View Full Version : Pic Skates

Luckster013
08-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Has anyone ever used Pic skates before? I heard about them the other day so I got on the website and they look really cool, but i'm not sure they're worth the money, and i'm also concerned that they would actually mess up my skating. Has anyone tried them?

Heres the website www.picskate.com

Thanks!!!!

Skate@Delaware
08-08-2007, 08:39 PM
I used them a few years ago...when I wasn't a very good skater. My skating director uses them in the summer, when we have no ice. You can do everything in them that you can do on ice, with some modification.

I have a set, used only one summer and kept clean (wiped and oiled after each outing) on Gam size 10 (yeah, pretty big I know)....I will GIVE to anyone that wants them. The boots are low level but these are great for basic skating up to single jumps. I even have a book-how to jump and spin on inline skates. Any takers? The boots are white but also will work for guys (or for a guy that wants to re-mount them onto their regular skates, they will work as I still have the instructions).

PM me.

LWalsh
08-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I had these for a while but it was really hard to spin on them and I never quite got the hang of it overall. I was really concerned that I might break something!

Lara

Sessy
08-09-2007, 02:24 AM
I used them a few years ago...when I wasn't a very good skater. My skating director uses them in the summer, when we have no ice. You can do everything in them that you can do on ice, with some modification.

I have a set, used only one summer and kept clean (wiped and oiled after each outing) on Gam size 10 (yeah, pretty big I know)....I will GIVE to anyone that wants them. The boots are low level but these are great for basic skating up to single jumps. I even have a book-how to jump and spin on inline skates. Any takers? The boots are white but also will work for guys (or for a guy that wants to re-mount them onto their regular skates, they will work as I still have the instructions).

PM me.

Can you exemplify the modifications you speak of? I'm thinking about buying either pic frames, or normal high-qual quad frames to mount on my old risports when I get new boots. Because there's no ice here in summer, or virtually none (2x6 weeks breaks MINIMUM, even if you utilize all expensive opportunities to skate).
So I dunno which ones to get.

Right now I'm thinking about quads because you can get outside wheels for those (I'd be skating on a concrete basketball field) and pic skates don't come with outside wheels like quads do over here, to my knowledge anyway... Or are the wheels such that there's only outside wheels or something? That they'll last anyway?

Verena
08-09-2007, 04:49 AM
Hi!

I also have pic skates. I bought them because I was desparate after the last arena closed down. I ordered them though the internet - they ask you to fax them a drawing of each foot. However, the pair I was sent is a bit bigger than it should be. Also, the boot is a Gam one, that is not so comfortable. I have used them very few times, since you actually have to relearn everything on them. The friction on the ground is much more than the friction on the ice. Also, skating on ice is mostly based on re-action and not friction, whereas skating on the ground is based totally on friction (the skate cannot get into the ground!). These differences are the reason that you have to adjust all your moves on the ground. For example, a three- turn needs different power on the ice and on the ground, and I think, even different timing (you cannot do it very fast on the ground). Also, stopping is totally different, of course.
As far as I am concerned, because my pic skate boots and "blades" are bigger and not so good as my ice skates, I cannot find the "toe pick" easily, or how much I can lean and not fall.
I guess that if you have a good pair of skate boots for your pic skates and you can use them on VERY smooth surface, then you won't need so much re-adjustment from your ice skating.

Bill_S
08-09-2007, 06:31 AM
I use PIC skates weekly to supplement ice time. They are as close to ice skates as you can get on wheels, but they still are different.

I've never mastered spins on PICs (one could say that I haven't mastered them on ice either). Spinning is very difficult. Hockey stops just won't happen at all - don't even try.

However I've managed to do three-turns and some brackets on PICs. There is more friction than on ice. When switching back and forth, this is something you will be aware of. I adapt within a few minutes but I've been doing it for a while.

Your technique must be crisp on PIC skates for moves like three turns and brackets. If you're off the 'sweet spot' for the turn, your blades will grab (not skid like on ice) and you'd better be quick or down you go.

I used them outside a couple of times, but the stock wheels wore down very quickly. I also didn't like the rough-and-stutter feel of pavement when skating. I found a rink, and discovered that a smooth floor is almost heaven.

Try a search on this forum for other comments about PIC skates. It's a topic that comes up about twice a year and there are a lot of comments both pro and con concerning PIC skates and competing brands like the Snow White...

http://www.inlinefigure.com/snowwhite.htm

SynchroSk8r114
08-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Never used 'em, but a girl at my rink had them and she was able to do axels on them. Didn't seem to mess up her skating - her on-ice jumps looked the same as the ones she did in the Pics.

Like the previous poster mentioned about sizing and foot drawings, I think this girl said that they were a different size than her figure skates, so...

Bill_S
08-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Speaking of boots, I'd purchase just the PIC frames and get fitted by your usual ice skating person for boots of the brand you're used to. Hire them also to mount the frames when they arrive.

I didn't like the PIC skate GAM boots - way too soft for me and I broke them down within a few months. Jumps hurt in them.

blackmanskating
08-09-2007, 01:54 PM
I also have a pair of pic skates. I just bought the frames and had them mounted to my older jackson boots. On a smooth surface like wood, these things are pretty cool. Because I've been ice skating for so long, I cannot find my balance on quad skates. So when I go to a roller rink with my friends, I bring these along. That way, I can feel comfortable. Spinning is tough on these because you essentially have to balance on one wheel. I haven't done more than 5 revs on these, but everyone thought it was amazing and was asking what kind of skates I had on. Jumps feel pretty similar to doing them on ice. You won't have to change your technique that much. I've done up to an axel on these things. Falling is not as forgiving as it is on the ice though. :frus: But these are fun when you don't have a sheet of ice around.

BlackManSkating

Sessy
08-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Your technique must be crisp on PIC skates for moves like three turns and brackets. If you're off the 'sweet spot' for the turn, your blades will grab (not skid like on ice) and you'd better be quick or down you go.

I used them outside a couple of times, but the stock wheels wore down very quickly. I also didn't like the rough-and-stutter feel of pavement when skating. I found a rink, and discovered that a smooth floor is almost heaven.

Hmm that crisp stuff - that's true for rollers too I think, at least for the quad rollers I've got right now.

But the latter comment just made me decide to go with high qual quads.

Skate@Delaware
08-12-2007, 01:54 PM
I have a taker for my pic skates. Sorry I did not post earlier, I was away (camping) for the weekend.....