. *shrug* I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find a good, "appropriately sized" partner, and I wish you the best of luck.

Hope that helps, at least a little. :)

Taz-Man

deanna
09-22-2002, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Taz-Man

Mrs Redboots
09-22-2002, 09:49 AM
If you have plans to be elite, you need a good height difference, but I know plenty of adult pairs who are more-or-less the same height, and manage beautifully. Mind you, the woman is usually stick-thin.....

ClevelandDancer
09-23-2002, 01:54 PM
Hi Deanna :)

I'd say you're small enough now, though towards the upper edge for elite pair skating. I have no idea of your age, but are you done growing? There seem to be quite a few successful 12-13 year old female pair skaters that have to give it up a couple years later because of a growth spurt.

Also, if you think you are done growing, how are your singles skills? Do you have at least your doubles?

This all doesn't matter much if you're not thinking about elite competition. And truthfully, the biggest problem is finding a partner ... there are a lot more girls than guys out there looking.

Good luck! :)

deanna
09-23-2002, 04:37 PM
Hi Cleveland Dancer,

I am fourteen and a half years old and have all my doubles including double axel consistently as well as a triple sal. Its hard to say whether I will grow anymore but I think my growth spurt is pretty well over.

Deanna

ClevelandDancer
09-24-2002, 08:42 AM
Deanna, it sounds like you're prime pairs-girl material :D I'm guessing you're right about being done (or close to done) growing and you've got the right skills!

I get somewhat concerned on these threads because I've known some girl skaters (and seen partner-wanted ads from others) where the girl is just being unrealistic. Things like a 17yo girl that doesn't have her axel yet, is 5'6" or 5'7" and weighs 130+ pounds and looking for a pairs partner.

Unfortunately, if you don't have all your doubles by the time you're done growing it's not real likely (though not impossible) that you're ever going to get them. Guys are a little luckier in this respect in that they don't stop growing until like 18-20.

You do seem to be in good shape though to be looking into pairs. Good luck partner shopping :)