View Full Version : skating while pregnant

jcookie1982
07-22-2007, 08:16 PM
I just found out that I am pregnant, and would like to continue skating (even though I've been off the ice for 2 months now for different reasons.) I think that I'm just going to stick with moves in the field and maybe dance, and save freestyle for after I have the baby. How many of you skated while pregnant, and how long did you continue to skate into your pregnancy?

flippet
07-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Congratulations! :)

I only skated very early in my pregnancy, but that was due to lack of ice time, not anything else!

My best skating friend skated through probably her seventh or eight month, but then, she didn't do more than 'stroll' around the ice (she wasn't a competitive or even lessons skater). She was very stable, however.

Given the chance, I would have skated as long as I felt stable on the ice, probably cutting back on jumps, etc.

I had a coach who coached on the ice into her ninth month with no problems other than swollen feet.

Just a warning though---some people will give you some VERY opinionated answers--most are thinking about safety (and you'll need to as well), but remember that you know yourself best.

teresa
07-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Your decision. My personal choice in this position would be to stop. I love skating but I wouldn't be willing to take any risk with my baby. My worse falls have always been doing the silly things. You never know when they will happen. Being pregnant lasts a short time, even though it seems forever at the time. You decide what's right for you. Best wishes.

teresa

chowskates
07-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Congratulations, jcookie!

Thought you might be interested in the fact that Jamie Sale performed in SOI tour earlier this year throughout her first trimester! She's been posting a few updates on:
http://www.sale-pelletier.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=0ab8608a6e0272e6251c9f378b20fa18
Of course we aren't of her caliber, but... gives you some perspective on what "can" or "cannot" be done...

I would think the first obvious thing is to reduce the risk of falling. I suppose you must have considered that, to give up freestyle for the time being. But if you are working on new/difficult moves, there is also a risk!!

I heard that pregnant women should ensure good blood circulation, especially to & from the feet... and uh, squeezing the feet into tight boots and then keeping them cold doesn't sound like such a good idea. There is also the point about hormones affecting the sense of balance - but I think that would be an issue later in the pregnancy.

Lastly, this is something I have been wondering about - if getting pregnant changes the CG, why practise when pregnant and then have to re-adjust after???

Eventually, you do have to listen to your body and adjust according to your own comfort level on the ice!

So, since I'm posting about this, I suppose I should come out too, and say:
I too found out, almost five weeks ago, that I am pregnant.

Ergo, I haven't been posting on the practise thread lately... It was a coincidence with my coach leaving, and I had to tell the other coach why, after bugging him for lessons, I suddenly didn't sign up. Ever since then, he has been giving me disapproving looks every time he sees me at the rink!

In the last 4 weeks I haven't been skating much but I still coach, although I have told the rink I will not take any more new students. This is not so much because of what others tell me but rather because I was really very tired. My sister (a medical doctor) forbade me from jumping or spinning, and I "obey" her mostly because I myself don't feel up to it. Nonetheless, I do sneak in a loop, or a little spin now and then - to show my students. Once or twice I did feel a little "off", so would abort it.

I am lucky I do not have any morning sickness, so I try to skate 'for myself' at least once a week, at times when the rink is quieter (less risk of people running into me and making me fall!). This would usually be at lunchtime, which is heavenly peaceful, as all kids are in school! I would work on basics, moves and spiral sequences, and when I feel like it, dance. I do this just to keep active and get some sort of exercise (yah, I'm really bad at exercising in this darned hot weather here!). Usually I skate just 30-40 minutes, as my feet get really tired after that.

I am following the principle of: skating can wait - I want my baby.

jcookie1982
07-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Congrats to you too Chowskates! I guess I will go to the rink this week and skate around a little bit and see how I feel, and if I'm at all wobbly, then I'll hang up the skates.

Mrs Redboots
07-23-2007, 01:37 AM
http://dl3.glitter-graphics.net/pub/30/30423vu0y3y9d24.jpg (http://www.glitter-graphics.com)

to both of you!

tidesong
07-23-2007, 02:02 AM
Congratulations to both of you!

SynchroSk8r114
07-23-2007, 05:09 AM
Congratulations! :D

I had a coach who skated during all three of her pregnancies. Well, by "skated" I mean "coached." She seemed to do fine on the ice, taking little breaks when she felt she needed them and making sure to stay as close to the boards as possible, especially in her final trimester. Unfortunately, she was hit by someone setting up a lutz once and went down, but she and the baby were all right. Still, it was definitely a little scary for herself and other skaters who constantly had to be on the look out.

My old coach also cut back on the amount of demonstrations she did during lessons. I mean, by then many of her students already knew what to do so it was somewhat easy to tell them verbally.

I guess it all depends on your personal feelings. While my old coach skated up to the day before she gave birth, another coach I know ended up off the ice for most of her pregnancy (morning sickness and other complications). I would say that as long as you feel up to it and are careful as possible - definitely let other skaters and coaches know you're pregnant - you should be fine.

Again, congrats!

Figureskates
07-23-2007, 05:51 AM
You might want to see how your husband feels about it.

Personally, if my wife were pregnant, I would be a little "anxious" to have her continue skating. JMHO

NickiT
07-23-2007, 06:20 AM
Congratulations!

As far as skating in pregnancy is concerned, that's very much a personal choice but I didn't with either of my pregnancies. As soon as I got that positive test result my coach wasn't happy to continue coaching me and to be honestr I didn't feel happy skating while pregnant. I felt so sick anyway that the last thing I wanted to do was skate, and that aside you have to consider the fact that your weight change affects your balance and your ligaments soften making you more prone to injury. I do know people (coaches) who have continued to skate far into their pregnancy, but they weren't actively skating.

Nicki

looplover
07-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Congratulations!!!! However I have no advice about skating pregnant (this womb is going unused)

quarkiki2
07-23-2007, 08:27 AM
Hola! First of all, congratulations!!!

I'm the resident "skating while pregnant" expert as I've skated well into both of my pregnancies. I stopped jumping, spinning, and sakting on my synchro teams at about 10-12 weeks with both, but still got out there to teach the tots in Snowplow Sam and help coach my synchro team until 6 months the first time and 7 this time (I'm due in early September with a baby girl).

Truthfully, when I'm just stroking, my balance is fine. After 12 weeks I haven't really attempted much more than that... Stroking and gliding.

The reason I got off the ice this time was because I wasn't able to lace my skates comfortably. I looked like a comedy sketch the last
time I tried to lace them -- I as reall, really glad that I was in the coaches' room alone, LOL!

As I said, I've never had issues with balance while pregnant, but I belive that is unusual. I have also been very fortunate in that my feet have not changed size either time. I am a naturally flexible person, so I stop stretching the instant I'm pregnant because the LAST thing I need is loser hips -- the relaxin your body produces starts loosening you pretty early on -- you may find that you have a split that you didn't know you had, LOL! Some people can't deal with morning sickess on the ice -- the rate of movement and rotation send some women lurching for the bathroom. And you're extra, extra tired, particularly in teh first and third trimester.

Coming back from pregnancy is not easy -- your abdominal/core strength is completely shot. I wobbled for about 9 months before I felt like I was "back to myself" and starting to make some forward progress in my skating instead of trying to get back into shape.

As a PP said, you will get a varying response to this thread -- I know that both times that I've announced a pregnancy I get a HUGE congratulatory response, followed by eight thousand people asking me "How long are tyou going to stay on the ice?" I believe that I know my body better than anyone and would never, ever take a risk that I thought would hurt me or my babies. That being said, exercising your mind and body throughout a pregnancy helps you prepare for labor and delivery. If you're in good shape and have a positive body image, you're going to have an easier time at the end.

Enjoy your pregnancy!!!

liz_on_ice
07-23-2007, 09:08 AM
I just found out that I am pregnant, and would like to continue skating (even though I've been off the ice for 2 months now for different reasons.) I think that I'm just going to stick with moves in the field and maybe dance, and save freestyle for after I have the baby. How many of you skated while pregnant, and how long did you continue to skate into your pregnancy?

I skated to about 4 1/2 months, and would have gone much longer except we bought a house and that chewed up all my time till the baby came. My doctor cleared it, he said the baby is very well protected. Mind you, I was FS1 then and only doing 1/2 jumps.

Those few months helped a lot, I didn't start gaining weight till I stopped skating, and I felt stronger with less back pain and other aches than my first pregnancy, when I wasn't getting much exercise at all. Plus I was feeling the heat more and the cold rink air felt wonderful.

Spinning went out the window long before I started to show, but spirals got nicer as joints loosened up a bit.

FLskater
07-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Congratulations!!!!

When I first starting thinking about trying to get pregnant, I went to the library to check out books on pregnancy. Wouldn't you know, the first book I opened up - the page that magically "fell open" was a list of what sports were considered safe & what was not. It said that ice skating was pretty much off limits, unless you are an experienced skater, in which case no jumps or spins. It also said that the added body weight could throw off your balance in a way you're not used to.

I know of one coach at my rink who taught right before she had her first child. She was more concerned about someone bumping into her, & knocking her over.

I also heard that another coach was recently pregnant, then fell & lost the baby.

My coach now has told me that I am not to skate while pregnant, based on the previous story.

Personally, I am a worry wart, & I would probably be too nervous for fear I would lose the baby. Then again, I'm a bit of a klutz, so my fears may be warranted.

Just wanted to share. The decision you make is yours - just realize that the farther along you get in your pregnancy, the more comments people are bound to make.

Best of luck!!!

Petlover
07-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Congratulations!!!!!

Morgail
07-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Congratulations jcookie1982 and chowskates!!!!! :D

I have no advice to give, as I've never been pregnant. One thing did occur to me though - don't your feet swell, or even gain a 1/2 size or so, at some point when you're pregnant? That might make skates a little uncomfortable.

Scarlett
07-23-2007, 07:01 PM
I have nothing to add on the pregnancy angle I just wanted to say

and to jcookie I take it you are not skating synchro this season :) ?

jcookie1982
07-23-2007, 10:38 PM
I have nothing to add on the pregnancy angle I just wanted to say

and to jcookie I take it you are not skating synchro this season :) ?

LOL, no, but I'm shooting for the next season.

jcookie1982
07-23-2007, 10:44 PM
I skated to about 4 1/2 months, and would have gone much longer except we bought a house and that chewed up all my time till the baby came. My doctor cleared it, he said the baby is very well protected. Mind you, I was FS1 then and only doing 1/2 jumps.

Well, my last pregnancy I was in a car accident where my SUV rolled 5 times, I almost died, and my baby was totally unharmed. That makes a fall on the ice look like nothing, but I guess its better to be safe than sorry.

herniated
07-24-2007, 08:03 AM
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH!!!!How exciting!!!

I skated for about two months and then morning sickness (actually all day sickness) took over!! Yuck!!8O Then that was the end until I went back. My doctor thought it was fine to skate, because I had been doing it all along. But... he felt that if I fell forward and on my abdomen I was risking a miscarrage and/or premature birth.

In my early weeks of pregnancy ( I didn't know at the time) I fell twice on my butt. Other than feeling weird and more achey than usual the falls did not affect my pregnancy. But, like everyone has been saying we are all different and all pregnancies are not the same.

Anyway.... Congrats to you both and keep us informed!!!

Mrs Redboots
07-24-2007, 11:43 AM
I mentioned this to coach2 this morning - she taught on the ice until the day before both her sons were born. After the first boy was born, she taught from the barrier for two weeks, and said she was told no skating for six weeks ("but bother that!"); she was back on the ice (and holding another skater in the harness) two days after son number 2 arrived!

She did say, though, that there is a huge difference between teaching and skating! She wouldn't have done any massive jumps or anything while pregnant, but she was comfortable on the ice. I do remember, though, her saying at the time, a few weeks post-partum, that she kept forgetting that certain moves hurt when trying to demonstrate them!

chowskates
07-25-2007, 12:52 AM
Hola! First of all, congratulations!!!

I'm the resident "skating while pregnant" expert as I've skated well into both of my pregnancies. I stopped jumping, spinning, and sakting on my synchro teams at about 10-12 weeks with both, but still got out there to teach the tots in Snowplow Sam and help coach my synchro team until 6 months the first time and 7 this time (I'm due in early September with a baby girl).

Quarkiki, congratulations to you too!

Since Monday, my mom has been telling me to stop going to the rink. She is very worried that something will happen. Though I don't skate anymore, I am still coaching and would like to continue, until around October or so. I don't know how to respond :(

Mrs Redboots
07-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Quarkiki, congratulations to you too!

Since Monday, my mom has been telling me to stop going to the rink. She is very worried that something will happen. Though I don't skate anymore, I am still coaching and would like to continue, until around October or so. I don't know how to respond :(

Tell her there's a vast difference between coaching and skating! Which there is. And our coach2 said that she felt no more clumsy on the ice than off it - she fell off her chair, but not off her skates!

flippet
07-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Since Monday, my mom has been telling me to stop going to the rink.

I've found that people respond as if your level of skating is *their* level of skating. As in--they would stumble around the rink and fall every three seconds---and they'd get hurt doing that. So, because that scares them, they transfer that over to you, and assume/are afraid that your skating level isn't much better, not really.

The way I see it is--you need to assess your acceptable level of 'risk', and continually assess your level of stability. If you stay within those ranges (and they'll be different for everyone), then you should be fine.

Like someone mentioned, Jamie Sale has been skating throughout her pregnancy so far. IIRC, so have a lot of elite skaters, for a while, at least. Their level of stability is, of course, much higher than most of us! :lol: So, they're fine still jumping, being thrown, etc--but I bet they're not pushing it 100% either.

I'd say, rule-of-thumb, cut it back to 75%, or even 50% of what you do when you're going full-out, and you'll probably be within your personal 'safety range'. Of course there's still a risk--but you take a risk just by going about normal everyday activities as well. (My BFF stepped off her front step and broke her ankle early in her pregnancy--stuff happens.)

Just remember that people see it from their own perspective. If it would be terribly risky for *them* to do, then they often think it would be for you, too. You've got to pay the most attention to you, not them.

chowskates
07-25-2007, 10:51 AM
I've found that people respond as if your level of skating is *their* level of skating. As in--they would stumble around the rink and fall every three seconds---and they'd get hurt doing that. So, because that scares them, they transfer that over to you, and assume/are afraid that your skating level isn't much better, not really.

That's a good point. Thanks!

Like someone mentioned, Jamie Sale has been skating throughout her pregnancy so far. IIRC, so have a lot of elite skaters, for a while, at least. Their level of stability is, of course, much higher than most of us! :lol: So, they're fine still jumping, being thrown, etc--but I bet they're not pushing it 100% either.

Yep, I mentioned it. Then, I went to search for their SOI program on YouTube, and noticed that she did no jumps, no throws, no spins...

quarkiki2
07-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Yes, there is a complete difference between coaching while pregnant and skating for yourself while pregnant. Like I said, I have had no balance issues and was just fine with my tots and synchro team -- I just couldn't bend over to lace my skates any more... hehe. I was just fine stroking and standing on the ice -- and I'm not a former child skater. I can give plenty-o-feedback to the synchro team from the boards (well, actually a chair near the CD player).

Only you know your body well enough to know if it's healthy for you to continue to skate -- I knew that I wasn't going to be fallig all over (I haven't fallen in over a year -- I'm a chicken weenie, LOL!) and that my balance has not been affected by the pregnancies. Others can't say the same.

And thanks for the congrats! I am very fortunate in that I have (to this point) had two very healthy and comfortable pregnancies -- I love being pregnant!

hepcat
04-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I dug up this old thread - well, for obvious reasons.

I wanted to ask - of those of you who became pregnant, how long were you off the ice after the baby was born? When did you stop skating?

I'm about 5 weeks along and I have a Saturday class that goes through the end of this month, so I think I'm safe to finish it. I swear, if I'd known a few months ago that this was coming I wouldn't have broken down and bought my first pair of custom boots. What if my feet change? I have one daughter already, so I'm hoping my feet won't warp too much.

Virtualsk8r
04-01-2008, 12:36 PM
I skated up until the night before I delivered...debated going to the rink that night but just didn't feel up to it -- no wonder! I went into labor that night.

I didn't do freeskate but ice dancing, and found doing things like the Viennese at 8 months a bit hard to balance, not to mention trying to do up the skates (physically bending over not because my skates were too tight).

I also taught a few pregnant women over the years. One was learning to do her axel when she got pregnant and kept doing it, along with double salchows for a few months - I think until about 6 months - then I wouldn't let her. Spins were okay once they got their balance. However, the Paso Doble was interesting to partner with a visably pregnant skater - but she passed.

sk8_4fun
04-01-2008, 01:31 PM
congratulations Jessica:P I see Baby Emily made an appearance last Saturday. Hope you are both doing well.:D

Isk8NYC
04-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Congratulations
and welcome to the new baby!

herniated
04-01-2008, 01:54 PM
I came off the ice after only two months. I had such terrible 'all- day' sickness I couldn't take it.

I started skating again after 4 weeks, with doctors permission. I didn't have a c-section either.

And, Congratulations!!!!

hepcat
04-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I skated up until the night before I delivered...debated going to the rink that night but just didn't feel up to it -- no wonder! I went into labor that night.

I didn't do freeskate but ice dancing, and found doing things like the Viennese at 8 months a bit hard to balance, not to mention trying to do up the skates (physically bending over not because my skates were too tight).

I also taught a few pregnant women over the years. One was learning to do her axel when she got pregnant and kept doing it, along with double salchows for a few months - I think until about 6 months - then I wouldn't let her. Spins were okay once they got their balance. However, the Paso Doble was interesting to partner with a visably pregnant skater - but she passed.

Your whole post made my jaw drop! I already feel kind of weak-kneed but I don't know if I'm just psyched out.

jcookie1982
04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
congratulations Jessica:P I see Baby Emily made an appearance last Saturday. Hope you are both doing well.:D

Thanks! We are both doing great, but her big sister is having jealousy issues after being an only child for 4 years.

Sessy
04-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Quarkiki, does the flexibility last after the pregnancy, too?
Just curious, nowhere near ready for offspring myself but this is the first time I hear something I'd call positive about pregnancy body changes.

chowskates
04-02-2008, 03:45 AM
I dug up this old thread - well, for obvious reasons.

I wanted to ask - of those of you who became pregnant, how long were you off the ice after the baby was born? When did you stop skating?

I'm about 5 weeks along and I have a Saturday class that goes through the end of this month, so I think I'm safe to finish it. I swear, if I'd known a few months ago that this was coming I wouldn't have broken down and bought my first pair of custom boots. What if my feet change? I have one daughter already, so I'm hoping my feet won't warp too much.

I haven't logged in here since my little one was born 6 weeks ago. While Iwas pregnant, I skated/coached up until 6 months. Yesterday was the first time I skated since then...

I did also worry about my feet changing, but I managed to fit into my boots. They felt a little tight, but one of the coaches said I'd get used to it. It did feel a little strange to be on ice again. I must say I've lost a lot of stamina and strength - my legs felt like jelly after just 20 mins! Not sure if this is common also for normal delivery (I had to have a c-section).

After working on some stroking, edges & turns, I tried the backspin, and upright spin. Later, I also tried all single jumps (except for the Axel). I was feeling a little too weak to attempt the sit or camel.

I too ordered a new pair of boots just 2 weeks before I found out I was pregnant and I'm certainly not in any shape to break in boots right now... (anyone wants to buy Riedell Royals size 6 1/2 B?)

herniated
04-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Congrats Chow!!!!! So happy for you!!! And yes, the legs felt like jelly even after a regular delivery!!! My gut felt and was like jelly too. lol I went out and bought from a surgical supply place a wrap around girdle/ corset. They fitted me for it. I'm soooo crazy. But yes my legs felt like wet noodles.

quarkiki2
04-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Congratulations jcookie1982 and chowskates on the new little ones!

Congrats Hepcat on the pregnancy!

Sessy, I'm not a good one to ask about hip flexibility as my hips are flexible pregnant or not. In fact, I consciously DON'T stretch while pregnant because, even though I'm fat and old, I can still drop into a full split on either side without warming up any time, any day. (Just as skittl, LOL!)

For most people, that joint loosening tightens back up post-partum as the rest of your body puts itself back together. I'm 7 months post-partum after Violet and just last night noticed that my hamstrings were starting to feel liks real muscles again instead of hiding under baby-fat (which I have yet to lose, ugh...). That's one reason to have your kids younger, LOL, the baby fat is so much harder to lose after 30 (or almost 35, in my case). Hopefully, I won't split my synchro costume next weekend...

manleywoman
04-02-2008, 09:54 AM
My gut felt and was like jelly too. lol I went out and bought from a surgical supply place a wrap around girdle/ corset. They fitted me for it.

I've heard about these. Have any resources?

mantysk8er
04-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Congratulations to the new moms!

I also am a new mom (well, an old mom with a new baby...I also have a 3.5 year old) to an 8 week old girl.

I coached right up until the end with no issues. I took my 3 year old to public skate a few weeks ago however...I was maybe 5 weeks postpartum (after a c-section) I think, and holy cow...I felt like a beginner! I think it was because I gained the weight so gradually that I really didn't notice balance changes, but then when the belly was suddenly gone, that was when it was hard to adjust for the balance changes. So that is something to remember if you skate your whole pregnancy.

I really haven't tried jumping or spinning yet. Probably won't get a chance to do any of that until June as our ice is out now.

Jcookie...my 3 year old is having jealousy issues too! PM me if you ever want to compare notes!

herniated
04-02-2008, 11:38 AM
I've heard about these. Have any resources?

Sorry manleywoman. I don't have any resources. At that time I callled my local surgical supply store and told them my predicament. They then made an appointment with me for a fitting.

I only wore it until my abdominal wall was some what firm again. It looked like one of those old fashioned corsets but instead of laces to keep it together it had velcro. It was like a large band that came under the chest and ended right above the top of the pelvis, covering the umbilical area. And, it felt like a large firm ace bandage so it had some stretch.

I've seen something similar in lingerie (sp?) shops in major department stores with hook and eye closers instead of velcro. Hope that helps.

Oh and CONGRATS too to jcookie!!! Enjoy your tiny little joy!

RoaringSkates
04-03-2008, 11:21 AM
I skated until my 7th month, passed my MITF test and then stopped. I could feel my balance changing at that point, and felt it wasn't worth it to continue - too risky. But before that, I'd felt fine. I did all MITF and dance during the pregnancy - no jumps, no spins. And actually, I liked the dance that we did so much that I converted to dance after I came back as well. I've been in dance ever since.

I started skating again about 8 weeks after I had my cesarean. That was an interesting session, to say the least.