View Full Version : What Should I Do Now?

batonstar
08-08-2007, 03:10 AM
Below is a list of what I can do:

Skate forwards very fast
Skate backwards quite fast
Snake from side to side going forwards
Skate on one leg going forwards and backwards on each foot
Squat down and touch toes while going forwards
While going forwards, jump with 2 feet & land still going forwards on 2 feet
While going forwards , jump with 2 feet & land going backwards on 2 feet
Skate forwards & turn 180 degrees to skate backwards
Skate backwards & turn 180 degrees to skate forwards

Next time I go skating I intend to have a go more at forward crossovers - not so sure about trying backwards crossovers yet.

I would also like to try something else a little more adventurous, what can you suggest next?

I am having a little trouble with stops. I have tried to do the hockey stop, and the snow plow.

The snow plow for some reason does not slow me down at all - I do have both my knees & toes turned inwards, but I didn't know if there was anything more I should be doing otherwise & the hockey stop I understand you need to turn to face the side with your skates & bend your knees & lean a little, but I cannot seem to grasp it.

I can do the one where you drag your free foot behind you on the inside edge, but I understand that to make it a T stop you need to use the outside edge, but I don't understand how to.

Any tips for stops & suggestions of what I can try next to keep myself from being routine would be very grateful.

tidesong
08-08-2007, 03:19 AM
You could try edges, skate on one leg on the inside edge and then the outside edge. And repeat for both legs and both (forward and backward) directions.
But, umm are you with a coach? You should probably try to get some kind of professional guide to make sure your basics are solid...

flippet
08-08-2007, 09:59 AM
At this point, the best thing you can do is take some lessons. See when the next session of skate school starts up at your rink--often, they follow the school year, so there's probably one starting in September--sign up now! If you have to take with the kids, so be it--they don't bite, they're actually kind of fun, and you're there to learn to skate, right? That's what you will learn.

If you keep going the way you're going, you're guaranteed to pick up some really bad habits---like dragging the inside edge on a "T-stop". That's a good way to wrench your knee, by the way.

Skittl1321
08-08-2007, 10:25 AM
While I agree the next step is to find classes (you don't need privates, LTS classes are much more affordable) if you absolutely can't take them, a good reference is what USFSA or ISI teaches in the Basic Skill classses.

Here are the required skills for each level:
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_basic_ref/lts/basic_eights.htm
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_basic_ref/lts/isi_basic.htm
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_basic_ref/lts/basic_adult.htm

I'd be SO careful about teaching yourself though. It's really easy to pick up bad habits that are hard to get rid of, and that could potentially hurt you. (Like dragging an inside edge on a t-stop, or landing jumps on the wrong part of you blade)

coskater64
08-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Taking lessons or getting a coach would be pragmatic.:halo: