View Full Version : Your first competition/how old you were/what you placed.

FSWer
08-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Say, for every skater here. I was wondering what the name of everyone's first competition was that they ever competed in? How old they were then,and what they placed?

*JennaD*
08-07-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't remember the name...but I was about 11 or 12 and I placed last!! woot:giveup:

jskater49
08-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Omaha Winter Fest, I was 40 something and I came in dead last.

j

Rusty Blades
08-08-2007, 04:18 AM
Age 57, the Canadian Adult Championships, Pre-Introductory Interpretive, and I was 1/2 point behind Bronze :P (and last :cry: )

Mrs Redboots
08-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Last, of course. I think you could count the times when I/we haven't placed last on the fingers of one hand - although, to be fair, Husband usually doesn't place last when he competes solo.

jcookie1982
08-08-2007, 07:55 AM
I was 23. It was a synchro competition and my team came in 1st place.

kateskate
08-08-2007, 08:08 AM
I was 22. It was a free skating competition. Level 1 and under. And I won - but there were only 2 in it! - shhhhh don't tell anyone ;)

liz_on_ice
08-08-2007, 08:34 AM
I was 38, it was an ISI competition and I was FS1. There were three ladies in my event and I tied for first.

jskater49
08-08-2007, 08:47 AM
I was 22. It was a free skating competition. Level 1 and under. And I won - but there were only 2 in it! - shhhhh don't tell anyone ;)

Hey that's how I got my gold medal - I beat one person! I do think it's funny that the only time I ever finished higher than last was when I won.

j

littlekateskate
08-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Well, I will post for DD since she is the skater lol. She was not even three yet and it was basic skills snowplow 3 i think lol and she got first. She has been in four competitions since and managed to get first in each of them :) lol we are slowly getting up there. We are in working on beta now :) haha

SynchroSk8r114
08-08-2007, 09:31 AM
I was 9 years old and competed a USFS Pre-Preliminary compulsary program. I came in 4th place out of 10 girls, which made me so happy because I beat girls that had been competing longer than I have! :D

flo
08-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Hmm. I was 30, it was anartistic piece and I placed 1st.

desabelle
08-08-2007, 12:19 PM
It was a spin spiral jump competition and I was 7, I placed 2 out of 12.

I was more nervous to get a medal, then I was to skate! :lol:

thumbyskates
08-08-2007, 12:53 PM
It was a Pre-Prelim freeskate competition, I was 9, and I came 8th out of 12.

doubletoe
08-08-2007, 12:56 PM
I was 38 and my first competition was Bronze Ladies II (now reclassified as III) at Pacific Coast Sectionals 2003. There were 13 of us and I somehow came in 2nd even though I slipped off the entrance edge to my camel-sit and missed the spin entirely. When I told my husband how I placed, all he could say was, "You're kidding. You're kidding, right? Really? No. . . You're kidding. . ." (Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence, honey! :roll: )

TimDavidSkate
08-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Standard:
1996 / 16 years old / Mid Atlantics-NYC / Pre-Prelim - 6th DEAD LAST 8O
I was soooo nervous, I didnt know how to control myself then, I was a mess, I did remember landing my axel from a stand still :P

Adult: (1st adult competition)
2003 / 23 yo / Peach Classic - GA / Gold Men - 3rd DEAD LAST (against National Gold Champ Kelton Brown)
I had oral surgery 4 days before the competition and it was my first time in years trying my 2sal - I fell of course

NoVa Sk8r
08-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Standard:
1996 / 12 years old / Mid Atlantics-NYC / Pre-Prelim - 6th DEAD LAST 8O
I was soooo nervous, I didnt know how to control myself then, I was a mess, I did remember landing my axel from a stand still :P12? Weren't you 16 then in 1996? ;)

Adult: (1st adult competition)
2003 / 23 yo / Peach Classic - GA / Gold Men - 3rd DEAD LAST (against National Gold Champ Kelton Brown)
I had oral surgery 4 days before the competition and it was my first time in years trying my 2sal - I fell of courseAh, we were all wondering what happened to you there. It looked like you were completely disoriented during the entire performance.

TimDavidSkate
08-08-2007, 01:38 PM
fixed it :D oops

TimDavidSkate
08-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Ah, we were all wondering what happened to you there. It looked like you were completely disoriented during the entire performance.

I felt like Kurt Browing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK2qvrPTYSU) Plus what the heck was I thinking trying to create a 2:40 program in 2 days... It was during those times too where I didnt pay attention to the technical requirements :frus: I just thought competing in adults just means I can go and do whatever I want with jumps and spins...
:roll:

jazzpants
08-08-2007, 03:53 PM
2001/33 years old/Skate San Francisco/Pre-Bronze FS Ladies II/Silver (shhhh... don't have to say that I'm 2nd out of two people now, do I? ;) )

doubletoe: I know what you mean about the "vote of confidence from hubby" story. When I won Pre-Bronze FS Ladies III-V in 2005, hubby was not there to watch b/c he was "stuck in traffic" and didn't get in 'til just after the results were posted. I was going towards the medal stands to get my Gold medal and to see if I need to be there to pose for pictures. I was told later on from a fellow skater that when she told my hubby that I was probably off getting my gold medal that his reply was "She WON!?!?!" 8O 8O 8O He ran into primary coach on his way to the medal stands, who confirmed that I had won that event.

Muskoka Skater
08-09-2007, 10:40 AM
My first competition I was 6years old, came 3rd, and it was Santa Skate.

Raye
08-10-2007, 03:23 AM
I was 49. It was the BC Adult Provincial competition at Prospera Centre in Chilliwack BC

My first event was freestyle and I came last out of 5

My second event was pre-intro interpretive and I came last out of 8

My third event was Solo dance - skated the Fiesta and 14-step - was the only competitior in my category so I got a gold medal.

I had the biggest fan club out of all the competitors that evening - my entire family turned out to cheer me on - my DH, my children, step-children, significant others of children and step-children, all my grandchildren and three of my best girlfriends!!! It was a very large support group and they ALL threw me flowers. It was awesome!

chowskates
08-10-2007, 04:23 AM
Say, for every skater here. I was wondering what the name of everyone's first competition was that they ever competed in? How old they were then,and what they placed?

The very first one? It was a "team compulsory" in an intercollegiate competition, I did the loop (my fav jump) and our team came in 2nd. I'm sure there were more than 2 teams... :P

For individual, well, I skated "intermediate" in another intercollegiate competition and came in dead last!

I have managed to do better than that since ;)

Cheers,
Chow