View Full Version : new here, and have a boot question

ibreakhearts66
08-03-2007, 01:11 AM
hey everyone. my name is sarah. i'm 17 and I started skating 5 years ago, but I haven't been skating for 5 years. My coach jokes that I skate about once a year. I have skated less than 10 times in the past two years due to illness and injury. Before I stopped skating regularly, I had up to my 2lutz consistent.

In march I had my ankle ligaments reconstructed. I'm a soccer player, and after having surgery on my torn meniscus, I managed to tear all 3 outside ligaments in my ankle. So, after surgery, my ankle is stronger than it was after injury, but not as strong as pre-injury. I think the combination of my bad ankle and old skates are messing me up. Ive been skating about 4 or 5 times since surgery, and I can land my axel and double loop again, and am getting close to my double flip. However, my double sal is really rough on my ankle (its my landing ankle thats bad). My other jumps also sometimes leave me on the ice, wondering if I'm going to be able to get up.

I've been wearing custom Harlicks, stiffness equal to the high tester (I believe). But I've had them for about 3 years, and for the first year I had them, I was definitely rough on them. I jumped and jumped for hours. I've decided its time for new skates, so now the question actually begins.

Do you guys think I should stick with my Harlicks? I've had very limited problems with them. The orthotic arch support caused some pain sometimes, and the stitching in the toe box tended to separate my cuticle from my big toe, but thats really about it. Now, after surgery, I get pain in the forefoot area. The biggest problem is that they don't seem to mesh with my ankle.

So basically, right now, I'm trying to decide between custom Harlicks or Klingbeils. I really like that Klingbeils are totally custom, not just "customized." It also seems like they would work really hard to build a boot that could support my ankle properly, but not be overly-stiff.

Just fyi, I have very high, rigid arches. My heels are narrow, my forefoot wide. I am 5'6 and weigh 120 pounds.

What do I dooooooo????? I'd really like to hear from people who have Klingbeils. The people I've come across online who weaer them seem to love them.

Also, for any Klingbeil-wearing skaters in the southern california area, by whom did you get fit? Culver City is most convenient for me, but I'm not sure how good a fitter the man who works there is. I would be willing to travel to Anaheim or Irvine to get fit. I've always been fit for Harlicks by Mary in Burbank, but she doesn't do Klingbeils :(

doubletoe
08-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Klingbeil says Hans at the sport shop in Culver City is one of the better fitters. This is according to an adult skater at Culver who knows the Klingbeil guys and I believe had her last 2 pairs of Klingbeils fitted by Hans. She loves them. Hans fitted me for my SP Teris and did a good job, too.

wasabi
08-03-2007, 02:17 PM
I have custom Klingbeils (and have for several years), and absolutely love them. That said, they don't work for everyone, and if you're doing well in your Harlicks, I'd be inclined to stick with them.

doubletoe
08-03-2007, 03:12 PM
P.S. I just noticed you said narrow heel and wide forefoot. If your foot is a little wide in the toes, that might explain your minor problems with the Harlicks (which I would personally not want to live with). SP Teris are wider in the toe box than the traditional Harlick boot, although Harlick now offers two different designs: one with the narrower toe box and one with a wider toe box. Having said that, I keep hearing that the roomiest toe box is actually Klingbeil's.

bruingrl
08-03-2007, 07:32 PM
P.S. I just noticed you said narrow heel and wide forefoot. If your foot is a little wide in the toes, that might explain your minor problems with the Harlicks (which I would personally not want to live with). SP Teris are wider in the toe box than the traditional Harlick boot, although Harlick now offers two different designs: one with the narrower toe box and one with a wider toe box. Having said that, I keep hearing that the roomiest toe box is actually Klingbeil's.

I have the same problem with wide toes and narrow heel. But I can also say that I've got SP Teris, from about 8 years ago, and even with the BC special order the toebox is still too narrow for me. My toes get squished every time I skate. (Yes I know I need new skates but I can't afford them right now.)

doubletoe
08-03-2007, 10:30 PM
I have the same problem with wide toes and narrow heel. But I can also say that I've got SP Teris, from about 8 years ago, and even with the BC special order the toebox is still too narrow for me. My toes get squished every time I skate. (Yes I know I need new skates but I can't afford them right now.)

Wow, I don't usually meet people whose feet are wider in the toes than mine, LOL! We need to meet so I can show your feet to my husband, who has "pointy" toes and thinks mine are weird. Actually, my B width SP Teris are just a little narrow in the ball & pinky toe when they're cold and stiff, so my new boots are customs and are in-between B and C width in the ball. My toes just love them! Unfortunately, I'm making myself keep them in the box until my current ones start breaking down (the right boot started breaking down so I got it reinforced right as I was ordering these, and now I have to wait for it to start breaking down again. :roll:)

Skate@Delaware
08-04-2007, 08:22 AM
I got split-sized Jackson Elites last year and they are great! D-width in the toes and AAA-heel. No slipping when I jump. I have the D-width because of bunions (dumb bunions!!!)

Wish I could find shoes for work that fit in the heels......can't so I just wear sneakers and skechers.

ibreakhearts66
08-04-2007, 11:21 AM
just thought i'd let people know what i've decided...
i'm going to Hans today to get either klingbeils or possibly grafs. I realized I should clairfy--I don't have a WIDE forefoot, just wide compared to my heel. I've tried on some stock SP Teris a few years back, but they were all wrong for my feet. I'll let you guys know what I order!

ibreakhearts66
08-04-2007, 07:44 PM
well, i ordered the Harlicks from Hans. He is such a bizarre guy--this was our phone conversation "Hi, is Hans working today?" "Speaking" "can I come in to get fit for Klingbeils?" "yes" "do I need an appointment?" "no. should be no problem."
a man of few words.

so yeah, placed the order. I ordered very strong, which I'm a little nervous about...I know Klingbeil used to have a reputation for making cement boots. But Hans thought they would be fine, especially given my ankle. Got the rubber tongue with wool center, very soft, heel hugger padding. Clarino lining, scallop...I think thats it? I thought about getting a dance back cutout like I had on my Harlicks, but decided against it.

i can't wait to get these skates! but I am definitely nervous. I just hope its not too much boot for me.

I was surprised at how cheap they were--635. My Harlicks had to be at least 900 before the blade. I thought that Klingbeil started charging extra for the add-ons, but maybe not? Hans didn't charge extra. The website doesn't say they charge extra, but IDK if they just haven't updated...

doubletoe
08-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Hans is an acquired taste, LOL! I've known him since 1992 and I remember his gruff demeanor really intimidated me at first. But he warms up over time, and he is always willing to put in an extra screw, fix something on your boot, etc. free of charge. Best of all, he never over-charges for anything. I checked around and he always has the lowest prices. Hope you love your new boots!

Kristin
08-05-2007, 07:42 AM
well, i ordered the Harlicks from Hans. He is such a bizarre guy--this was our phone conversation "Hi, is Hans working today?" "Speaking" "can I come in to get fit for Klingbeils?" "yes" "do I need an appointment?" "no. should be no problem."
a man of few words.

so yeah, placed the order. I ordered very strong, which I'm a little nervous about...I know Klingbeil used to have a reputation for making cement boots. But Hans thought they would be fine, especially given my ankle. Got the rubber tongue with wool center, very soft, heel hugger padding. Clarino lining, scallop...I think thats it? I thought about getting a dance back cutout like I had on my Harlicks, but decided against it.

i can't wait to get these skates! but I am definitely nervous. I just hope its not too much boot for me.

I was surprised at how cheap they were--635. My Harlicks had to be at least 900 before the blade. I thought that Klingbeil started charging extra for the add-ons, but maybe not? Hans didn't charge extra. The website doesn't say they charge extra, but IDK if they just haven't updated...

Glad you ordered your boots! FYI: my custom Harlicks only cost 675, and that's a pretty standard price for custom boots from them. That's the same price my friend also paid for her custom Harlicks, and she ordered the quadra-bond bricks.

Kristin
08-05-2007, 07:46 AM

SP Teri's are NOT wider in the toe box. I know because I have HUGE bunions to prove it. I have to go with a custom boot now, and went with Harlick because their new X-line can accomodate my super-narrow heel with extremely wide toe box.

My feet are verseup from years of standing on my toes in ballet as well as from skating. I just like those sports that are hard on feet! :roll:

ibreakhearts66
08-05-2007, 11:34 PM
My feet are verseup from years of standing on my toes in ballet as well as from skating. I just like those sports that are hard on feet! :roll:

haha i hear ya. i like sports that are hard on shins--track, soccer, skating. people are always very surprised when they find out just how many stress fractures i've had in my left shin

doubletoe
08-06-2007, 12:25 AM
SP Teri's are NOT wider in the toe box. I know because I have HUGE bunions to prove it. I have to go with a custom boot now, and went with Harlick because their new X-line can accomodate my super-narrow heel with extremely wide toe box.

Sounds like the Harlick X-Line is a good option for those with wide toes who don't want to have to get customs. That's good to know!