View Full Version : Cancel the lesson? What would you do?

Skittl1321
08-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Okay- backstory- last Tuesday I had a really bad fall doing a catchfoot spiral. The doctor says she thinks I cracked a rib, and then had very bad bruising to the soft tissue beneath the ribs. It was pretty bad on Wednesday, and so bad on Thursday that I went in. Now, the front of my body is okay- my rib is tender to touch, but it doesn't hurt.

BUT Friday I started getting really bad mid-back pain. I think it's a result of the amount of strain put on my back everytime I did anything to contract my abs while that was hurting. All weekend I have done pretty much nothing but rest, and alternate heat and ice. So far, no pain killers have done anything. It is a constant, moderately painful ache, and pressure makes it severly painful. Movement doesn't really make any difference, but I haven't done anything rigorous.

Honestly the thing that has aggrevated it the most in the lying around the house mode is having to put a bra on when my husband had friends over- because the bra band is right where the pain is centered and puts pressure on it, even on the loosest hook

I'm trying to decide if I should cancel my Tuesday lesson. I need to do that tonight or tomorrow morning though- so I don't have to pay for a lesson I'm not using. Before you wonder WHY I'm evening having trouble deciding it's because I have a MITF test in two Sundays- and this weekend I'm out of town, so I'll have no ice. So I only have 2 chances to skate before the test.

Is it possible to have an effective "take it easy" lesson? (I'm working on PB MITF) or should I skip skating? I won't go in and practice if I don't take the lesson. (I think that would be rude to the coach, to take off the lesson, but still show up to skate).

What would you do?

Scarlett
08-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Wow...that is a tough one. I think it depends on how bad you are feeling and how prepared you are for the test. Of course, if putting a bra on makes you miserable then you should not be on the ice. If it were me, I would cancel the lesson and give my body a chance to heal. Maybe when you get back you could schedule an extra lesson. Good luck in whatever you decide.

SynchroSk8r114
08-05-2007, 08:42 PM
(I think that would be rude to the coach, to take off the lesson, but still show up to skate).

As a coach, I agree and would tell you without a doubt to take the day off until you are experiencing no pain. I have had bruised ribs and although they weren't crack, it still hurts! 8O There's no use pushing yourself and making it worse to the point where your body's too messed up to test. Explain to your coach, who I'm guessing saw your fall(?); I'm sure he or she will understand. There's always another test session - you need to take care of yourself first. Honestly, what's one day off the ice going to make this close to the test anyway? If you're ready, you're ready. If not, you weren't meant to pass. One day isn't going to make or break you (no pun intended).

CaraSkates
08-05-2007, 08:42 PM
I would go and take the lesson but I've also been in competitions with a 102oF fever (not recommended...I ended up in the ER that night with pneumonia, no my parents do not neglect me, my mom had me to the doctor two days earlier, they said I was fine and gave me cough syrup...grr but that is another story) and a broken arm -two different comps! one before the cast (idiot doc said it wasn't broken) and one with the cast...

I would tell my coach I am not feeling well and I would like to take it easy but still skate because of the test. My coach and I are very close, I've been at the rink injured many times (I am the QUEEN of sprained wrists...). For me, MIF are taking it easy because I am more likely to injure myself on axels/2sals/laybacks/flying camels than Pre-Juv/Juv MIF. For me, even just stroking around would keep me ready for the test - I just need to feel the ice under me.

EDIT - my coach would probably tell me not to come but I am a extremly stubborn teenager.... She most definitly would not let me jump/spin or do catchfoot spirals. Easy stroking

phoenix
08-05-2007, 08:51 PM
If you are determined to do the test, see if you can get the ribs taped (maybe you/your husband can do it). Make sure you tell your coach that you have broken ribs. My coach would send me home, I can tell you for sure. You may have to over-ride their wishes--are you prepared for that?

But if you're determined to gut it out, then do it--knowing that it's going to hurt. On the other hand, PB moves aren't that strenuous, don't involve much twisting, so it may not be that bad. 2 weeks for a broken bone won't be feeling much better than it is right now, so I think you'll just have to decide whether you're testing or not--then live with that decision. If you're testing, then skate. If not, then stay home & wait until you're not in pain anymore before going back.

Skittl1321
08-05-2007, 09:12 PM
If you are determined to do the test, see if you can get the ribs taped (maybe you/your husband can do it). Make sure you tell your coach that you have broken ribs. My coach would send me home, I can tell you for sure. You may have to over-ride their wishes--are you prepared for that?

But if you're determined to gut it out, then do it--knowing that it's going to hurt. On the other hand, PB moves aren't that strenuous, don't involve much twisting, so it may not be that bad. 2 weeks for a broken bone won't be feeling much better than it is right now, so I think you'll just have to decide whether you're testing or not--then live with that decision. If you're testing, then skate. If not, then stay home & wait until you're not in pain anymore before going back.

Well, I'm definetly testing. I'm so tired of the PB moves I don't want to wait for another test session!!!

The bone isn't the problem really- it's the lowest rib, and it's only a problem if I laugh or if I touch it, it's the back muscles.

I guess I'll just give it a try- and if it really hurts, I'll go home. Problem is- it probably won't hurt until the next day!

I'd be more likely to cancel it, but I haven't had my lesson the past two weeks- because coach was away at ISI worlds.

jazzpants
08-05-2007, 10:47 PM
I vote for cancelling the lesson. Trust me, your coach would understand... and I doubt he would want you to skate with a bruised/cracked rib either... It's high liability on his part if you had came in to skate with that injury.

singerskates
08-05-2007, 11:58 PM
I also vote for canceling the lesson. I'd also stay away from the ice a whole week and I'd get seen by a physiotherapist to work on those sore muscles in the mean time. The week leading up to the test I'd get my ribs taped, take Advil’s or what ever the doc prescribed if it doesn't make you dizzy and then do a pre-test the day before with your coach to see if you could pass the test with the pain you are feeling at the time. If your coach says that you're messing up too much, pull out with a medical note from the test. If your coach says you'll pass despite your pain, go for it. Take the test.

fsk8r
08-06-2007, 12:30 AM
I skated a couple of months ago the day after a little car crash which gave me whiplash in my lower back (not neck). the doctor had told me not to, I think he was worried about another fall. but what surprised me most my balance was shot, and I felt like I was constantly about to fall.
the next time I skated was for my real lesson and that wasn't so bad (about a week later), but I only did moves, and found that skating actually HELPED the bad back. the posture helps it.
but the doctor also said don't lie down with a bad back, keep active as it helps the muscles remember what they're meant to be doing.

doubletoe
08-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Why not just call your coach in the morning, explain the situation and ask how close to your lesson date and time you need to give her a definite answer. As long as coaches understand the situation and know you aren't just being a flake, they can often be a little more flexible.

Mrs Redboots
08-06-2007, 03:34 AM
Jessi, there will be other test sessions, but you only have one body!

Skittl1321
08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Well, I'm still hoping to test- I've been working on it for so long, I can't imagine taking a week off is going to make a HUGE difference. But I've had to cancel the lesson. The pain releavers are not doing anything, so she's switched the prescription to a strong muscle relaxant- which means skating will be unsafe.

But I should be able to take my lesson next week, and then do the test...

Sessy
08-06-2007, 03:54 PM
For what it's worth, I know dancers who trained straight through a series of cracked ribs. On heavy painkillers of course. But in dance, the upper body doesn't work as much as in skating, especially as far as stretching is concerned. They even did a competition on it but in their case, it was an emergency. It was sort of their last chance to get promoted into a higher class (and they did as far as I know), they needed to participate in 1 more competition (not even win or anything, just top 6 and it could be a very regional competition where they'd place easily, in their sleep just about).
And still the girl said it was HELL and that she would never do it again.

doubletoe
08-06-2007, 05:38 PM
OK, get well soon! Sending out positive vibes for your test in 2 weeks. :)

Skate@Delaware
08-06-2007, 08:59 PM
I will also say post-pone the test session. Once you explain what has happened, they will be glad to do so. Your coach will understand and will be more than happy to oblige! Just don't tape it on your own...docs don't do that anymore and doing it yourself could add more damage.

Skittl1321
08-07-2007, 04:28 AM
I will also say post-pone the test session. Once you explain what has happened, they will be glad to do so. Your coach will understand and will be more than happy to oblige! Just don't tape it on your own...docs don't do that anymore and doing it yourself could add more damage.

Oh- I wasn't going to tape them anyhow. The rib really isn't the problem. It hurts, but it doesn't hinder movement. My back is the problem- because the muscles have overcompensated for my abdomen. The muscle relaxer has made a HUGE difference in the quality of the pain (still hurts- but I can move). I expect I'll be close to fine by the test.

I'd cancel it- except I am so tired of PB moves, and the test session isn't local. Our local club is still provisional- so they can't hold tests. If I absolutely cannot skate then- I obviously won't do it.

Sessy
08-07-2007, 05:47 AM
In that case, yeah go with advil or other naproxen compounds :) And uhm, maybe a heat pack on your back or something.

Skittl1321
08-07-2007, 07:01 AM
In that case, yeah go with advil or other naproxen compounds :) And uhm, maybe a heat pack on your back or something.

That's what I'm doing :)

The Naproxen hadn't been doing anything so I got a prescription for a muscle relaxant as well (Flexeril) and that WITH the naproxen has made a huge difference. I can move now- though it still hurts alot, it's a different kind of pain. I'm alternating heat and ice, and both feel good while they are on, but don't really do anything once I take it off.

The only problem is the Flexeril kept me awake all last night, so now I'm exhausted.

Sessy
08-07-2007, 10:02 AM
As a muscle relaxant (usually during THAT time of the month but also sometimes after over-training) I usually take No-Spa (Drotaverine hydrochloride). Doesn't disturb my sleep or anything at all. It's just about the most widely used spasmolytic in the former Soviet countries.

Skate@Delaware
08-07-2007, 06:41 PM
I can understand (a bit) how badly you must be hurting. My chiropractor's wife tripped and fell down the steps and cracked her ribs. Just under her breast. So, she can't even wear a bra, moving hurts as does sleeping.

He tried to adjust her but she is still in too much pain from her neck down to her hips. So, it is ice/heat/pain relievers until the acute pain dies down and she can tolerate some adjustments. She isn't sleeping much either.

Hang in there! Try to rest when you can and eat healthy so your body can get the nutrition for healing.

Skittl1321
08-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I can understand (a bit) how badly you must be hurting. My chiropractor's wife tripped and fell down the steps and cracked her ribs. Just under her breast. So, she can't even wear a bra, moving hurts as does sleeping.

Oh goodness- this seems much worse than me. I didn't get x-rays, just the doctor said it's most likely I cracked the lowest rib. It wouldn't suprise me if I just bruised it. The rib is very tender and hurts to be touched and a bra is painful- but I did a full day of work today.

My main problem is once the pain in the abdomen went away, my back just went CRAZY because it had been taking all the stress of the front muscles when they weren't able to work.

The muscle relaxant has helped a ton.

I'm sad I didn't skate tonight- because I only hurt a little. But it was probably the best idea so I can skate next week.

dbny
08-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Glad you're starting to feel better. I had pneumonia when I was in my third trimester, and coughed so hard I was sure I had broken a rib, but hadn't. Soft tissue can really hurt!

Skittl1321
08-08-2007, 06:45 AM
Yesterday was a much better day than today is shaping up to be. My back is really hurting this morning. I did a full day at work yesterday (medicated!) and it seems like that may still be too much :(