View Full Version : First jump ever landed

littlekateskate
07-26-2007, 11:35 AM
How old were you when you landed your first jump? What was the jump? Any other remarkable firsts you can remember in your first skating days :)

Morgail
07-26-2007, 11:42 AM
hhmmm...it was probably a bunny hop, if that counts! I think I was maybe 9? Waltz jump came around 9 or 10.

I distinctly remember passing Delta and beginning FS 1, because that meant I got to start private lessons. I felt like the best skater ever - I was sure the Olympics were only a couple years away:lol:

Emberchyld
07-26-2007, 11:53 AM
28. Christmas Eve, and I landed my waltz jump. :D

Salchow and a consistent, proper toeloop will probably have to wait until 29

SynchroSk8r114
07-26-2007, 11:56 AM
I landed my first jump, which I believe was a half-flip, at 8. It was during my group lessons class.

Other memorable skating firsts:
* First time stepping on the ice with my guards still on...:oops:

* First major facial injury. (I don't know a single skater who hasn't bashed his/her face off the ice at least once. For me, I did it...three times. :oops:) I fell during a two-foot spin, knocked myself unconscious, broke a back molar, split my chin open, and was taken to the hospital to get 7 stiches on my chin. Lovely...:roll:

* First competition. I took fourth place out of ten. I remember thinking that I was the hottest thing on ice because I beat some girls who had been competing for months. :D

* First South Atlantic Regional competition. I captured the Gold and Bronze in compulsary and freestyle, but didn't get a chance to move on because I skated at the non-qualifying level.

* Passing my first Senior level test. In May 2005, I passed my Senior MIF sick as a dog after falling on my butt on the powerpulls. This was my third time taking the test and it is still one of the most rewarding skating memories I have...just knowing that all the committment, hard work, and practice paid off. Having a Gold is something that no one can ever take away from you, and I'm so proud of myself for pushing through those rough skating days. :bow:

* First SynchroEast competition (Eastern Sectional Synchronized Skating Team Championship 2007). My team (our first year together) had only been together for three months when we competed in Providence, RI at Eastern Sectionals. We ended placing 6th out of ten teams, even scoring two 2nd place ordinals. The feeling of skating in the arena that seats 14,000 people with all eyes on us was a one-of-a-kind experience, one that I was thrilled to share with some of my closest skating friends. Skating is so much better when you have ten of your closest friends to share the ups and downs of the sport with.

Well, that's enough from me, hahahaha! ;)

xofivebyfive
07-26-2007, 12:59 PM
First real single jump was when I was 15.. it was a flip. I'd been skating for about 4 months.

First competition I was a month shy of 16 and I placed 2/4 and 1/4 in two events. And the night before my first event I slipped and fell down the icy steps of a restaurant, got a huge freaking cut on my finger and hand, hit my tailbone, my back, my elbow and my knee and I still did well the next day. So props to me.

First attempt at a double jump ever was a double loop, July 10. I'm 16.

liz_on_ice
07-26-2007, 01:14 PM
My first jump was a bunny hop, in a group class. I was 30 and I was so excited, I felt like a kid again!

bruingrl
07-26-2007, 01:29 PM
It was probably a toe loop... though I still think my technique sucks. I was probably 12 or 13.

But I'd like to say it was my flip because that's my favorite, best and most consistent jump. Hahaha. And I landed the flip way before I ever landed a decent waltz jump.

Other notable firsts... doing an awesome sit spin way before doing a decent scratch spin. I didn't get my scratch spins until the last couple years. Sad, isn't it? I'm all backwards.

WeirFan06
07-26-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm similar to Bruingirl... had a toe loop before a waltz or salchow (though you wouldn't be able to guess that now with my crappy toe loop technique of late!), and I had a flip before a loop or a salchow. The flip is still my favorite. Apparently I like the toe jumps more than the edge jumps. As for spins, my camel is far better than my sit, which is far better than my scratch/one foot spin. My coach says (lovingly of course) "Girl... you are a FREAK!" :giveup: I think I was like 18... it was during my "before being poor in college" skating year.

vesperholly
07-26-2007, 06:22 PM
My first jump? I don't even remember - I can't even remember not being able to skate backwards. I've been skating since I was 7, so it was probably not too long after that. I do remember demonstrating a salchow in Badge 3 classes. I was the only person in my class to pass Badge 3 after 1/2 year. :halo:

I remember:
• The first competition I ever won (Intermediate MIF in 2001)
• The first axel I landed (November 1997)
• The first axel I landed after quitting for four years (September 2006)
• The first tests I passed (Pre-Prelim MIF and Free in 1995)

tidesong
07-26-2007, 10:09 PM
It was probably the bunny hop, I remember my coach teaching that because I remember falling badly on it. I also did the waltz jump not long after that. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that I've moved on so far from the days when I would practise waltz jumps with shaky landings and 3 turns by the boards.

My coaches were pretty much going by the ISI things so I got all my jumps in the prescribed order of course a few were about the same time.

First jump landed in competition was probably salchow and toeloop, that was in my one and only freestyle 3 competition

Mrs Redboots
07-27-2007, 12:00 PM
I don't remember when I first landed a jump in practice - it would have been a 3-jump (waltz jump) - but I do remember landing one in competition for the first time. Well, not exactly landing, but actually jumping rather than stepping! It was in 2006 at the Mountain Cup, and I was so pleased I nearly fell right out of character. Oh yes, I was 52 at the time....

singerskates
07-27-2007, 12:51 PM
The first jump I ever landed was the waltz jump at age 39. I first began trying to learn to skate at age 38 and half. Mind you, those first waltz jumps were more like waltz steps because you would have had to lie on the ice and use a magnifine glass to measure how little space I had from in between the ice and my blades as I turned from forward to backwards. The second jump was the bunny hop. And the third jump was a half flip.

blackmanskating
07-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Well my first skating days weren't too long ago!!! :lol: I landed my first waltz jump after 3 or 4 days of skating. I can't remember which one. I guess it really doesn't matter. I do know that landed a shaky salchow the following day and a toeloop soon followed. I was able to do those 3 jumps after my first week on the ice. I had a flip before I had a loop. The loop gave me problems. I had an axel and a double salchow before I had a good lutz. I know I know. I'm weird. I hate the lutz. But I was age 23

BlackManSkating

EmilyJoy
07-27-2007, 02:06 PM
My first jump I landed was a Waltz. I don't remember how old I was. I just remember it was in my first week of skating in 3rd grade.

GordonSk8erBoi
07-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Other than a bunny hop... my first waltz jump was age 41. I'd been skating about 1.5 years. My coach was SO patient with me!

I've added a half-flip since then but toe loop and salchow will take me a little while, it looks like.

niupartyangel
07-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Technically it was the bunny hop, I was 16. But up to this day mine aren't very high. I hate them (most of my worst falls came from these annoying jumps, lol).

I taught myself the waltz jump while I was in Gamma, I just watched the freestyle girls and decided to go for it and jst kept practicing them from a forward glide.I didn't do them from back crossovers entrance until I got to FS1.

altamaleskater
07-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Waltz jump at age 34 in Feb. of 2006 after only about 5 months skating.

jcookie1982
08-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I landed my waltz jump when I was a little kid. I wasn't taking lessons and just taught myself how to do it. When I stated lessons as an adult I could do all of the half jumps right away, and then after a few months learned the toe loop, which I could do almost immediately as well. It took me a few months to be able to do the salchow.

wasabi
08-05-2007, 09:13 AM
I don't remember when I first landed a jump in practice - it would have been a 3-jump (waltz jump) - but I do remember landing one in competition for the first time. Well, not exactly landing, but actually jumping rather than stepping! It was in 2006 at the Mountain Cup, and I was so pleased I nearly fell right out of character. Oh yes, I was 52 at the time....

Really OT, but I'm curious. Why is it called a 3-jump? I can't for the life of me figure out where the 3 comes into play...

doubletoe
08-05-2007, 11:35 AM
A loop jump is a figure loop with the middle part happening off the ice, and you could say the waltz jump is like a 3-turn (start forward, end backwards with only 180-degree turn), but with the turn happening off the ice. So I would guess that's where the name came from. . .?

jskater49
08-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I was maybe about 44 and in a group free style LTS and I had been walking though a half flip. The teacher was 16 and clearly exasperated with my refusal to actually jump. Finally she resorted to begging. "Just hop. It's just a hop. Please hop!" and I thought to myself..."a 16 year old is begging me to jump. This is pathetic. You need to do this" So I jumped. She cheered loudly. It wasn't that bad.

j

Mrs Redboots
08-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Really OT, but I'm curious. Why is it called a 3-jump? I can't for the life of me figure out where the 3 comes into play...
I think because it started when someone was trying to do a 3-turn, perhaps in compulsory figures, and then slipped, so landed on the other foot... at least, that's what I was told.

wasabi
08-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I think because it started when someone was trying to do a 3-turn, perhaps in compulsory figures, and then slipped, so landed on the other foot... at least, that's what I was told.

That actually makes sense, thanks!

airyfairy76
08-05-2007, 03:53 PM
A bunny hop. Aged 30. Today!!!!

:P

Okay, so I know it's not a proper jump, but I was dead chuffed . . .:)

Sessy
08-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Well the waltz jump / 3 jump when I was like, 11 but I didn't think of it as a jump at the time. I couldn't do a 3-turn so I cheated them like that. I'll still take waltz jumps over 3-turns any time.

Serious jump? 20, my home rink, toeloop. First time landed to the song "From paris to berlin, and every disco I get in, my heart is pumping for love..."
Turned out all I had to do was stop thinking about it.

Muskoka Skater
08-18-2007, 02:55 PM
First Jump: Waltz Jump

First more then a single jump: Axel

First double jump: Double Flip

First more then a double jump: Double Axel

First Spin: one foot cork screw

First Competition: Santa Skate

First Dance: Dutch Waltz

First Skill: Preliminary

First Freeskate: Preliminary

First Interpretive: Introductory

kimberley801
10-03-2007, 10:34 PM
First Jump: Waltz jump. Landed TODAY...2hrs ago. :D And although it took 20 attemps and I was only a milimeter off the ice...it was still a jump. I'm 23, Been skating for 4+ months.

Learning the half-flip too, but not too successful with the toepick part yet.

Sessy
10-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Think of the waltz jump as flying and you'll love the jump - it'll be your favourite in no time :D Congratulations!!!

MissIndigo
10-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Taught myself the bunny hop and waltz jumps at age 13.

Relearned everything up through flip jumps at age 25.

Did my first waltz jumps and salchows last weekend after being off the ice for two years at age 31. (Though they will probably go right away once I get new boots. :P )

So good to be back in the saddle!

peanutskates
10-04-2007, 02:03 PM
waltz jump (3 jump if you want) at 13 yrs old. I was UK grade 6 then. (3 turns were about as hard as it got...)

I was so thrilled. My group coach (who is now, at last, my private coach but y'all know that story) was kinda watching and I was so happy. Probably more happy that he saw that than me doing the loop (yesterday).

I taught myself the waltz jump, BTW, which made it even cooler for me at the time.

oh yeah, I can't believe I used to find 3 turns really hard!! it's weird, looking back. or that I thought that I'd never land the salchow, and that my spins were going to be hopeless forever...

P.S. miss indigo, Snap! as they say... self taught waltz jumps, that is... and at 13 too? LOL.

flying~camel
10-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Waltz jump at age 13

liz_on_ice
10-05-2007, 05:30 PM
oh yeah, I can't believe I used to find 3 turns really hard!! it's weird, looking back. or that I thought that I'd never land the salchow, and that my spins were going to be hopeless forever...

I still think that about my spins :lol:

Caris
10-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Well, I only started this year at an ancient 32! I have mastered.......

Three jump

Three jump chasse three jump (not the skating chasse, but the ballet chasse - no idea of it's name on ice!)

Ballet jump

Bunny hop

Toe loop

Salcow

and various combinations of the above!

liya_skatergirl
10-09-2007, 12:04 AM
my first jump, i landed two weeks ago. it was a half flip. haha

Mel On Ice
10-10-2007, 12:36 PM
waltz jump during a Christmas clinic in '98 after 7 months in LTS. I was 29. I landed a toe loop two months later. Feb '99, in LTS. I landed a salchow two months later, April '99.

I learned all the half jumps that spring and summer of '99, but the next whole rev. jump I landed, oddly enough, was the lutz that summer because I thought that's how you did a half lutz. Once my coach told me what I did, I was so startled, I didn't land another one for 6 years.

Loop took its sweet ol' time, and I started landing them consistently in '03. Had to be 33.

Flip... I landed at least one a year from 2000 to 2005 but my body didn't get the mechanics of the jump until May 12, 2005 (it was noted, underlined, chronicled in my ice diary) when I threw a pity party of one/temper tantrum about it then landed it. Flip in combination and lutz arrived 10 minutes later. Must've been 35.

29... 33... 35... any guesses on the axel? My goal was 40, so I have less than 2 years to go.

DaisySkate♥
04-26-2008, 10:49 AM
I Dont Remember When I First Landed A Jump... I Started About 5 Years Ago Lol So No Idea Really!

Things I DO Remember:

First Comp - Sept 2004
First Win At An Open Comp - June 2006
First PROPER Axel Landed - June 2006
First Axel In A Comp - March 2007
First Double Jump In A Comp - April 2007
First PROPER Double Loop - Feb 2008

Helen88
04-26-2008, 01:11 PM
P.S. miss indigo, Snap! as they say... self taught waltz jumps, that is... and at 13 too? LOL.

Double snap! Self taught waltz-jump, landed at 13 :D

smelltheice
04-26-2008, 01:27 PM
First jump is a bit of a blur, however, first overhead lift in ice that went up was a drape and was at a show audition in January 2003 in England

looplover
04-26-2008, 04:22 PM
I think it was a waltz jump, though not a very good one. I was jumping into the circle rather than out of it. It took years for that to get corrected! Sometimes I forget and still jump into the circle...

celticprincess
04-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Let me see...

First time skating: Maybe four years old with my parents.

I fell in love with it: 15 yrs old when we were in Maryland and had a condo with an ice rink in it. I absolutely loved every minite of it.

First time going backwards and three turns: 15 yrs old at the condo with the ice rink

First attempt at spinning: Seventeen at my ice skating birthday party with all of my friends.

First jump: Waltz jump when I was eighteen and started skating during my two hour break at college. I basicly watch other people and picked it up.

First offical show: When I was nineteen, unoffically part of my home club. I asked the coach and she let me be in it. We did 'Puttin on the Ritz' and had to wear tails and top hates. I did my oh so lovely waltz and spin.

First offical private lesson: When I was nineteen and the begining of the season.

First competition experience: When I was 20, the same year as my first private lesson. My coach thought I would do really well at 'showcase', so I tried it and got a bronze and LOVED it. I miss the routine...perhaps someday I will create my 'Chicago' program..part 2.

First 'actual' spin: I was 21 actually and got brand new skates. Thats when I started getting rather good at spinning.

First oh so lovely fall: When I was eighteen and finished a perfect waltz jump. I step out and go right over my toe pick and end up falling flat on my face(not on my face so to speak) lets just say it looked like superman flying. Not only that, but it had alittle slide to it.

First 'self choreographed' program: This year, I self choreographed two showcases and got my first silver medal with one of them.

Yeah so thats my skating timeline. Some things I'd like to add: First time actually landing my axel(hehe), First gold medal, first experience at AN(hopefully next year), first experience at National Showcase(fingers are crossed for next year).

ibreakhearts66
04-27-2008, 05:12 PM
i don't really remember any of my first jumps, including my axel. i guess the low singles weren't that big of a deal to me, and i just do not remember first landing axels.

i do remember my first really choctaw. i did the step, looked down, looked up, looked down, and finally realized i WAS on a BO edge.

i was also super excited the first time i didn't come in last in a competition. it was at the preliminary level. i had been out for a while due to a blown-out knee, and almost didn't even check the results, expecting to come in last. i didn't! i was so excited to be second to last, i can't even tell you.

first REAL double flip i would say came recently. i had been landing them occasionally, but not strongly enough to really feel like i could say i landed it. i landed my first solid one 2 weeks ago, and it was like my choctaw--look down, up, down again and the look around, still trying to figure out if i was really standing up or not.

WhiteBoots30
04-28-2008, 11:05 AM
3 jump (waltz jump) aged 30 - I had been skating a few months in the mother and toddler course. Even though it barely left the ice I was so excited to be learning a jump I could hardly sleep that night. It is still one of my favourite jumps as when it works well it feels like I'm flying. My aim is for my axel to feel like that too (at the moment it is anything but!).

jcookie1982
04-28-2008, 07:36 PM
I landed my first waltz jump when I was 11 or 12. My best friend and I taught ourselves.

kayskate
04-29-2008, 05:35 AM
I was about 11 yrs old when I was roller skating in the garage I just jumped up from both feet, turned 360 and landed on 2 feet. Maybe a yr later I did a waltz jump and salchow. I also did some simple toe tap jumps. All on quads in the garage, no lessons.

Kay