View Full Version : Skater's "Advice Please" Thread...

TimDavidSkate
08-07-2007, 10:32 AM
From my boredom I think having an advice column for skaters would be awesome! Everybody would just put their concerns and problems with their skating here.. Either from having it on youtube or describing the problem.

I'll start...
How do I get that snap to get more revolutions from a back camel ? :giveup:
Here I am trying a new spin from a new entrance and a new position = SPLAT!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KntQeNrV-ig)

wasabi
08-07-2007, 10:52 AM
The problem on the back camel is the entry edge. Try bending your skating knee a lot more. It also helps to set up for the edge on two feet and counter-rotate (twist to the right) before starting the edge so you can get more snap. Have you tried it from travelling 3's? Some skaters have a better time doing back camels that way -- do travelling double 3's on your right foot and then swing up ito the camel without touching down.

RinkRat321
08-07-2007, 11:29 AM
edit:/ nvm the vid i posted earlier it was kind of old and my 2loop has gotten better since and i want to post a more recent vid. so i'll edit this later

dbny
08-07-2007, 12:56 PM
From my boredom I think having an advice column for skaters would be awesome! Everybody would just put their concerns and problems with their skating here.. Either from having it on youtube or describing the problem.

Isn't that what we are already doing in this forum? I think it is a lot more useful to be able to search for a thread with a title relating to the specific problem than have to search/read a thread with all kinds of problems. JMO.

dcden
08-07-2007, 02:42 PM
I agree with dbny.

Sessy
08-07-2007, 03:25 PM
As do I. :giveup:

badaxel
08-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Finally, something I might be able to help with! Try checking your right shoulder more, see if that helps. Also, try pushing in the rotating direction with the heel of your free leg. That seems to help me get more speed in the spin, which makes it steadier.

TimDavidSkate
08-07-2007, 08:16 PM
The problem on the back camel is the entry edge. Try bending your skating knee a lot more. It also helps to set up for the edge on two feet and counter-rotate (twist to the right) before starting the edge so you can get more snap. Have you tried it from travelling 3's? Some skaters have a better time doing back camels that way -- do travelling double 3's on your right foot and then swing up ito the camel without touching down.

Finally, something I might be able to help with! Try checking your right shoulder more, see if that helps. Also, try pushing in the rotating direction with the heel of your free leg. That seems to help me get more speed in the spin, which makes it steadier.

Thanks for your advices & SUPPORT, I will try those this Friday when I skate and tape my progress...

:bow: ~

Isk8NYC
08-07-2007, 10:33 PM
I agree with dbny.That's okay to agree or disagree. Just do it in an agreeable way without insulting other members.

Personally, I prefer the searchable individual threads, too. When we mix problems in threads, it gets complicated to find answers.

BTW, I think Casey tried starting a weekly advice thread. Try and search to see if it's the same thing you're thinking about.

Dear Abby,

I once used to enjoy a certain online discussion forum until one poster started making posts which were redundant, silly, self-serving, offensive, uninformed, or some combination of the above. What do I do?

~Skating in Circles

Dear Skating in Circles,

Call 911!

~Abby

Snarky Signatures Batman! You just earned an infraction and one-week ban!
I've removed your signature. Please use the "Ignore" feature if you don't like someone. :roll:

Thanks for giving me something interesting to work on while I wait for KyleXY to air. Play nice, now.

doubletoe
08-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Okay, Isk8NYC, I am nominating you for the Online Moderator of the Year Award, LOL! You have also made my list of People Whom I Must Someday Meet in Person. 8-)

Isk8NYC
08-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Sorry, I missed the opportunity when you when to the Hackensack Camp. You're on my meetup list, too. Someday.

Let the "Freedom of Speech" complaints begin!!!!

Sessy
08-08-2007, 04:09 AM
Is it okay if I don't get at all what the last 5 or so posts are all about? Did I miss something while away? Is there something I should know?

Isk8NYC
08-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Is it okay if I don't get at all what the last 5 or so posts are all about? Did I miss something while away? Is there something I should know?
Nope. Nothing to see here - back OT - found Casey's weekly advice threads

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=21965&highlight=weekly+advice
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=22035&highlight=weekly+advice

NoVa Sk8r
08-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Ah, well, I read dcden's post/sig as humorous/mild sarcasm (and the chuckle was exactly what I needed during my tortuous day).

Anyway, carry on.

jazzpants
08-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Alright! Alright! So dcden's sig is a bit snarky. Given that...

http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d015.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/a055.gif

(Thanks, dcden! I needed the laugh yesterday...) :twisted: :lol:

TD... trust me... you're better off posting individual thread for each specific issue. (Like a thread for your axel and another for your back camel, back sit.)You're more likely to get the audience of people that can reply to your post rather than filtering thru everyone else's response to "another person's advice."

Okay, Isk8NYC, I am nominating you for the Online Moderator of the Year Award, LOL! You have also made my list of People Whom I Must Someday Meet in Person. 8-)I actually have had the pleasure of not only meeting but also skating and having lunch/dinner with ISk8NYC...twice in fact! 8-) Doubletoe, she's definitely worthy of your list of "People Whom You Must Someday Meet in Person." :bow:

dbny
08-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Ah, well, I read dcden's post/sig as humorous/mild sarcasm (and the chuckle was exactly what I needed during my tortuous day).

Whereas I didn't even see it until Isk8NYC pointed it out.

Isk8NYC
08-09-2007, 08:01 AM
I actually have had the pleasure of not only meeting but also skating and having lunch/dinner with ISk8NYC...twice in fact! 8-) Doubletoe, she's definitely worthy of your list of "People Whom You Must Someday Meet in Person." :bow:We did have some fun, didn't we Jazz? There are many people on this board that are nice in real life, too.

Back OT, the advice thread idea comes out when we skate at a meetup - HelenC tried to teach me how to do her stunning Spotted Back Spin at the Aviator meetup. I still can't do it, but I really enjoyed hanging out. I went to the movies/had dinner with another group, which was also fun.

Life's too short to waste, I've decided.

Isk8NYC
08-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Whereas I didn't even see it until Isk8NYC pointed it out.
That would be because I REMOVED it from the signature line, which made it 'disappear' from the original post.

I thought my witty reply was more funny than mocking someone for suggesting an idea.
I even got a non-existant award nomination for that creative writing assignment! LOL
Ah well, everyone has their own sense of humor.