View Full Version : How to get rid of a wrap?

*JennaD*
07-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Hey everyone

So I have recently been working on double toe and double loop and I think I have a bit of a wrap...especially on my double loop!

Does anyone know how to get rid of this? i would ask my coahc but she's out of town for a week or so...8O

thanks!

RinkRat321
07-28-2007, 02:44 PM
i have the same problem with my double loop & double flip. i do a couple of really tight backspins and before i jump i think about that really tight position and just try to do it in the air.

it also might help if you did some double jump rotations off ice and tried to think about getting a really tight position. idk hope this helps some.

doubletoe
07-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Sounds like you aren't lifting the knee of the free leg (assuming left) before pulling in. That's why your thighs and knees stick together and you "wrap."
On the double loop, lift the free leg knee as you take off, then pull in.
On the double toe, take off, snap the landing hip in and straighten the landing leg to get your weight over the landing side. As you do this, LIFT the left knee. Now pull in.

SynchroSk8r114
07-28-2007, 03:31 PM
It may sound simple, but it fixes a lot of problems with in-air leg positions: point your toes and straighten your leg! Seriously, it's quite difficult to have a bent free leg if your toes are pointed, especially while jumping.

WSkater
07-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Well. I have pretty much the same problem as you. My Coach says it is because I have really easy turn out in my hips ... So if you have really easy turn out like youre good at spread eagles and ina bauers and that stuff then that could be a reason why....

singerskates
07-30-2007, 10:13 PM
How to get rid of a wrap? Eat it. No really, wouldn't your coach know what to do? What's your back spin like? Are you ever getting into a real back spin position in the air on your jumps? If not, ask your coach to start over with backspin in the air position 101. That should cure it.

Lenny2
07-31-2007, 11:57 AM
When my skater was wrapping her double loop, her coach made her land the jump on two feet for several months. It was tough, but it helped.

SynchroSk8r114
07-31-2007, 12:42 PM
When my skater was wrapping her double loop, her coach made her land the jump on two feet for several months. It was tough, but it helped.

That's quite interesting. I could see how that would help with proper in-air leg position. But what I'm curious about is didn't training to two-foot a jump cause your skater to develop a problem with two-footing the jump down the road? :??

wasabi
07-31-2007, 02:52 PM

My coach used to do this when I was learning doubles -- making me do big, two-footed singles. It wasn't for a wrap though; it was because landing on two feet seems to magnify the problems in your jump technique so that you can feel them even on a single. I had no problem transitioning into doing one-footed doubles, but to this day, I still might two-foot a single lutz if I found myself doing one! I can't imagine going from two-footed to one-footed doubles!

Lenny2
08-01-2007, 11:52 AM
My skater never has had a problem with two-footing landings as a result of this training techinique, and she has all her doubles now, working on triples. If a skater is wrapping during her air position, two footing landings are unlikely to be a problem.