View Full Version : For ladies in 'mid-life'

herniated
08-02-2007, 05:25 AM
Ok, here goes. For all you ladies out there who are going through 'the change'. I hate that expression. :twisted: How has it affected your skateing? Or maybe it hasn't.

For me, it has not been great so far. Forget about the profuse sweating. I feel like a sweat freak. But, I'm sooo tired and the cycle changes are wearing me out!!! I'm trying not to get too graphic.

My skating has suffered this summer because of this. Some days I just can't get up to do it.

jskater49
08-02-2007, 06:40 AM
The only thing I've noticed so far is that I won't have a period for six months and then I have it and have it heavy when I need to test or compete.:??

herniated
08-02-2007, 07:12 AM
The only thing I've noticed so far is that I won't have a period for six months and then I have it and have it heavy when I need to test or compete.:??

That's just lovely. :frus: That will probably be me. Thanks for sharing.

Thin-Ice
08-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Not to be too graphic.. but after about three months without, I asked my doctor to give me a small dose of progesterone... which if there's "build-up", can cause spotting or a period to start. But at least that way you can control the timing.

jskater49
08-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Not to be too graphic.. but after about three months without, I asked my doctor to give me a small dose of progesterone... which if there's "build-up", can cause spotting or a period to start. But at least that way you can control the timing.

I'd rather take a pill to make it stop rather than bring it on! Which reminds me, I meant to put in a call to do that...

j

Rusty Blades
08-02-2007, 08:05 AM
LOL! I am 58 and have skated with a few mid-50's coaches, and we laugh about "the sudden extreme temperature changes" in the rink ;) Sleeveless T-shirt one minute and a parka 5 minutes later! The younger girls/women just think we're nuts. I am so used to changing temperatures that I keep a coat and a vest at the boards and may be wearing any or none of them at any given time and may change 5 times in an hour!

Personally, I "glow" profusely (my grandmother said "Women don't sweat, they glow"!). I can be chilly and still manage to soak my skating dress doing something as strenuous as 3-Turns, so I have to wear a different outfit each day. Physical tiredness is common - I just don't have the energy I used to. At least I have been on the patch for the past few years (to combat bone density loss) so at least my moods don't swing like my temperature :roll:

herniated
08-02-2007, 08:43 AM
I can relate to the sudden temp changes. I had one skating dress that showed 'glow' stains very easily. It was a new competition dress too. Fortunately you couldn't see these marks unless you were very close to me. Also, at the top of my boots, I get a ring of sweat around my tights!!! Nice. 8O

At this point I don't want to go on any hormones. The last time I was on the pill my blood pressure skyrocketed. Any natural remedies that work?

montanarose
08-02-2007, 12:48 PM
All I know is that I was VERY happy to be a skater during the worst of those years! The rink was about the only place I could count on cooling off :roll:

I went on HRT while I was still having regular periods and no menopausal symptoms, then abruptly went off it four years later when the bad news about heart attack risks came out. Wham! almost overnight I was in full-blown nuclear meltdown mode, "glowing" like a Roman candle several times each day (and forget about the sleepless nights), so the rink provided a welcome respite. As for other skating-related side effects, I've often wondered if my broken wrist (two years ago) and broken ankle (last year) were menopause-related -- I've stepped up my calcium intake just in case.

Good luck to you!

herniated
08-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks montanarose. You are very funny! :lol: Have you had a bone density test? I was thinking about your broken bones. I had a bone density scan at 38 (kind of Young, but osteoporosis runs in my family) and I have low bone mass. It only takes about 2 minutes and very easy. By the way I'm 43 now.

I love the 'glowing like a roman candle' reference. Sometimes in my car I'm like, "What the #*!!@ is wrong with this air conditioner!!!!! :twisted: Then I realize it's not the AC...it's me. :frus: !@**@ it.

RNsk8r
08-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Montanarose, there is a good chance that you have or at high risk for osteoporosis. A wrist, hip, spine or proximal humerus fracture in women over age 45 is a high indicator for osteoporosis. Here is a good website about osteoporosis that was put together by one of the doctors in my practice. http://www.osmc.net/bone_school/index.html It is a little long, but is well put together and informative. Every perimenopausal woman should have a bone density test to evaluate for osteoporosis. And remember, those who do have it or are at risk, calcium is important but you need Vitamin D also, and most people don't get enough Vitamin D. Just some thoughts.

jazzpants
08-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Geez, you guys are scaring me here!!! 8O

Okay, I have a question for you guys in 'mid-life' -- a fellow gym member had mentioned that when you go into menopause that your metabolism drops down to practically nil and it's much harder for you to lose weight. Is this true? The woman who told me this claims she's in her 50's and swears it's true. Of course, she also looks much slimmer than me... :roll: (It was in reference to my recent problem with trying to lose weight. No matter how much I exercise and I'm not eating anything particularly fatty or high cal... and I'm almost 40, so I'm not even at that point yet.)

Rusty Blades
08-02-2007, 06:44 PM
The rink was about the only place I could count on cooling off

AMEN Sister! Summer skating has been a God-send!

As far as weight gain, my metabolism took a nose dive in my 30's and on came the pounds. Now skating 6 to 8 hours a week and eating 1,200 to 1,500 calories, I can't get rid of the weight! I even went to a dietitian for counseling and she said I need to reduce my fat intake but NOT reduce my calories, maybe even increase the calories. She also suggested Calcium with Vitamin D (since I have some bone density loss from life-long screwy hormone levels) - damned things are big enough to choke a horse! 8O

herniated
08-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Well, jazzpants... I can tell you it does seem to get harder to lose the weight and easier to gain it. At least for me. I was never the kind of person who had to watch calories, always thin, ect. Now, it seems that's all I do. In addition to eating low fat, low cholesterol, blah, blah. It seems like I gained 5 pounds over one weekend and I'm still trying to lose it!!!:frus: (that was a month ago)

I just had blood work though to make sure it's not thyroid. We'll see. But I did notice when I was in my 30's it started to become more difficult to lose weight. :twisted:

herniated
08-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Rustyblades, just make sure you drink plenty of water with that calcium. I developed kidney stones because I wasn't drinking enough, taking calcium supplements, and had no dairy at all in my diet.

And, I was taking calcium citrate which is supposed to absorb better with vitamin D.

I have to read RNsk8r's info about osteoporosis!!

herniated
08-02-2007, 07:04 PM
rnsk8r's info is VERY good!!! All should read.

Terri C
08-02-2007, 07:36 PM
What RN said is the reason why I take milk with my lunch everyday to work. At 42 I'm starting to have my own "private summer" around that time of the month and add that with being off balance on the ice and then skating can be very frustrating. I was very hot on the ice yesterday and not in a good way.

Beccapoo2003
08-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Sheesh! I know what you guys are talking about! I'm 48 and in the midst. (talk about no sleep, hot cold hot cold) Ush! There's a natural suppliment called estrophen that's been suggested. I'm taking it in a generic form and it seems to be helping. Takes about 4 weeks to start kicking in, but I figure it's worth it considering the side effects of hormones.
It's funny how the kids at the rink make fun of you! "Ha, Ha! Miss Becca's having a hot flash"! That's OK, their day will come.....

SkatingOnClouds
08-03-2007, 03:57 AM
At 48 I am definitely going through the change this year. Apart from irregularity, I get night sweats. Those are my main symptoms I guess, but a friend of mine also got really paranoid. Me, I can't tell if I'm paranoid or they really are out to get me! 8O

Haven't really had the hot flushes, or flashes. I do sweat buckets though, which is embarrassing sometimes. When I come off the rink I look like I've been swimming, not skating!

Weight loss, well, I'm very overweight to start with. Have actually gained a few kilos since skating, and not really lost any size according to my clothes, but I really have lost large amounts of fat around my butt, and have thigh muscles which, as someone on this forum once put it, could crush buses.

I figure all the jumping has to encourage maintained bone density, as skating is a weight-bearing exercise. And as I don't eat any other form of dairy, it gives me the excuse to indulge in cheese. Come on all you Ice Princess fans, say it with me; "Oooh, cheese"

sk8pics
08-03-2007, 05:57 AM
I had a bone density test a few years ago and tested way high for my age and height and so on. So my doc doesn't think that low bone density was related to my broken ankle, but to be safe, he told me to take calcium supplements, which I've been doing. Even though I like yogurt and milk and eat some every day, he said I'm only getting about a third of what I needed that way. sigh. The inconvenient thing about the calcium supplements is that they need to be taken with food because they need to dissolve in your stomach. And if you're taking an iron supplement --I take a multivitamin with iron-- you are not supposed to take that at the same time. And that has to be taken with food, too. So I am trying to get used to remembering to take one of each at each meal, since you're also not supposed to take too much calcium at one time because your body can only absorb so much at once. Oh, and for anyone taking the calcium citrate, that has less actual calcium in it (you'll see it's like 350 mg instead of 500 or 550) so you have to take 3 instead of 2. So much to remember!

Mrs Redboots
08-03-2007, 08:02 AM
I took a supplement called dong quai for about a year, and then decided to see if I could cope without it. Which I could.

Jazzpants, when I was going through it all, I couldn't lose weight for love nor money, but once things had settled down, it was fine and I did lose a lot. And although I thought I'd never say this, regular (well, semi-regular) stretching out after skating is helping me to be more flexible. I don't see myself ever passing a test that involves spirals, though - knee higher than bum? I don't think so!

I agree - an ice-rink is a lovely place to be when you are hot and sweaty! And if you need to shed a layer and skate bare-armed, well, everybody just thinks you're working hard!

Although I love it when at adult competitions we spend more time discussing our hot flushes, and redoing our make-up after having had one, than we do watching the skating....

Rusty Blades
08-03-2007, 09:39 AM
I agree - an ice-rink is a lovely place to be when you are hot and sweaty! And if you need to shed a layer and skate bare-armed, well, everybody just thinks you're working hard!

I don't know about "bared armed" but yesterday was "pajama day" at summer school. I told one of the coaches that I couldn't skate in what I wear to bed because #1 - I'd freeze, #2 - I'd attract a crowd, and #3 - I'd be arrested!

Mrs Redboots
08-03-2007, 01:53 PM
I don't know about "bared armed" but yesterday was "pajama day" at summer school. I told one of the coaches that I couldn't skate in what I wear to bed because #1 - I'd freeze, #2 - I'd attract a crowd, and #3 - I'd be arrested!
So would I, dear, so would I!!!! Like Marilyn Monroe, a little Chanel No 5 is all... (except it's more likely 4711 or lavender water, if anything - I don't really do perfume).

miraclegro
08-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Well, it's nice to know others are going through this, too.

The other week, my friend took a look at my little black sleeveless skating dress and said, "ooh, hot mama!" and i said "oooh, hot flashes!" and we both laughed, which the hot flashes have been a challenge, but the other add on lately has been a racing heart which REALLy interferes with my program run-throughs. I finally have given in, and have made a Dr. Appt. to try and keep sane. The good news is, my sister is 51, and said she's done, and i'm 46 - in a few weeks will be 47, so i guess i am climbing the mountain.

It's the blooming sleep patterns that are making me nuts, plus trying to stay sane with my 18-year old daughter who is really testing the "who's the boss" limits. Skating and prayer is keeping me halfway sane!

Thing is, i have never had a weight problem, but have put on a few pounds since 35, and i have recently started working on pilates. But the other thing i read is that the hormone changes make us want to eat. I think its hormones and the teenager. I usually eat healthy for the most part, but lately, theres been some crazed-woman binging. Don't know why i am putting things in my mouth, just doing it! Of course, i recently discovered the Hershey's dark chocolate raspberry candy bar which is kind of good for you, and great for the binge eating!

singerskates
08-04-2007, 02:17 AM
My Mid-Life saga started the day I was competing at the 2005 Adult Canadians. I was already injured with two not yet diagnoised herniated discs in my upper back which affected my checking out and into things while skating so at the time, I thought the extra heat and off-ice dizzyness was just part of my injury. But I was wrong. It turned out to be just the beginning of my change. 4 months after Adult Canadians I started a red dense sea that last for 6 months non stop. It was so bad I had to be put on iron pills and hormones (was allergic to them so was off within days). I had such horrible pain from my sea making, that I had a surgery to fix the problem January 2006. But one thing I did notice was that instead of losing weight, I was gaining weight. But lately, I've been losing weight. My mom was pretty fast about getting in and out of the change as well. I missed 2006 Adult Canadians because of the change and a extended flu that went from Dec. 2005 to May 2006.

Ever notice that the change hits you over the head not when you're sick but when you're healthy.

Now when are the guys going to go through womenpause?

samba
08-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Although I love it when at adult competitions we spend more time discussing our hot flushes, and redoing our make-up after having had one, than we do watching the skating....

So true, do you remember me using a paper plate to fan myself at the Bracknell Open.

The kids at my rink think that I am totally barmy, when they are all layered up in winter, I am in a strappy top and skirt.:roll:

mikawendy
08-04-2007, 08:01 PM
The inconvenient thing about the calcium supplements is that they need to be taken with food because they need to dissolve in your stomach. And if you're taking an iron supplement --I take a multivitamin with iron-- you are not supposed to take that at the same time. And that has to be taken with food, too. So I am trying to get used to remembering to take one of each at each meal, since you're also not supposed to take too much calcium at one time because your body can only absorb so much at once. Oh, and for anyone taking the calcium citrate, that has less actual calcium in it (you'll see it's like 350 mg instead of 500 or 550) so you have to take 3 instead of 2. So much to remember!

sk8pics, thanks for the info, I didn't know that iron and calcium shouldn't be taken at the same time. I usually take my multivitamin and calcium citrate at the same time, but now I'll spread them apart. Does the calcium block the iron absorption?

sk8pics
08-05-2007, 08:05 AM
I don't know, Mika. I wonder if it's not that the iron interferes with the calcium, rather than the other way around.

Anyway, the info I read (a friend sent it to me, but I can't find the actual link) said the iron and the calcium should be taken 2 hours apart. I presume that means "at least" 2 hours apart.

Scarlett
08-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Hey guys..I'm a youngun (yeah 30 gets to be young) but I thought I should weigh in here due to my profession.

If the hot flashes are driving you nuts you can try a supplement like estroven that has soy and black cohash in it. You will need to give it 4-6 weeks to determine efficacy though. I put my mother on it and my father was very grateful.

As far as the calcium is concerned. Make sure you supplement has vitamin D as Vitamin D helps calcium absorption. Women of a certain age usually need 1000-1200 mg of Ca daily but the body can only absorb 500-600 mg at a time that means that you need to split your supplementation in two doses given about 12 hours apart.

Thirdly, the iron was meant at least 2 hours apart.

You may now continue with your regularly scheduled discussion which I shall join in about 20 years.

jskater49
08-05-2007, 12:34 PM
The thing about soy supplements...if you cannot take estrogen because of cancer risk- be aware that soy mimicks estrogen and is not recommended for women at risk for breast cancer. Check with your doctor before taking any supplements. Natural does not automatically mean safe.

j

Mrs Redboots
08-05-2007, 01:11 PM
So true, do you remember me using a paper plate to fan myself at the Bracknell Open.
Indeed yes, and that's the third competition in the past year at which someone has had to fan, or rush out of doors.....

Do they ever end? I've been "past it" for years now, but I still get them occasionally, especially in this weather.

herniated
08-05-2007, 01:35 PM
The thing about soy supplements...if you cannot take estrogen because of cancer risk- be aware that soy mimicks estrogen and is not recommended for women at risk for breast cancer. Check with your doctor before taking any supplements. Natural does not automatically mean safe.

j

Thanks for this info!! I thought I read this somewhere else too!! I don't have breast cancer but always have cyst/lump issues. Lovely.8O

Rusty Blades
08-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Do they ever end? I've been "past it" for years now, but I still get them occasionally, especially in this weather.

I'm still hoping .....

Raye
08-06-2007, 07:48 PM
The rink was about the only place I could count on cooling off :roll:
!

My sentiments exactly... :halo:

montanarose
08-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Apropos of this topic -- although not specifically skating-related -- is this website I just stumbled across, and you gotta love the name! :lol:

http://www.hotwomenhotflashes.com

montanarose

jazzpants
08-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Have to say this... I feel bad for you guys at mid-life or have gone thru "mid-life." I am certainly not looking forward to this period of my life when it happens... 8O (And getting a world of good information to boot for preparing for this time too.)

Given that....

http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif
OMG!!! The hot flash stories on this thread is just WAAAAAY too funny!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d015.gif

herniated
08-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Well, here's another one for you jazzpants. The night sweats.... had them last night. So, irritating. I wake up s-o-a-k-i-n-g wet, HOT and shivering all at the same TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O I keep another tshirt by the bed so I can quick change in the middle of the night!(Sometimes I have to change everything) NICE. Then I have to try to go back to sleep. Good luck to me.

But, I have to say thank you to all you ladies for sharing your stories. I don't feel so alone in this. (I know I'm not alone, we all go through it in some way)It helps a lot. :bow: Keep them coming

blue111moon
08-08-2007, 08:03 AM
If you haven't seen "Menopause: The Musical", run to your nearest theatre and see it NOW. It's hysterical and so true. Plus it makes getting older feel good.

If it weren't for the sluggish metabolism that seems to make me gain weight just being in the smae room with food, I don't think I'd mind mid-life at all.

Sessy
08-08-2007, 02:24 PM
AMEN Sister! Summer skating has been a God-send!

As far as weight gain, my metabolism took a nose dive in my 30's and on came the pounds. Now skating 6 to 8 hours a week and eating 1,200 to 1,500 calories, I can't get rid of the weight! I even went to a dietitian for counseling and she said I need to reduce my fat intake but NOT reduce my calories, maybe even increase the calories. She also suggested Calcium with Vitamin D (since I have some bone density loss from life-long screwy hormone levels) - damned things are big enough to choke a horse! 8O

Oh THAT's lovely. My hormone levels are screwed and have been from my early teens, what awaits me? *PANICK*.
My mom's getting that menopause stuff now, let's just say I'm glad I live away from her. Her mood is like april weather lately.

sexyskates
08-08-2007, 11:16 PM
I have always become warm in the middle of the night, but now more so. I don't sweat, but just throw off a lot of heat. I found it helped to not eat too much before bed (fewer calories to burn off in my sleep), and keep the bedroom very cold. For the summer I got rid of the wimpy AC in the bedroom and replaced it with the "Commando 8" of Seinfeld fame. I sleep like a baby! I also found that giving myself a separate sheet and lighter blanket so that the heat from my husband (the human furnace) doesn't come over to me, helped ALOT! Now I wish I would get a hot flush when skating on a cold day in winter, but it doesn't seem to work that way - or maybe not yet. I have to bundle up for competition to keep my muscles loose, so I don't think I'm having the full wacky hormone experience yet.

Rusty Blades
08-09-2007, 04:48 AM
I have always become warm in the middle of the night, but now more so. I don't sweat, but just throw off a lot of heat.

YOU TO??!! I sleep with a window open and a fan blowing on the bed and even then the bedroom is HOT when I wake up in the morning.

I just wish I could get through a skating session without getting soaking wet (no matter how cold the rink is)! It is to the point where I am buying extra dresses so I have one for each day. Oh well, I guess it's an excuse for having more pretty outfits :roll:

Mrs Redboots
08-09-2007, 08:56 AM
As far as weight gain, my metabolism took a nose dive in my 30's and on came the pounds. Now skating 6 to 8 hours a week and eating 1,200 to 1,500 calories, I can't get rid of the weight!
I'm not surprised - you're not eating enough! You'd probably need 1,700 to 1,800 Calories with your level of skating. Try upping your intake a bit, you might just be surprised.

My metabolism nose-dived in my 30s and again when I was going through the Change, but now that I've gone through it, I have been able to lose weight again, but it's a constant struggle.

herniated
08-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Here's a good one. In the summer I tend to get overheated very quickly on the ice(like many) sooo I like to wear dresses with no sleeves. I recently bought a dress with spaghetti straps and practically no back. I figured it would be cooler although probably get some looks.8O But I really don't care because I can't take the heat!!!!!!!!!

My coach saw me today saying how he loved my dress and that I looked 'hot'. I said 'I'm Hot all right, temperature wise!' Actually today I felt like a hot, sweaty, bloated oinker which I told him too. He is aware of my condition. We both had a good laugh. It did make me feel kinda good though. The 'HOT' comment I mean.

And most of the girls of course had thier little fleece warm up jackets on the whole time. Ugh, I would have screamed!!:twisted:

jazzpants
08-10-2007, 11:50 PM
WOW!!! Nice to know that I'm not the only person whose metabolism slows down in my 30's. I am having a hell of a time losing this weight. It used to be the case where I can go and stay somewhere between 70-80% of MHR.... now I have to stay about 80-90% of MHR for at least 20 minutes to get any results on the weight loss and about 70-80% for at least 15 minutes.

Rusty Blades: Mrs Redboots is correct. However, I would like to add the caveat that you should be eating more frequent meals instead of having 3 big sittings. There's also a timing issue too... I usually do eat an hour before and an hour after skating and my gym workout, so I would have enough energy for skating/workout and for my muscles to recover afterwards.

As for feeling "hot"... well this is weird.... when I go to bed, I'm usually freezing. But when I get up in the morning, I feel sweaty!!! Don't know what to make of this here. (Besides too many blankets!!! :lol: :P )

samba
08-11-2007, 02:44 AM
Indeed yes, and that's the third competition in the past year at which someone has had to fan, or rush out of doors.....

Well my mother in law still gets them and she is in her late 70's, oh joy!!

Rusty Blades
08-11-2007, 05:56 AM
Well my mother in law still gets them and she is in her late 70's, oh joy!!

Oh, you are SUCH a ray of sunshine! ;)

samba
08-12-2007, 03:03 AM
Oh, you are SUCH a ray of sunshine! ;)

It just shines out of me!! Hopefully this is a rare incident, I would be pleased just to last that long, and for her age she is fit as a flea, enjoys ballroom dancing tremendously.

jskater49
08-16-2007, 12:27 PM
So this past week or so I've had my first hot flashes. They are so mild and subtle I wasn't sure because it's been hot...but when my face gets red in an air conditioned room and no one else is uncomfortable, I figured, my time had come.

So today, I thought well, I'm in the rink, that's a good place for one. Um no. Because my face and neck are hot and sweaty but not the rest of me, so I'm still wearing my sweater and fanning my neck.

j