View Full Version : In your own words....what's it like to compete?

FSWer
08-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Say,I was wondering if all our On Ice Skaters here wouldn't mind posting in their own words what it's like for them to compete and be a competitor? Please say your level(s) and Discipline(s).

jazzpants
08-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Sorta newly minted Adult Bronze FS level. The two words I'll say about competing: NERVE WRECKING!!! 8O 8O 8O (Okay, so I should at least have more competition experience under my belt to feel less nervous and at least now it's not as bad, but it's still kinda nerve wrecking after all these years of skating and competing and for me to not come in last as a Pre-Bronze FS lady was a feat in itself.)

November will be my very first competition as a Bronze FS level skater!!! I am expecting to come in last again, so I'm switching my focus away from the placement. :twisted: The only expectation I have of me this year is to do my best, skate as clean of a program as I possibly can and try to have as good a time as possible. :P

SynchroSk8r114
08-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Stressful, LOL! :lol:

But seriously, it can be a little nerve-racking, especially when you consider how much time, effort, and money you put into getting ready for a competition. To have only three minutes, for example, to prove yourself to a group of people who perhaps have never seen you skate before creates a lot pressure for some skaters. I know when I was still competing singles, I felt like that. Falling on a jump or not performing to the best of your ability is not nearly as frustrating as it is disappointing because deep down you know that you can land a double salchow or get five revolutions on a flying camel. It's just that sometimes things don't come together like they normally do...

After quitting competing back in 1999, I have started up again but now as a member of my university's synchronzied skating team. Let me tell you - skating on a team with 12 of your closest friends is a lot less nerve-racking than competing alone. Even if you mess up, you do so together. And when you win and persevere over a challenge - well, it's all that more sweeter because you share that experience together! Still, I never want to be the one to mess up the footwork and take a whole line down...;)

WeirFan06
08-05-2007, 07:39 PM
I don't really get too nervous, I just have fun. At AN I saw the group I was competing against and went 8O... so when it came time to compete I just said to my coach "Jay, I may finish dead last, but damnit I'm going to have fun!" I missed elements and pretty much sucked, lol, but it was still fun. Plus I had "beautiful hair." (I think that's what people tell you when your skating stinks!!!) Oh, and I'm bronze lady I.

looplover
08-05-2007, 07:41 PM
I haven't competed in USFSA yet - only competed twice in ISI and had to skate against the book both times (nobody skated against me). I beat the book but I was SO NERVOUS. The second time was much better than the first in terms of nervousness, but on the video I look like someone's trying to kill me.

I'm really looking forward to competing in USFSA because I feel like a much stronger skater now just in the last few months (thanks to moves in the field). Plus there are a lot of adult bronze skaters around here so I'll actually skate against a person! :)

I still have to get that backspin though and pass both bronze tests (I think I will pass moves this month). Maybe I can compete again later in the year. I know you can skate up a level but I don't want to do that right now without the backspin. I've got the other stuff down for competing in bronze, I think.

Skate@Delaware
08-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Well, for the first few competitions I skated ISI and was scared to death! Couldn't breathe, mouth was dry, forgot what I was doing....but it got easier as time went on and I continued skating in them.

So far, I've done 6 ISI comps (first place, against the book) and 1 USFSA comp (first place against two competitors) and although the competitions are less nerve-wracking, they are still stressful.

HOWEVER, each time I take the ice, I tell myself that it is MY SOLO SPOTLIGHT...making up for each ice show where I only get a group number. It helps.

This year I'm at ISI 3 and already starting to stress.....but looking forward to it!!!!

Rusty Blades
08-05-2007, 09:05 PM
I did my first EVER competition last March at age 57, after skating only 14 months. I did a Pre-Introductory Interpretive at the Canadian Adult Championships.

It was a tough road getting there! I decided I wanted to go the previous spring and I worked my tail off. I didn't have any great or special skills but wanted to do something.

The whole experience was absolutely magical! There aren't many adult competitors around here and to be surrounded by 125 other A.O.S.S. suffers was GREAT!

I had a great and very experienced coach at competition and my attitude was right where I wanted it going on to the ice. Taking to the ice at a National competition was beyond my childhood dreams and although I didn't skate well technically, I performed and presented well.

When the program was done and the crowd applauded, whistled, and threw stuffies, I felt like I had just won World's !

I could never find the glowing words to convey the atmosphere at Adult Nationals . . . magical is the closest I can come.

tidesong
08-05-2007, 09:39 PM
stressful for me, but once in a while something magical happens (like I land a difficult jump nicely or hit a nice step sequence or spiral sequence or spins) ... and its pretty amazing..

of course most of the time my legs freeze up I can't get them to bend, I suddenly fear that I can't do things that I've been doing easily without thought on normal practise sessions... like I do axels in competitions but I regularly two foot my waltz jumps in competition warm ups.

And but overall i found that the gathering of all the skaters at one location, the chatting... i think thats the best part of competitions and of course If i didnt skate I wouldn't get to show off what I can do, so i skate even if it stresses me to bits.

chowskates
08-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Say,I was wondering if all our On Ice Skaters here wouldn't mind posting in their own words what it's like for them to compete and be a competitor? Please say your level(s) and Discipline(s).

Before: stressed out; legs feel like jelly, yet just won't bend! :roll:
After: exhilarated, let's do this again - forgetting the "before" scenario

jazzpants
08-05-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't really get too nervous, I just have fun. At AN I saw the group I was competing against and went 8O... so when it came time to compete I just said to my coach "Jay, I may finish dead last, but damnit I'm going to have fun!" I missed elements and pretty much sucked, lol, but it was still fun. Plus I had "beautiful hair." (I think that's what people tell you when your skating stinks!!!) Oh, and I'm bronze lady I.I saw your video. You didn't suck THAT much... and I expected you to have beautiful hair given that Jay wouldn't even LET you out on the ice unless your hair is gorgeous. (Advantage of having an ice coach that's a professional hairdresser too.) ;) :lol:

Mel On Ice
08-05-2007, 10:49 PM
I still get nervous competing, but it used to be so bad, that I simply couldn't eat. NOT GOOD when you are doing a sport that involves physical activity. And once I started making friends in the sport, it became less stressful, knowing you were going out there with a solid support group cheering you on. I skated against 8 others in my first ever competition, and I'm happy to say that I am still friends with 4 of them.

Mrs Redboots
08-06-2007, 03:30 AM
Before: "Why did I think this was a good idea?"

Afterwards, either (usually) floods of tears, or totally and utterly over the moon, higher than the proverbial kite!

liz_on_ice
08-06-2007, 10:12 AM
I've competed in ISI twice, once at FS1 and once at FS2. It's scary putting myself out in public like that, but my husband and kids can watch, they don't usually get up early enough! My mom even came to the last one, she's never seen me skate since I started taking lessons.

I love the fantasy. I've got the dress, the music, the ice, the judges. My family cheers when I land my jumps. Maybe it's just a small-time thing, but it *feels* like the real deal. It is the icing on all those dark early mornings and sweat and bruises.

-Liz

TimDavidSkate
08-06-2007, 10:17 AM
I love the stress and the anticipation the week of competition. Not knowing what will happen, what your competitors have and comparing to them what your lacking, figuring out if its enough to win. :frus:

The rush of adrenaline the day of competition. The feeling of stepping into warmup and the words "what the heck did I get myself into?" :giveup: keep chanting in your head. And just basically wanting to crawl into a ball and sleep through the day. 8O

Thankfully at the last second before I start my program I get over it and find myself getting into a "buble/zone"...

Summerkid710
08-06-2007, 11:30 AM
I've been competing on and off since I was 6 (now 32). I've competed solo, spotlight, compulsories, figures, synchro, production number, USFS, ISI Alpha through FS6, juvenile free... you name it.

I love being on the ice by myself (or with a team). I love projecting to the crowd. I love the feel of skating clean. The nervewracking aspects are definitely there. I love performing.

I've competed adult synchro in recent years. I also coach senior youth synchro and some private students. I had a student go to ISI Worlds a few weeks ago and I wished I had been out on the ice -- I was living vicariously through her during her solo.

Now, I'm really considering going back to solo skating and competing.

Petlover
08-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I've been competing ISI for several years and USFSA once or twice a year (Adult Pre-Bronze) for the last couple of years. I love it! I never know how bad the nerves will be, so I have trained myself to accept the nerves, and when I am in my starting position, take a deep breath and force the nerves to channel into excitement energy. I also don't compete with the idea that winning is important - which is good, since I usually (except for this past weekend) come in last. I compete to accomplish my goals and enjoy being in front of the crowd.

daisies
08-06-2007, 08:25 PM
I compete in Masters Interpretive and, when the mood strikes, Masters Junior FS.

Competing is stressful to me, but it's only because I am a perfectionist and am hard on myself if I don't skate well. I don't compete unless I am ready, so I am not one to do competitions throughout the year as "warmups" -- I only do Adult Nationals and, when I can, Adult Sectionals.

One thing I learned early on as an adult that I wish I'd realized when I was competing as a kid is that there's nothing you can do about your competitors and how they skate. You can only control what you do. So I never stress out about what my competitors are doing; it makes no difference to me. If I did worry about them, I'd probably die of a heart attack, because that on top of the pressure I put upon myself would be enough to kill anyone. ;)

My favorite thing about competing, though, is performing for the crowd and also hanging out with all the people I only get to see about once a year!

Skate@Delaware
08-06-2007, 08:42 PM
You know, I used to get really, really, scared to skate in front of people during shows (and competitions). It took one thought to change it to a more calming experience:

Everyone in that audience watching is there because someone they love is skating that day! Moms, dads, husbands, wives, grandma's and grandpa's, aunts, uncles, brothers, and sister, etc. are there because they are watching someone they love!!!

Once I realized that they were full of love, it made it that much easier to skate my best for them (and me). When I mentor a young newbie competitor, I tell her the same thing. I do hope it helps them as well!

blackmanskating
08-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I compete in Masters Interpretive and, when the mood strikes, Masters Junior FS.

Competing is stressful to me, but it's only because I am a perfectionist and am hard on myself if I don't skate well. I don't compete unless I am ready, so I am not one to do competitions throughout the year as "warmups" -- I only do Adult Nationals and, when I can, Adult Sectionals.

One thing I learned early on as an adult that I wish I'd realized when I was competing as a kid is that there's nothing you can do about your competitors and how they skate. You can only control what you do. So I never stress out about what my competitors are doing; it makes no difference to me. If I did worry about them, I'd probably die of a heart attack, because that on top of the pressure I put upon myself would be enough to kill anyone. ;)

My favorite thing about competing, though, is performing for the crowd and also hanging out with all the people I only get to see about once a year!

Even though I have never competed, I can see that I am a lot like "Dasies." I am also a perfectionist and I am extremely hard on myself. I am trying to bypass that, but it doesn't always work. I am trying to do the best I can. But I am not satisfied unless my best is better than it was yesterday. I'm not quite ready for the halloween classic because I am still working on my program, so I may just go straight for Adult Sectionals if I can pull off these moves tests. If not, then I'll make my debut in '09. I'm not going to push too hard. My first moves tests is in 2 weeks. I'm a bit nervous so I am just trying to relax and focus and give the best performance I can. We'll see what we happens.

BlackManSkating

jskater49
08-07-2007, 07:06 AM
I used to get terribly horribly miserably nervous to the point that I wished I had never signed up - but I've done it enough now that I enjoy it. I'm pre bronze but I can pretty much only do exactly what I could do when I tested pre-bronze and most pre-bronze competitors are doing bronze programs so I never have a snowball's chance in hell which actually takes a lot of the pressure off. I compete because it gives me a goal to work for, which I need and since now I'm in a position where I'm not anywhere close to being ready to test ANYTHING...competition serves to give me that goal.

j

flo
08-07-2007, 08:54 AM
I like getting out on the ice and performing. I don't stress about what anyone is doing, it would make me nuts!

Scarlett
08-07-2007, 09:14 AM
I've only done two competitions..one an ISI couple where me and my friend skated against one other team that wasn't too bad and one USFSA pre-bronze where I wanted to quickly get off the ice and go to the bar. Seriously, I spent my time wondering why I was there. I get so nervous. I'm not sure I will compete again. I also freaked out when I tested my pre-bronze moves and free. I forget how to skate when I'm on the ice by myself.

Raye
08-08-2007, 02:22 PM
I like getting out on the ice and performing. I don't stress about what anyone is doing, it would make me nuts!

Ditto... I like having the entire ice surface, the audience and judges all to myself!!

I compete at the Bronze level in freeskate, dance and interp.

izzy
08-08-2007, 05:41 PM
I loved compation. you ahve the ice to your self and all eyes are on you. Its all about having fun and getting into your zone where no matter how many people are there and you know they are there it does not matter its just you out there. Miss the compations

Novice competative FS

Muskoka Skater
08-09-2007, 10:53 AM
I get a little nervous before, then I go out there and I know that everybody is watching me and it's all up to me to do my best. When I finish I know that there are no do overs and I have to be happy with what I did. Sr.Bronze Ladies!

FSWer
08-09-2007, 11:31 AM
What's a day at a competition like for a skater?

Mrs Redboots
08-10-2007, 08:59 AM
What's a day at a competition like for a skater?
Well, mad panic to start with because have you got everything and has Husband got everything and is he sure he has his bow tie and cummerbund (he has been known to forget these). You usually have to get up before sparrow-fart, or if not, it means you're spending the night near the rink, and that means remembering overnight things, too.

So you pack your bags - skates, costumes, bling, make-up, anything you need for overnight, oops, nearly forgot a mirror, and many rinks don't have them..... Now, this dress for that dance, and that dress for the other dance, and does Husband have the top he needs for his free programme, and which trousers is he taking, and if he's taking his dance trousers, has he got the belt he uses.... And have we got two copies of all of our music - put spare copy of mine in his skate bag, and take his spare copy in mine, and make sure there are two copies of our Free Dance music, and are they all correctly labelled?

In the morning, you set out, remembering such other necessities as a packed lunch (possibly), at least 2 litres of water, a hip flask and some dark nut chocolate. On the way, you play Maybe this time.... from Cabaret, in the hope that it will be true ("It's gotta happen/happen some time/maybe this time I'll win!")

You arrive at the rink, and the first thing you have to do is visit the ladies' (or gents', as appropriate). When you have done that, you go to the registration desk and register, give in your music and buy a programme. Then you go and dump your stuff in the changing-rooms, if there's room, and if it's not time to get changed, you (in theory) go and sit down and watch the competition, only if you're me you get very restless so you prowl around and see who is here, and greet your friends, and see if there is a stall, and if so, what it is selling.... and so on.

Finally it's time to go and warm up and dress and change, so you do all that, and get ready, and come out with your spare music in one hand and your purse and your water in the other. Then you find you're far too early, so you have to try to keep warm with your boots on, which isn't easy. Or else you find you're only just in time and it's a bit of a panic.

Either way, the gate steward seems to want you to be standing there hours in advance, and time has slowed right down. You need the loo, but there's no way you'd have time to go.

Finally it's time for you to get on and warm up, which you do. Then if you're skating first, you have to miss the last few seconds of your warm-up to take off your warm-up jacket and have a last drink of water, and wish again there was time for the loo. If you're not first, you get off and either watch or don't watch the skaters ahead of you, depending on your temperament, taking sips of water as your mouth is totally dry, and wishing there was time to go to the loo.

And then you're on.... and then you're off again, and if you're me, you're probably thinking, "Oh ****, I didn't do that very well, can I have another go?", but it's too late.... or you may be totally over the moon because you skated as well as you possibly could, in which case you come down to earth with a bump when the highest mark you get is 0.8 and you wonder what the judges were looking at..... Oh well.

If there are more than 2 other skaters or couples, you go and get changed and pick up your music, and then you can relax for the rest of the day. Otherwise, you put on a jacket and maybe your jeans or trackie bums under your dress, and if there's hours to go you take your boots off, and relax until it is time for the Presentations. Either way, you also finally make yourself comfortable and possibly get a cup of tea in the café, and maybe even a bacon roll if it's that sort of café. And now is the time to dose yourself from your hip flask and to eat chocolate. And watch the rest of the comp, and cheer your friends, and generally enjoy yourselves, and when the marks go up go and see how badly you came last by, and which judges had a brainstorm and didn't put you last (if any!).

Then, when the comp has finished, you either go home if you're free to do so or you put your skates back on for the Presentations and get cold waiting for your particular class to be called. And then when that bit is over, you go and get changed, only to find that Husband is chatting to someone and hasn't even begun to change and you are so longing to get in the car and flake out.... for you are exhausted, and all you want to do is sleep.... And in the car on the way home you play "We are the champions" very loudly, especially if one of you won or placed not by default, but even if you didn't....

Thin-Ice
08-10-2007, 09:10 AM
This is a BRILLIANT description of a competition day!! You didn't leave out anything (except possibly getting lost on the way to a new rink!).:bow:

Mrs Redboots
08-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Thank you. Yes, getting lost en route and also being almost late because of a traffic jam - accident on the motorway, or some such.