View Full Version : Starting Lessons

batonstar
08-01-2007, 03:29 PM
I was just wondering at what sort of age do people start taking skating lessons as I am 30 and not sure whether to or not, I didn't know if skating classes were mainly younger people like teenage kids or whether there might be any adult skaters as well, or whether to go privately instead of group lessons.

On the whole which would be better, group or individual for learning, and if I went individual do you think I would be able to arrange it for me and my son together

jskater49
08-01-2007, 03:55 PM
They have an adult Learn to skate track now but I took LTS with kids when I was 38.

I wouldn't take privates with your son - I think that may be very frustrating when he picks things up quicker than you ;-)

j

airyfairy76
08-01-2007, 03:57 PM
I started group lessons last year in September, just before my 30th birthday. I am starting private lessons next week (yay! :lol: )

I have been doing the Skate UK course in London - the rink I attend has both adult only courses (aged 16 upwards I think) and mixed classes. I haven't been to the mixed ones, so unfortunately can't tell you logistics of the attendee's.

But certainly don't let your age put you off!

Skittl1321
08-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I started LTS at age 24. I took Basic 3-4 with adults (even though it wasn't adult basic skills- it was an adults only class), then I took adult 2 (obviously with just adults) then I took ISI Delta and Basic 7/8 with kids.

I think skating basic skills with kids is no problem at all if there aren't adult classes nearby. The only reason I would try to get into adult classes if they are available is often instructors use different means of explaining as well as class management.

I sometimes felt that I spent a lot of time waiting on kids to pay attention in my group classes- but not SO much time that it was worth doing private lessons instead!

I switched to private lessons when I got to the freestyle level because I'm a clockwise skater and I felt like I spent too much time aborting because the kids wouldn't "get" that I went the other way, and they'd cut in front of me. But for basics- it worked great.

They'll most likely be really excited your learning to skate. Kids love it when they are on "equal footing" with adults for something.

I really don't think privates are worthwhile for basics, but if you do, I agree that it might be frustrating with your son- unless he is very young. In which case many rinks do "parent - tot" classes for the first few levels.

Skate@Delaware
08-01-2007, 04:48 PM
I was 40 when i signed up for Adult LTS. I took that for a few years, then switched over to private lessons.

Parent + Tot lessons are a fun way to learn if your child is young enough. Otherwise, take the classes seperately.

GordonSk8erBoi
08-01-2007, 06:46 PM
I started adult LTS when I was 39, then private lessons when I was 40.

I agree with others, I wouldn't share a lesson with your child. It *will* be inspiring to your kid to see you out there working hard, though.

singerskates
08-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I wish they would have had an Adult LTS class in my town when I started to skate. Adult LTS only started after I was already competing and had already got the basics with a private coach.

If I would have had an Adult LTS class to take, I would have gotten better basics earlier and some of the freeskating elements I do now would have come easier to me.

Do get into a group class to start. If you do well quickly, the coaches will move you up until you are challenged. If you find that you are going to be starting freeskate soon, do a mix of group and private. It will save you money and your basics will be strong.

Most of all, "Just Have Fun!"

Mrs Redboots
08-02-2007, 04:20 AM
Husband and I were in our 40s when we started to learn. And our daughter, then 15 or so, went with us to classes.

Go and ask at the box office at your rink, and find out whether there are adult classes. If not, ask about joining the regular learn-to-skate classes with your son, or even the possibility of shared lessons with him. Many teachers would happily do that until your son gets too far ahead of you (sorry, but it's a sad fact of life that kids learn far faster than adults do - you never, not ever, compare yourself with a kid skater!), by which time he'll probably need more than one shared lesson a week, anyway!

Whereabouts are you based?

Rob Dean
08-02-2007, 06:25 AM
I started in regular (i.e. mixed age) LTS classes with my son when we were 43 and 11 respectively--so both a bit old. :) Due to scheduling difficulties with the classes we started taking shared private lessons pretty early on, and I managed to stick with him through about USFSA Basic 5. After that, we had consecutive lessons with the same coach. :giveup: Once we were through the basic levels we ended up with separate coaches ... However *all* of these arrangements have worked well for us in their time, so keep your ideas flexible.

Rob

blue111moon
08-02-2007, 08:53 AM
My late mother took two sessions of LTS (with the kids!) when she was 82. She got tired of sitting in the stands watching me "having fun" and thought it would be nice to see what she could learn herself. :) She had skated some on ponds as a child and a teenager but that was decades ago. She did fine until she got to mohawks, which stymied her because she was legally blind and couldn't see her feet to be sure they were in the right places.

So it's never too late to start.

SynchroSk8r114
08-02-2007, 09:59 AM
...and if I went individual do you think I would be able to arrange it for me and my son together

As a coach, I do semi-privates, usually with only two skaters. I take the cost of my regular lesson time (hourly rate) and each skater pays half, but this is when skaters are not related. For instance, your child has a friend who wants to take lessons with him/her. If I were to do a semi-private for two family members, I'd probably just charge you my regular hourly rate (or however long you wanted the lesson to be). So, taking semi-privates with your son could be beneficial money-wise and provide some time for you and your son to spend some quality time together. If you start feeling frustrated because he's passing you up, you can always take a separate lesson. Perhaps if you were taking an hour lesson together, you can break it into two separate 30-minute lessons - you'd still be learning (but now at your own pace) and you wouldn't have to invest extra money, which is always a plus in this sport...;)

jcookie1982
08-05-2007, 08:55 AM
I started skating (lessons) when I was 23 and I'm almost 25 now. I started with group lessons for about a year (sometimes with adults and sometimes with kids), and then added privates. I think I've made some pretty good progress, even though I don't get a chance to skate as much as I'd like too. I'm taking a while off because I'm pregnant, but after I have the baby I want to test pre-prelim MIF and freestyle.

doubletoe
08-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I started at 27 in a group class for adults. I recommend an adult class if your rink has one.