View Full Version : Discipline/level/costume /and what your skating to for your Short/long Program.

FSWer
08-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Say,to all our skaters here. It's time to name your Discipline(s),,your level(s),what your costumes look like,and what your skating to for your long and short program of this season.

jskater49
08-08-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm prebronze adult - I have a long sleeved torquoise dress that I don't like but I get a lot of nice complements when I wear it so it either looks better than I think or people are just nice and my music is to Ashokan Farewell (the song you hear on the PBS Civil War Documentary)

I don't have a short program but I have compulsary I've done enough I think of it as a program - no music but I have cute brown check bathsuit type dress for that

My dance dress is in my sig picture - so its my brown dress

j

Mrs Redboots
08-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Adult skaters don't do short and long programmes - nor do the kids, until they get to a certain level! You will have to visit one of the adult competitions and see what goes on - it might inspire you!

I shall have the same dresses as I've had for several years now; can't afford new ones. Am not sure what we'll do for Husband's new free programme, though - for the last two years he has skated to Queen music so, obviously, a T-shirt with the Queen logo on it. Now we will have to find him a new T-shirt that matches his new music.

FSWer
08-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Ok.....I'm a little bit confused. Can anyone please explain a little more about what Annabelle says, and WHY they don't? I've always thought that no matter WHAT level or who you were you did a Short and Long Program. If not, how IS it worked?

jskater49
08-09-2007, 11:57 AM
In the USFS, short programs start at the Intermediate level. And even then, at most non-qualiftying competitions, you don't have to do a short - they are separate events. They do have championship rounds which include a short and a long. At some comps, you can do a short program at the juvenile level but the requirements are usually the intermediate.

Adults don't have short programs. They just compete freestyle.

j

flo
08-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Adults also have the option of doing "interpretive" programs. These can be artistic, or comedy-character (although the titles of the categories may change from year to year).

My adult artistic program this year is "Bring Him Home". My costume is a simple navy blue Mirella dress and an army jacket/shirt.

FSWer
08-09-2007, 12:57 PM
In the USFS, short programs start at the Intermediate level. And even then, at most non-qualiftying competitions, you don't have to do a short - they are separate events. They do have championship rounds which include a short and a long. At some comps, you can do a short program at the juvenile level but the requirements are usually the intermediate.

Adults don't have short programs. They just compete freestyle.

j

Why do adults not have to? Is there also a reason for why your at a curtain level they don't have you do it? How are they supposed to know who won in a competition?

SynchroSk8r114
08-09-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm not competing anymore, but I am still testing freestyles, so I thought I'd share that...:halo:

Discipline: Freestyle
Level: Intermediate
Costume: Sleeveless, sparkly red dress with rhinestones over the sheer fabric on the back and sleeves; short, sheer red skirt cut to points
Music: Intermission from the musical Cabaret

TimDavidSkate
08-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Discipline: Singles

Level: Adult Silver Men Class 1

Costume: All black (not going through the hoop-la of skating costumes and designers and etc...)

Music: Planned music pieces for 2007-2008 season
Fate of Carmen, Carmina Burana, Aranjuez, Romeo and Juliet

Skittl1321
08-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Why do adults not have to? Is there also a reason for why your at a curtain level they don't have you do it? How are they supposed to know who won in a competition?

The winner of the event wins the competition. At the higher qualifying level they combine the two scores. In essence- all the adults have a score of 0 on the short program (since they don't do one) and it gets "added to" the score from the program they did do- and that's who wins the competition.

It's just not necessary to do two programs. There aren't nearly as many people competiting so you don't usually need a qualifying round (and if they do need a qualifying round- I assume they use the same program? I've never seen this case).

The short program originated as a compulsary program (and still is to an extent, but with the new scoring system and well balanced program rules- the long program is becoming more like one) where skaters had to all do the same things in the program- the long program was a chance for them to show their stuff and they had more freedom in what they could do, until the highest adult levels- it's just not necessary. For the most part (total generalization) the skills allowed in the short program fairly well match the skills an adult at that level can perform well.

At least that's my take on why adults don't have them. I also like that we don't need to pay for another event!

Skittl1321
08-09-2007, 03:01 PM
And my new dress (mine is forest green):

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/skatebuys_1962_22725272

This isn't my program dress, I'll continue to use an old one. But this is the one I bought as a test dress and I can't wait to wear it! I got a great deal too $30 with shipping new with tags and scrunchie from a dance store on ebay.

Raye
08-10-2007, 03:53 AM
Freeskate - March of the Toreadors from Carmen - Dark red velvet dress trimmed with black lace and black sequins.

Alternate Freeskate - Sweet Charity - cute little black dress with fringe trim around the edge of the skirt and a red silk rose on my right hip, long black elbow gloves and either a red headband or a red cloche-style hat

My old Interpretive - Memory from Cats - For awhile I wore a cat costume, complete with ears and tail - then I changed to a black velvet with midnight blue sparkles and three layer chiffon skirt midnight blue for the top layer, turquoise for the second layer and sky blue for the bottom layer - a really pretty dress also suitable as a dance-dress.

My new Bronze Interpretive - which I hope to test sometime around Christmas - Wonderful Guy from South Pacific. Haven't figured out the dress yet. Actually just started the choreography day before yesterday.

Mrs Redboots
08-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Well, whoever wins, wins!

Don't forget, adults - and lower-level skaters of all ages - do far, far shorter programmes; at the lowest levels it is only 1'30", and goes up to (I think) a maximum of 3'30" for the elite category.

And if the highest jump you can do is a single Salchow or perhaps a loop jump, there's not much point in having required elements, like you do in a short programme. There are now well-balanced programme requirements, listing the amount of jump elements and spins that you have to do in your programme, but not specifying what they should be, although there's usually a "no axel/no double jump" requirement for the lowest levels, and also it specifies what sort of step sequence you should have, or whether you may substitute a spiral sequence.

flo
08-10-2007, 11:55 AM
The adults do have initial and final rounds for many of the events. It really depends on the number of entries. The largest I've been in at Nationals was around 80 total for bronze II, and the smallest - probably 10 pairs.

Skittl1321
08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
The adults do have initial and final rounds for many of the events. It really depends on the number of entries. The largest I've been in at Nationals was around 80 total for bronze II, and the smallest - probably 10 pairs.

This was my question- do they do the same program in both rounds? That was my assumption, but I wasn't sure.

blackmanskating
08-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Discipline: Freestyle

Level: No level right now but that is changing in 2 weeks when I take my first test. I would like to be Adult Gold within the next few months. :halo:

Costume: My Costume is a custom made black velvet 2 piece shirt and pant. It has a abstract royal blue tribal design on the chest going across the left shoulder to the middle of the back. The same blue design is on the cuffs of both sleeves. The design is also on the pants going down the left leg. Across the blue design are Onxy and Blue Swarovsky flat back crystals.
It is far more flashy that what I initially wanted; but I have grown to like it.

Program Music: Rondo Cappriccioso by Camille Saint-Saens.

Silver/Gold Adult FreeStyle Test Music: Hey Pachuco by Royal Crown Revue

BlackManSKating

Clarice
08-10-2007, 03:19 PM
This was my question- do they do the same program in both rounds? That was my assumption, but I wasn't sure.

Yes, if you make final rounds at Adult Nationals, you do your free skate again. At regular club competitions, adults and lower level skaters often have the option of doing compulsory programs - required moves, no music, often on half ice - which sort of take the place of a short program. I've never seen a competition where the compulsory scores were combined with the free skate, though - it's always two completely separate events. They don't offer compulsory free skating events at Adult Nationals because there's no time.

My programs this year (Adult Silver):
Free Skate - Barcarolle from Gaite Parisienne by Offenbach. Dress will be turquoise, but I haven't made it yet.
Artistic - A combination of the Poco allegretto from Brahms' Third Symphony with Love of My Life from Santana's Supernatural album. Sounds weird, I know, but the two pieces share a melody. Dress will be maroon and pink.
Dance - Just testing compulsory dances, so I wear a black leotard and wrap skirt.

techskater
08-10-2007, 04:32 PM
I've seen people do different FS programs for IR and FR or for Champ/Open FS. It's unusual, to say the least, but there are some who have pulled it off successfully.

herniated
08-10-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm Adult Silver
Freestyle music: Nessun Dorma
Dress: Light blue, sleeveless with crystal flowers in the front and on the straps

Artistic/Dramatic music: Moonlight Sonata
Dress: Off White dance length, one arm nude mesh, shirred bodice,crystals on shoulder and bottom of dress.

Muskoka Skater
08-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Discipline: Ladies

Level: Sr.Bronze

Dress: light blue, elbow lenght sleaves, and a three layered skirt

Music for Freeskate: I don't know, because it was another skaters music before mine.

Music for Artistic: This is me in grade 9, by Bare Naked Ladies