View Full Version : Need opinions on which skates would work for me..

xofivebyfive
07-27-2007, 05:08 PM
So. The sp teris that I bought in April are not working well. My ankles are not supported well because they're too skinny for the boot. The actual boot's ankles are quite sturdy but my ankles wobble around back and forth in them and it's not a very good formula for being able to land double jumps. I'm getting extremely annoyed and frustrated and am not sure where to turn. My coach says custom Harlicks, but I could try on the next smaller size of sp teri which the skate guy wanted me to buy because it would have fit my ankles better. Except it was so small that my feet and toes were dying and my circulation was cut off, which is why we bought the next size up.

SO. I need suggestions, comments, whatever you guys can think of. I have no idea what to do here. Down by my toes it's too wide and my heel is too narrow and my ankles are too skinny. Help?

doubletoe
07-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Sounds like you need a boot that is not a smaller size, just narrower in the heel. What is the width of the SP Teri's you are in now? Is it a single width or is it a combination width in the heel and the ball (front of foot)? Mine are B width in the ball but A width in the heel and it only cost something like $25 or $50 more for the combination width (this feature is available in the stock boot). My heels would slip up in the boot before I got the boot with the narrower heel. If you have more than one width difference between your heel and the ball of the foot (the front of the foot), then you would need customs.

emkayy
07-27-2007, 06:27 PM
My Riedell's were kind of like that... my ankles are tiny so the ankle part was way too big, same with the heels, but the width fit... and the length didn't. :roll: I just got my custom Klingbeils in though and already they are well worth the wait and all the money. I think you should just get customs.. it sounds like you need a combination of different sizes.

coskater64
07-28-2007, 09:31 AM
I fit into the Harlick competitor plus nicely, I have a classic 8 M foot but with a very narrow heel AAA, plus I am very small boned. In the end I have found wearing a custom boot works better I also get extra hook put about 1/4" outside of the #2 and #3 hooks. I then keep the top hook unlaced or loosely laced depending on the day.

You really should actually talk to a good fitter, my experience will be different from yours and I have what are called ballet feet, very high arches, wide (a-b) width and very narrow heels. I wear a lot of stilletos and pointy toed shoes. Doubletoe can tell ya that.8O

xofivebyfive
07-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Well thanks for the input. Oh I have flat feet.. so maybe that's a factor too?

Morgail
07-29-2007, 08:32 AM
I have flat feet too - only thing that bothers me with that in my skates is that my arches hurt for the first 15 or 20 minutes of skating.

I also have the wide front/narrow heel thing too. Combination width was perfect for me - I got A in the front and AA in the heel. Maybe you could try that, and if it still doesn't fit, go for customs? Customs can be much more expensive than a combo width (which is only like an extra $40 or $50 on the stock boot price). However, if you've had other boot problems (which I think you had? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.), it might just be easier for you to go ahead and get customs.

I hope you can find something that fits you well:)