View Full Version : USFSA Membership processing time?

Skittl1321
08-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know approximately how long USFSA takes to mail out membership cards and rule books for new memberships? I applied on 7/3 and am able to login and get a temporary membership card- but have not recieved my card/rulebook/pin? yet. Should I be concerned that it is not here yet? How long does it usually take?

I realize they process ALL their renewals right now- so it probably takes awhile- it just seems like it's been a long time!

Clarice
08-09-2007, 08:07 PM
I renewed my membership in June, but I don't know exactly when our membership chair sent it in. I got my new card in the mail today. Our club has not received our rule book order yet - that's typically pretty late.

techskater
08-09-2007, 08:21 PM
got my membership card on Monday but rulebook needs to come from my club membership chair (I see her once in a while) :roll:

Skittl1321
08-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Well then- I should look for it soon.

I joined as an individual member- so the rulebook will come from USFSA. Honestly, I'm more concerned about the membership card- cause I'm worried the test session isn't going to accept the temp card from the internet.

SynchroSk8r114
08-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Well then- I should look for it soon.

I joined as an individual member- so the rulebook will come from USFSA. Honestly, I'm more concerned about the membership card- cause I'm worried the test session isn't going to accept the temp card from the internet.

Most test session and clubs should accept the temp card. But if you're still worried, what you can do is what skaters at my club do while waiting for their membership cards to come: just write "membership pending" on your test application. If my skating director knows that a membership is coming and that's it's been paid for and taken care of, she's pretty lenient. That's what I had my students do when they first joined the USFSA. Just a suggestion...

Skittl1321
08-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Most test session and clubs should accept the temp card. But if you're still worried, what you can do is what skaters at my club do while waiting for their membership cards to come: just write "membership pending" on your test application. If my skating director knows that a membership is coming and that's it's been paid for and taken care of, she's pretty lenient. That's what I had my students do when they first joined the USFSA. Just a suggestion...

Thanks for the reassurance- I've been in contact with the club to let them know that the membership number I originally gave them was not correct (somehow I had two- so USFSA merged them to make sure I had the lower one) so they already know it's funky- they shouldn't be too suprised when I have a temp card.

I have the basic skills card with the number, and a temp to show I'm a full member. It seems like if I give them a number and pay them- it should work, I mean if I'm not REALLY a member all that happens is the test isn't registered. (But of course, I am a member, so I don't see why it would be a problem).

SynchroSk8r114
08-09-2007, 08:58 PM
It seems like if I give them a number and pay them- it should work, I mean if I'm not REALLY a member all that happens is the test isn't registered. (But of course, I am a member, so I don't see why it would be a problem).

You should definitely be fine, but just a general warning about testing and the idea that "all that happens is the test isn't registered...": I knew a girl who took passed all of her Pre-Silver dances at one test session, but somehow along the way, her tests were never registered. :frus: (I think someone at her club failed to send them in.) She was planning on testing one of her Silvers and found out like, two days before testing that she was ineligible to take her Silver dance because she "technically" did not pass her Pre-Silvers. I say "technically" in the sense that her tests weren't registered so the USFSA never knew she passed them. It got very confusing and I think she may have had to retake all her Pre-Silvers! 8O That shouldn't be the case with you though, so don't worry! ;)

Anyway, several girls on my synchro team used the temp cards for a competition after not having renewed their memberships in a while. We took the cards just in case, wrote down their membership numbers and all that on the entry forms and they were fine...

Isk8NYC
08-10-2007, 12:25 AM
When I first registered as an Individual Member, it took a long time to get my package. I think they held the registration card and USFSA pin until the rulebook was available.

I renewed in early June and received my card around the end of July. Haven't received the rulebook yet, but last year they were sent later, after I emailed to ask about the rulebook.

The temporary card should be fine, just make sure it's the correct number.

I would send the USFSA membership department an email, just to be certain that the package is on its way.

vesperholly
08-10-2007, 03:23 AM
I knew a girl who took passed all of her Pre-Silver dances at one test session, but somehow along the way, her tests were never registered. :frus: (I think someone at her club failed to send them in.) She was planning on testing one of her Silvers and found out like, two days before testing that she was ineligible to take her Silver dance because she "technically" did not pass her Pre-Silvers. I say "technically" in the sense that her tests weren't registered so the USFSA never knew she passed them. It got very confusing and I think she may have had to retake all her Pre-Silvers! 8O

8O That is my biggest fear!!! After I passed Novice moves, I checked my profile on the USFSA website for weeks waiting for it to pop up. I also won't leave the rink without copies of my test forms in case something goes wrong. :halo:

Isk8NYC
08-10-2007, 03:30 AM
I forgot that I had taken both Dance and Figures tests before I stopped skating. I only found out when I reactivated my membership - the Dance test made me laugh. (I'm awful!) I honestly don't remember taking the tests, and my papers are probably buried in my basement somewhere, but the USFSA says I passed them! LOL

Thin-Ice
08-10-2007, 04:04 AM
Rulebooks usually are mailed out to Individual Members and clubs in early September. Judges, referees and other officials usually receive copies in mid-to-late August (and use them to take the annual review) and find many of the typos and mistaken prints.. and some of that info is used to correct the rulebooks sent out to everyone else, which is why most people receive their rulebooks after the season officially starts.

Skittl1321
08-10-2007, 06:55 AM
You should definitely be fine, but just a general warning about testing and the idea that "all that happens is the test isn't registered...":

Oh- no- not from MY end- I NEED the test to be registered. But from the clubs end- if I'm paying them, why should it matter to them? I imagine I'll check my profile like mad to make sure it shows up.

Thanks everyone for information on the rulebooks. Since this is my first time to register as an individual member- I imagine my "real" card will be a bit delayed.

blue111moon
08-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Individual memberships are the lowest priority for Headquarters. Officials come first, then club memberships, then Basic Skills, then the Individuals. That's the order in which things are processed and in which rulebooks are shipped.

I'm an official and I haven't received my new Rulebook yet so I don't expect the clubs to get theirs for a couple weeks after I get mine.

As for the test registration, you shouldn't have to even show your card to sign up for the test, unless the club specifically asks for a copy of the card. You just write your number on the application form. If you can log into the USFS system with that number to check your membership (and you did in order to print the temp card), then it should be fine. When the test chair registers the test, it will clear.

Skittl1321
08-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Individual memberships are the lowest priority for Headquarters. Officials come first, then club memberships, then Basic Skills, then the Individuals. That's the order in which things are processed and in which rulebooks are shipped.

I'm an official and I haven't received my new Rulebook yet so I don't expect the clubs to get theirs for a couple weeks after I get mine.

As for the test registration, you shouldn't have to even show your card to sign up for the test, unless the club specifically asks for a copy of the card. You just write your number on the application form. If you can log into the USFS system with that number to check your membership (and you did in order to print the temp card), then it should be fine. When the test chair registers the test, it will clear.

I'm really not concerned about the rulebook- just the membership card, and it appears (since I assume they will ship together) that I won't have it in time for the test.

The test requires individual members to show "proof of membership" and the temporary card is, technically, proof of membership- I don't really think it's going to be a problem. Since I'm in the online system (and the payment cleared) I definetly have my membership.

Thin-Ice
08-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Actually you're likely to get your membership card before the rulebook... when they get around to processing your membership card and pin, they'll send those in a nice little white envelope. The rulebook and directory will come in a padded envelope I would guess by the end of September for you.

Good luck with your test!