View Full Version : Time off

sk8parent
07-29-2007, 10:06 PM
I have a question that I was hoping some of you could enlighten me on. Do skater's take time off, and if so how much? Is it ok for kids to take time off when their coaches don't really want them to? Is 2 or 3 weeks off the ice to long for a 9 year old? Also at what age do kids really benefit from these seminars? Thanks!

Mrs Redboots
07-30-2007, 02:06 AM
I think your coach is very silly indeed. Of course your skater will benefit from a 2-3 week break over the summer! Why, the elite dancers who train at our rink have just taken a fortnight's break, and are skating all the better for it!

Don't forget that in many countries, summer ice is rare, and all skaters take a break between May and September, with the possible exception of the international-class ones.

At 9 years old, I don't suppose skating is the entire focus of her life anyway. Tell her coach that you are going on holiday - tell, don't ask. If you want, ask for some off-ice exercises that she could do daily (which she may be doing anyway) to improve her flexibility. But see to it that she has a wonderful holiday full of things other than skating - she will be all the better for a break when she gets back.

As for the seminars, it so depends on whether they're pitched at her level or not. Not all seminars are created equal....

NickiT
07-30-2007, 04:46 AM
Personally I think a bit of time off the ice is a good thing. I hate having time off but now I'll be off for about 3 weeks myself due to holidays and in general when I get back on the ice after a break, I find myself refreshed and ready to go again, and usually my skills are better than ever because I've had a break from all those bad habits that I've gotten into! So don't worry about what your coach says!

Nicki

Clarice
07-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Take your vacation! Your skater is not going to forget how to skate in 2 weeks. When you get back on the ice after a break, you can definitely tell you haven't skated for awhile, but that goes away within one session, especially if you've been doing other forms of exercise in the meantime.

As far as seminars go, no matter how good the presentation is, it will only make a real difference if the coach implements the suggestions on a long-term basis.

SynchroSk8r114
07-30-2007, 04:36 PM
I have no problem when my skaters take a week off for vacation or whatever the reason, such as being physically run-down, for instance. Sometimes a little time off is just what most skaters need to rejuvenate themselves. As a coach, I'd much rather parents keep their kids off ice, especially for those skaters who are appearing a little burn out, than force them to skate when a.) the kids clearly isn't progressing, b.) the parents are wasting money for their kid to skate like crap, and c.) I get the impression I'm wasting my energy on a kid who truly deserves a break. By the time my skaters get back on the ice, they've missed skating so much that there's just a renewed joy of wanting to be on the ice and work hard to achieve whatever they feel they missed out on while away.

When I was younger, I always had at least two weeks off in the summer for vacations and another week toward the end of the summer before school started just to wind down. Particuarly at nine years old, you're child can definitely benefit from the time off. Like Mrs Redboots said, tell your coach your taking a week or so off. Any ethical coach with a reasonable amount of experience coaching should understand why you're taking a little break. Honestly, what are you afraid of? No coach I know would drop a skater for taking a little time off. Besides, your coach can't force your child to skate...any one that does wouldn't be worth the money you put out toward them!

wasabi
07-31-2007, 02:48 PM
I'd say it more depends on their level than age. When I was younger, I was very seriously competitive -- by the time I hit pre-juvenile (age 7), we stopped taking vacations entirely. Occassionally I was off for a few days or a week from being sick, and at that point in my skating (trying to get my doubles and double-doubles consistent), it usually set me back by 2-3X however many days I had taken off, so that instead of losing 5 days of training, I was really losing 15 when you factored in the time it took to get back to where I had been before I took time off.

What everyone is saying is good advice for a test skater, low level skater, or recreational skater, taking time off can really benefit them (and even elite skaters take some time off, though they're still training in some capacity even during vacations). Your skater should be prepared, however, for the fact that she probably won't skate quite as well for the first few weeks after the vacation.

SynchroSk8r114
07-31-2007, 02:53 PM
When I was younger, I was very seriously competitive -- by the time I hit pre-juvenile (age 7), we stopped taking vacations entirely.

Yeah, I know quite a few skaters whose only "vacations" are the competitions they travel to...

wasabi
07-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I know quite a few skaters whose only "vacations" are the competitions they travel to...

Yup, my vacations were spending 2 weeks of 10 hour days in the rink at a training center.

twokidsskatemom
07-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Wow you must have been very very good to be competive at pre juv at age 7!!!
Anyway due to where we live at, our vacations are just to comps.:)

sk8parent
07-31-2007, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE=sk8parent;331962]I have a question that I was hoping some of you could enlighten me on. Do skater's take time off, and if so how much? Is it ok for kids to take time off when their coaches don't really want them to? Is 2 or 3 weeks off the ice to long for a 9 year old? Also at what age do kids really benefit from these seminars? Thanks![/QUO

:??http://www.skatingforums.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
I must of come across the wrong way.
Sorry about that. My coaches never actually came out and said don't take time off. I just get a feeling like maybe I am doing the wrong thing, by asking for it. But my child is losing their fire for the sport. What once was a burning passion is now becoming do I have to? So I personally think a little break would be good. How long it should be by all the comments I have received varies.
Thanks so much for all your input.

Tennisany1
08-01-2007, 01:16 AM
I'd say it more depends on their level than age. When I was younger, I was very seriously competitive -- by the time I hit pre-juvenile (age 7), we stopped taking vacations entirely. Occassionally I was off for a few days or a week from being sick, and at that point in my skating (trying to get my doubles and double-doubles consistent), it usually set me back by 2-3X however many days I had taken off, so that instead of losing 5 days of training, I was really losing 15 when you factored in the time it took to get back to where I had been before I took time off.

What everyone is saying is good advice for a test skater, low level skater, or recreational skater, taking time off can really benefit them (and even elite skaters take some time off, though they're still training in some capacity even during vacations). Your skater should be prepared, however, for the fact that she probably won't skate quite as well for the first few weeks after the vacation.

So when did you stop being "seriously competitive?" How old and what level? I ask because the amount you were training I would considered you at high risk for serious over training injuries and burnout. As far as a 9 year old needing time off, both clubs my daughter has skated for have highly recommended that all their kids take a minimum of 2 - 3 weeks off per year to rest and allow their bodies to recuperate. Both clubs have skaters skating at the national level. If you read elite level skaters messages on their websites, they all talk about taking a break before the season starts or after Worlds (basically sometime in the spring or summer) to rest and recharge.

CanAmSk8ter
08-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I think at nine years old, it's not only reasonable but advisable to take a break from skating a few times a year. A week or two in the summer, a week to ten days at the holidays, and a week or so in March or April will give her body some time to recuperate from the physical stress of skating and give her some time to be a kid and do some fun stuff. Unless she's still in the learn-to-skate levels and only skating once or twice a week, she's not going to lose skills in two weeks. She can always work on her jumps on the floor and do some stretching.

Lmarletto
08-02-2007, 09:26 PM
I just get a feeling like maybe I am doing the wrong thing, by asking for it. But my child is losing their fire for the sport. What once was a burning passion is now becoming do I have to? So I personally think a little break would be good.
I don't think taking a week or two off the normal training schedule of an enthusiastic skater is at all the same thing as the kind of break a burnt out skater would need. Kids with plenty of fire take family vacations, go to Girl Scout camp, whatever. Kids who are skating too much (for them) or are in an unsatisfying training environment probably need something more than just a week off. Just returning to the situation that sapped them of their passion will almost certainly leave them feeling burnt out again very quickly.

You don't say how much time your daughter is spending on the ice, how she gets on with her coaches or what level she is skating at, but if she's getting burnt out at 9, something's ruining skating for her and you need to address that.

wasabi
08-03-2007, 08:14 AM
So when did you stop being "seriously competitive?" How old and what level? I ask because the amount you were training I would considered you at high risk for serious over training injuries and burnout. As far as a 9 year old needing time off, both clubs my daughter has skated for have highly recommended that all their kids take a minimum of 2 - 3 weeks off per year to rest and allow their bodies to recuperate. Both clubs have skaters skating at the national level. If you read elite level skaters messages on their websites, they all talk about taking a break before the season starts or after Worlds (basically sometime in the spring or summer) to rest and recharge.

I never burned out (in fact, I still skate, but certainly not at the capacity I used to), but sutained a serious injury by 13. The level of the injury was enough though, that which taking time off might have postponed it for a few months or so, a few weeks off a year certainly would not have prevented it. It had more to do iwth the way I was practicing (double axels, triples from a very young age, over practicing them, finishing my moves by 11 and then just doing jumps). And like I said before, once you get your jumps truly consistent (which the vast majority of elite skaters have), taking time off isn't as detrimental because they've already been committed to muscle memory, and that won't fade too much in a few weeks. But even elite skaters (at least the ones I've known/known of) don't completely take time off -- they're still working out in the gym, or even skating some, though less intensely.

But anyway, this is kind of OT. I actually think I few weeks off might help with the burnout, if it's not too great. It might be just the little break she needs.

Lenny2
08-06-2007, 10:24 AM
First, regarding time off--I think two or three weeks off is too long for a competitive skater. If the skater is recreational, then take as much time off as you like. If she hopes to be competitive for the season, then she can't take off that much time and expect to come back to training where she left off. A week off--ok. But two or three--no. If you are going on vacation, take the skates with you and have her skate at least a few times while you are gone. You can always find a rink somewhere.

Second, regarding seminars--One seminar will not change anything about your skater's abilities. But, it might renew her enthusiasm, broaden her horizons, and let her meet some interesting people and try some new things. My novice level skater has participated in many seminars over the years and we have always been glad she did.

Mrs Redboots
08-06-2007, 01:21 PM
First, regarding time off--I think two or three weeks off is too long for a competitive skater. .
Well, that's not thought to be the case in this country, where the leading ice-dancers have just returned from a two-week break and are skating better than ever.

And a 9-year-old child is scarcely "a competitive skater" - at that age, skating should be one of many activities, not the be-all and end-all of life. And if she is no longer enjoying it, she should certainly be encouraged to take a long break and do something different.

Lenny2
08-06-2007, 01:49 PM
As a previous poster mentioned, once a skater is proficient and at an elite level, taking a longer period off is easier. When a skater is just learning the skills, time off of this duration can be difficult, and she will spend several weeks working back to where she left off. This isn't fun and won't make for a happy skater.

Of course, if the skater isn't happy anyway, she probably isn't a "competitive" skater anyway. But, we have lots of nine-year-olds in the USA who can do all the double jumps, some through double axel, and three weeks off wouldn't be a good idea for them if they intend to stay competitive throughout the season. But, these kids wouldn't want to take off two or three weeks, anyway. You usually have to force them to take off a week here and there just for rest and recuperation.

If the child isn't happy, let her take off as long as she wants--I would never force her to do anything she doesn't want to do.

jskater49
08-06-2007, 05:47 PM
First, regarding time off--I think two or three weeks off is too long for a competitive skater. If the skater is recreational, then take as much time off as you like. If she hopes to be competitive for the season, then she can't take off that much time and expect to come back to training where she left off. A week off--ok. But two or three--no. If you are going on vacation, take the skates with you and have her skate at least a few times while you are gone. You can always find a rink somewhere.

My daughter is a competitive skater and she took off 3 weeks to go to Italy a couple of years ago. Her coach gave her off ice excercizes that she did religiously every night, even in the tiniest of hotel rooms and she came back a stronger skater becaus of the exercize. Obviously you aren't going to compete a week after being gone for 3 weeks but we went in May and she competed in late June and medaled in compulsaries and dance. She never medals in free skate but she certainly didn't skate any worse.

j

Lenny2
08-06-2007, 09:02 PM
We have traveled extensively over the years--we just bring the skates and find a bit of time for skating along the way. It isn't a big deal. It's fun to see the skating environment in different places--even different countries. Our skater just keeps herself tuned up and doesn't come back from vacation feeling weird.

Mrs Redboots
08-07-2007, 09:06 AM
We have traveled extensively over the years--we just bring the skates and find a bit of time for skating along the way.
Difficult to do in the summer in Europe, when many, if not most rinks are closed!

jskater49
08-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Difficult to do in the summer in Europe, when many, if not most rinks are closed!

We traveled around Italy by train and carried our own bags, "traveling light" does not include lugging skates around!

j