View Full Version : Weight transfer when one leg is longer than the other?

singerskates
07-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Hi, I was just a the Mississauga Ribfest to see our friend play in the Bluesable Suspects and Jeff Healey and the Jazz Wizzards on FridayJuly 20th 2007 when my husband and I happened on a Chiropractor's both with this measuring weight test thing. It showed that I was 5 pounds heavier on the left side than the right side. I've always wondered if my left leg was longer ever since I started skating. He did say that I should get my legs from my hips down measured to find out what the difference in length is so that it can be corrected.

Well this brings me to the realization that it's no wonder that I have trouble transfering my weight to my right landing leg. And when I can or get close most of my jumps find me touching down with my left leg first because I can't seem to get that left leg over. I also feel that my right skate is too loose. I'm thinking of adding an extra layer of foot bed to make up the difference of right leg length until I can get the x-ray done on my legs. I also think it's the reason I can't seem to get that back spin to go past one revolution. Maybe if my right leg was even with the left it might help.

I seem to have an easy time jumping high enough in my flip and lutz and most of the time my waltz jump but my loop and toe loop don't get off of the ice much. I also can do ten or so spin revolutions on my left leg.

I wish I would have found this out 4 years ago when I started to seriously compete. I would already have my Senior Bronze FS (competively Adult Gold) already. I've been so frustrated with this.

jp1andOnly
07-24-2007, 01:00 AM
honestly, EVERYONE has one side that is longer/bigger/fatter, etc. Trust me, just because your leg is a little longer and has more weight does not mean it's more difficult to weight transfer in your jumps.

Heck, I have a really weak side that can't be fixed due to medical reasons and I can transfer. I also have one leg longer and one hip higher.

Sorry, unless there is a significant discrepancy, your theory doesn't pan out

TRain with a coach, listen to what they say and be patient. For us adults, things come a bit slower than the kids.

icedancer2
07-24-2007, 01:56 PM
I agree with jp that all of us have one leg longer, one hip more forward, etc., BUT I have also had the experience of my body actually changing once I saw the right PT, chiropractor, etc., and it is starting to actually change my skating!!!

I used to have one leg longer that the other (hip rode higher basically) and now they are even and my right hip, which used to jut forward, is now even with my left hip!

The changes on the ice are subtle, but I certainly notice a difference. It's exciting to know that at age 53 your body really can change (I have to figure out how to get my mind to realize that I actually CAN do some of these things that I have been avoiding!!).

I wouldn't expect a skating coach to be able to completely solve the problem for you, but with the right help, I think you could get more even and then the coach could help you transfer that to the problems you are having on the ice.

Just my 2 cents.:)

doubletoe
07-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Apparently, mine are a little uneven as well. My chiropractor had me stand with each foot on a different scale and showed me how I have more weight on my left side when I stand on both feet. I also need to hem my pants 1/4" shorter on the left leg. But fortunately, in figure skating our legs do not need to be the same length and our hips don't even have to be at exactly the same level. We are on one leg or the other 99.9% of the time, and even when we're on two feet, we are almost always on an edge so we are lifting one hip or the other to create a lean. The difference between lifting or not lifting a hip while skating is greater than the difference in your leg length, so you might want to ask your coach to focus on which hip you are supposed to be lifting or not lifting at any given time on your various elements.

coskater64
07-24-2007, 04:56 PM
My leg length tends to change depending on how warm I am. After 20 minutes on the elliptical my legs are almost even, after practicing long painful crossrolls and counter rotational moves like bracket and quick rockers I am a 1/2" shorter because I usually jam my hip. (Yes it stings) shockingly, you just suffer through it.... sigh.:halo:

techskater
07-24-2007, 04:58 PM
I know a Gold lady who has a significant difference in her legs that is compensated for in her boots and I never hear an excuse from her that she can't do something because of it. I've seen nice Axels and double Salchows from her along with just plain old nice programs.

doubletoe
07-24-2007, 06:40 PM
I know a Gold lady who has a significant difference in her legs that is compensated for in her boots and I never hear an excuse from her that she can't do something because of it. I've seen nice Axels and double Salchows from her along with just plain old nice programs.

Yes, I noticed the stacked platform heel on one of her boots! 8O VERRRY cool!

singerskates
07-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Basically, it's not just affecting me when I skate but when I walk too. I've tried putting an extra insole in my right foot of both my skates and my shoes. The extra insole helps with my shoes but so far it doesn't really help with skating except that I don't get that much hip pain anymore. I still need to be x-rayed to see how far off the problem is. I'm thinking it's not really an on ice issue now but more of an all the time issue. I'm saying this because I took 5 days off from skating in a row and before I put the extra insole in my shoes, my hip wasn't getting any better. I'm coming to think it was the everyday stress on my hip that was creaping into my skating.

Has anyone added anything to their skate on the shorter leg to even out their legs when skating? What did you do? I tried putting that extra insole in but it just made my skate more on my inside edge on my right foot. I am also wondering if I need to push the right blade inside even more to get me to stay off of the inside edge when landing jumps. I'm just so frustrated.

I stayed home today from skating to let the hip calm down more.

PS: I wish my coach would have more time for me but it seems almost all of the skaters have him during summer skating school. Most of the skaters are not from my club and this lack of lessons should be over once the fall/winter sessions begin.

CanAmSk8ter
07-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Once you know more about the exact discrepancy and how much it is, I'd talk to the company that makes your boots and see if they can build up parts of the sole for you to make up the difference. You may have to go into custom boots for them to do that, but if you think it's affecting your skating it's probably worth it. I don't personally know anyone who's done that, but I know at least a handful of ice dancers who get their soles built up to make them look taller, and in a couple of cases to give them an extra half-inch or so of height to better match a partner.

jp1andOnly
07-26-2007, 07:41 PM
try stretching. Your hip flexors, IT band, etc might be very tight. Go to physio and see if they can help.

My hip is always in pain and its because I have problems with my IT band. I do stretches and it helps....if I dont do the prescribed stretches I can barely walk.

Basically, it's not just affecting me when I skate but when I walk too. I've tried putting an extra insole in my right foot of both my skates and my shoes. The extra insole helps with my shoes but so far it doesn't really help with skating except that I don't get that much hip pain anymore. I still need to be x-rayed to see how far off the problem is. I'm thinking it's not really an on ice issue now but more of an all the time issue. I'm saying this because I took 5 days off from skating in a row and before I put the extra insole in my shoes, my hip wasn't getting any better. I'm coming to think it was the everyday stress on my hip that was creaping into my skating.

Has anyone added anything to their skate on the shorter leg to even out their legs when skating? What did you do? I tried putting that extra insole in but it just made my skate more on my inside edge on my right foot. I am also wondering if I need to push the right blade inside even more to get me to stay off of the inside edge when landing jumps. I'm just so frustrated.

I stayed home today from skating to let the hip calm down more.

PS: I wish my coach would have more time for me but it seems almost all of the skaters have him during summer skating school. Most of the skaters are not from my club and this lack of lessons should be over once the fall/winter sessions begin.

lov2sk8
07-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Basically hip imbalances happen because of muscle imbalance. Often the Psoas is to blame. Also a good chiropractor is a must. Muscle activation therapy has been my savior .

slusher
07-28-2007, 03:01 PM
I have no clue if one leg is longer than the other, I know I have one boob bigger than the other, maybe a boob job will help me keep my shoulders back when I spin :lol:

jp1andOnly
07-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Hahaha...exactly!!!!

I have no clue if one leg is longer than the other, I know I have one boob bigger than the other, maybe a boob job will help me keep my shoulders back when I spin :lol:

Kristin
07-30-2007, 12:31 PM

:lol: Hilarious!!!! :lol: