View Full Version : help me find an orthopedic doc around the Bay Area?

holdenmt
07-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Many, many years ago, I started to have problems with my knees, and recently have been having hip pain due to ALL that falling from jumps, onto my right hip - this after 20 or so years of skating. I stopped skating about ten years ago and am now into martial arts - but I still feel the pain.

Any recommendations for good docs in the San Francisco/Oakland area?

Thanks in advance - Maria.

dbny
07-30-2007, 10:23 AM
For best results, put this post in the "On Ice - Skaters" forum.

kander
07-31-2007, 12:09 AM
Many, many years ago, I started to have problems with my knees, and recently have been having hip pain due to ALL that falling from jumps, onto my right hip - this after 20 or so years of skating. I stopped skating about ten years ago and am now into martial arts - but I still feel the pain.

Any recommendations for good docs in the San Francisco/Oakland area?

Thanks in advance - Maria.

There are some excellent places around Stanford. You might try Dr. Dillingham(?) the guy who works on the 49ers. Does anybody know who did Boitano's knees?

Thin-Ice
07-31-2007, 02:50 AM
I have a great sports medicine guy who works with members of the SF Ballet, Diablo Ballet, Bebe Liang when she trained in the bay area and he worked with Boitano for a while (He may still, but he doesn't talk about his other patients. I happened to see Bebe while in the waiting room a couple of times and a couple of the ballet dancers mentioned him in articles I've read.) His name is Dr. Alvin Loosli and he has offices in SF and Walnut Creek. In SF he works out of St. Francis Hospital. I love Dr. Loosli, because his whole attitude is "What do you want to do in life and how do we make it possible for your body to keep doing that?". He actually said "I won't tell you to give up skating if you won't tell me to give up running". If he can't help you, he gives good recommendations for other like-minded doctors. He works with kids, adults, athletes, people who want to get into better shape but hurt themselves in the process... the entire gamut. The only thing he's really strict about is you have to do the work he tells you to since no one else can do the work for you. Only you can get rid of your pain/injury and he's there to help you do it, but you have to be as committed to it as he and his staff are. Good luck!