View Full Version : technique question--better edges

mikawendy
09-21-2002, 06:05 PM
I was wondering if any of you have pointers for improving edges? I've not been told mine are bad, but they feel shallow to me. Is it just a matter of deep knee bend and practice? Is it better to practice them on a smaller circle at first to feel a deeper edge?

Each time I practice, I spend about 1/2 hour on all of the edges and on crossovers.

thanx :D

TashaKat
09-22-2002, 02:02 AM
Hi :)

Edges are one of those many things in skating that can ALWAYS be improved upon!

I practise edges down the side of the rink first off and think about getting the weight over the skate and good knee bend. My coach once said to me "if they're not scary you're not pushing yourself, you need to feel as though you're on the edge of falling off it THAT is the only way that you'll improve them". My edges weren't 'bad' but there was huge room for improvement! I knew what she meant though, I was playing it 'safe' when I did them, pushing yourself a little bit more into the 'fright night' zone really does help to get them better.

Another thing that I do for FO's (and it could work for the others) is to start a FO edge on a hockey circle and actively spiral it in towards the middle until the only thing left to do is a 3turn (it's amazing how smooth this final 3turn is!). You have to really press with the knees/ankles for this one but it helped me enormously. This exercise also shows up any flaws in your control!! It sounds easy but it's amazing how that upper body starts to swing around.

I'm sure everyone else will have some gems too. Good luck

L x

Dustin
09-22-2002, 08:03 AM
Deep knee bend is always important. I also have my blade sharpened deeper than normal (although a few top skaters have it sharpened deep) and that gives me a better grip on the ice.

Mrs Redboots
09-22-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by TashaKat

Another thing that I do for FO's (and it could work for the others) is to start a FO edge on a hockey circle and actively spiral it in towards the middle until the only thing left to do is a 3turn (it's amazing how smooth this final 3turn is!). You have to really press with the knees/ankles for this one but it helped me enormously. This exercise also shows up any flaws in your control!! It sounds easy but it's amazing how that upper body starts to swing around.
I do that on all 8 edges, sometimes. I had to do it on my RBO edge in my lesson today, and it actually got a "not bad!" which surprised me. I was then reminded to do the other edge in my practice, as we were out of time by then.

Other ways of improving your edges: don't put your foot down on a flat and then rock on to an edge, which is a bad habit that all too many of us have. Get into the habit of putting your foot down on an edge. Always use edges, even if you are just pottering round winding down. Make sure your weight it correctly over the relevant hip - practising changes-of-edge helps on this one.

jasmine
09-22-2002, 11:09 AM
1. It's not just knee bend, it's ankle flex too. Practise flexing your ankles inwards and outwards. Two-foot slalom is good for this (ask your coach to show you, because kneebend and flex come into it).
2. Find a very good skater. Do forward crossovers round in a circle with your partner skating inside your tracing alongside you. Press your hands against your partner's hands (as though you were playing pattacake). Really press against the hands and bend your knees/ankles (keepin hips forwards). You should get onto humungous edges you won't forget in a hurry.
3. LFO cross-roll, RFO cross-roll, LFO cross-roll, RFO edge all the way round in a circle to your starting point (circle will be probably about four or five feet diameter). Repeat all the way along long axis. Then do same exercise for all your edges (LFO, RFI, LFI and backwards RBO-XR LBO-XR RBO circle etc etc.)
4. Learn some of the very easy dances (Rhythm Blues etc) to a high standard (ie. full rink size, with edges) and incorporate these in your practice.
5. Tashakat's exercise of LFO spiralling into centre of circle can also be done on two feet. So your outside foot can give stability (trailing slightly and holding straighter), while your inside leg has great knee and ankle flex (with hip over skate).
6. One of our rink dance coaches reckons it takes people anything from three to five years to get really good edges. So keep enjoying and practising edges.

flo
09-23-2002, 10:02 AM
What you're doing is the best way to improve them - practicing each time you're on the ice. You are also at a level now where you can take an edge class. There are a couple in the area for adults and they're great. There are also several good coaches in our area that excell in teaching adults edges. When the adults in the area first started competing (years and years ago), other skaters and other coaches could pick us out as being from Baltimore.