View Full Version : How did you decide to Synchro. Skate?

FSWer
08-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Say,Airfairy did this for Ice-Dance. So I thought I'd try this myself with Synchro. Skating. So I would like to know...how did you deside to Synchro. Skate?

SynchroSk8r114
08-04-2007, 08:06 PM
My university started up a team in October of 2006. I had never skated synchro previously, but I have 13 years of singles (dance, MIF, freestyle) skating experience, and figured I'd give it a try. I thought, 'What do I have to lose? I'll go to the informational meeting and see what's its all about...'

When I realized what synchro entailed and how many of my fellow skating friends would be trying out, I decided to join. The cost of the team is apparently much cheaper than the cost of joining, say...a Senior-level team. There was also the lure of possible scholarships through the team, which played a big part in my decision to join financially. Plus, this is the first synchronized skating team at my university, so the fact that I would be a member (and vice-president) of the first team was really cool...

Ever since joining, I fell in love with synchro! I love the challenge of working with others with different strengths and weakness and accomplishing something with 12 of your closest friends. This discipline offers different components of figure skating that you can't always attain from singles skating: teamwork, pushing through your challenges, etc., and I really enjoy that about this sport. :D

Skittl1321
08-05-2007, 07:32 AM
I saw a poster for a precision team at the rink when I was a little kid. I wanted to do it so badly- but I couldn't take skating classes then because the rink was so far from my house. So now I live close to a rink with an adult synchro team and I hope to join them as soon as I have the money!

Mrs Redboots
08-05-2007, 08:34 AM
It's not for me!

jcookie1982
08-05-2007, 08:42 AM
I had seen synchro teams practicing when i was a kid, and always wanted to skate on a team. Fast forward about 10 years when I actually started taking lessons and decided to try out for a team and loved it.

FSWer
08-05-2007, 09:42 AM
I saw a poster for a precision team at the rink when I was a little kid. I wanted to do it so badly- but I couldn't take skating classes then because the rink was so far from my house. So now I live close to a rink with an adult synchro team and I hope to join them as soon as I have the money!

Well Jessi....I surely wish you luck.

Scarlett
08-05-2007, 10:32 AM
I saw some of the kids doing it and it looked like a lot of fun. I was searching for an adult intro team with no luck until I ran or cyber-ran into a jcookie who told me about her synchro team. They are skating adult instead of adult open this year but I'm going to give a shot.

Schmeck
08-05-2007, 10:42 AM
There was a start-up team at our local club - daughter Icy had just quit gymnastics (after 7 years!) and decided to try out. She made the team, and she's been madly in love with the sport ever since. Now she's a junior in high school and her college choices are going to have synchro teams, I know it!

SynchroSk8r114
08-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Now she's a junior in high school and her college choices are going to have synchro teams, I know it!

Synchro is becoming more and more popular across college campuses. My university just started a synchro team in Fall 2006, and we've done pretty well recruiting quite a few skaters from across the U.S. We are located in western Pennsylvania and we're always looking for more skaters down the road...:)

ic3ang3l
08-08-2007, 05:33 PM
i loved watching it on tv when i was younger.
and when i first started skating i saw my rink's team and just had to join.

Raye
08-10-2007, 03:37 AM
When I told a friend that I had decided to skate again, she said to me "great, we are starting a Masters Sychro team, why not come and give it a try?"

I will try anything once - so I went and I loved it.

FSWer
08-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Say,btw. how were you all introduced to the skaters on your Team?

SynchroSk8r114
08-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Say,btw. how were you all introduced to the skaters on your Team?

Some of the girls were fellow skaters or coaches (like myself) that I knew from just being at the rink, others were girls I knew when I was a lot younger and skating at a different rink, and some were girls I had never met. For the girls I didn't know or hadn't seen in a while, we all got together on our first day and chatted between try-outs and all, getting more and more friendly as the weeks went on.

This year we have a few new girls coming to the team. Again, one is someone I coach/skate with and two of the others are girls I'd never met before. I have been speaking to one of the new girls via the Internet and another social networking site, and I can't wait to meet her in person. She's also going to my university, so I'm sure they'll be plenty of time to hang out off the ice.

As for formal getting-to-know-yous - zilch.

FSWer
08-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Some of the girls were fellow skaters or coaches (like myself) that I knew from just being at the rink, others were girls I knew when I was a lot younger and skating at a different rink, and some were girls I had never met. For the girls I didn't know or hadn't seen in a while, we all got together on our first day and chatted between try-outs and all, getting more and more friendly as the weeks went on.

This year we have a few new girls coming to the team. Again, one is someone I coach/skate with and two of the others are girls I'd never met before. I have been speaking to one of the new girls via the Internet and another social networking site, and I can't wait to meet her in person. She's also going to my university, so I'm sure they'll be plenty of time to hang out off the ice.

As for formal getting-to-know-yous - zilch.

What is the usual way they introduce you, if your brand-new and don't know anyone at all?

SynchroSk8r114
08-15-2007, 07:40 PM
What is the usual way they introduce you, if your brand-new and don't know anyone at all?

Well, our coach said things along the lines of "This is so-and-so" and mentioned a little bit about their synchro experience (if any). Basically, however, you had to step out of your shell and introduce yourself. Everyone on my team is pretty friendly - it's kind of hard not to be when you're skating with someone! - so, it just took time, but we all got aquainted just by seeing each other throughout the week.

I'm not sure if there is a "usual" way...I only know what my team has done. I know that some of the younger/lower level teams at my rink have had team functions, like pool parties, dinners, etc.