View Full Version : Skates for beginner skater

rudi
07-22-2007, 03:38 PM
I recently bought Riedell's (beginner model...12's?) for my young daughter. She said they are very tight and uncomfortable, even in her size or a size larger. I think what is uncomfortable is the width as they seem to run very narrow. I find the same thing with Riedell adult skates, which is why I never wore them (I wear Jacksons, which seem to run not as narrow).

Any other recommendations? I think the rink only sells that one brand, so if I go to buy another band (probably will looking for Jacksons or Risports), any ideas of where I can get these on-line? I hate to buy skates without having her try them on, but I don't think I have that option.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

flippet
07-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Has your daughter owned a pair of skates before? I find that people who aren't used to skates often think that a properly-fitted pair is 'too tight' because they simply aren't accustomed to how snug a good pair should be.

That doesn't mean that these skates *aren't* too tight, but it's something to think about. They should absolutely fit as if they were 'poured' on.

The ankles may need to be punched out, too, or they may need to not be tied all the way up until they're broken in.

jp1andOnly
07-22-2007, 05:23 PM
I would say go with Jackson's. they are affodable and are wider

rudi
07-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Has your daughter owned a pair of skates before? I find that people who aren't used to skates often think that a properly-fitted pair is 'too tight' because they simply aren't accustomed to how snug a good pair should be.

That doesn't mean that these skates *aren't* too tight, but it's something to think about. They should absolutely fit as if they were 'poured' on.

The ankles may need to be punched out, too, or they may need to not be tied all the way up until they're broken in.

That's what I was thinking too, at first. She did have one previous pair of Riedell's that she used to complain about too. (She has been wearing cr#ppy rentals these last couple of months, and didn't complain about them. That's another reason I'm thinking it might be the Riedell's.)

rudi
07-22-2007, 06:24 PM
I would say go with Jackson's. they are affodable and are wider

If she is just short of an 11 shoe size, what size would you go with?
I think Jackson's run a little big, right?

phoenix
07-22-2007, 07:33 PM

If I were you I'd contact a good Jackson dealer, like Rainbo or something (they have a good reputation for knowing what they're doing), and see what they recommend. You maybe could even send in a tracing of her feet. And make sure that whatever you get can be returned if it doesn't fit.

Good luck!

Isk8NYC
07-22-2007, 07:55 PM
I like Rainbo Sports and other outlets for some things, but not for skates. I like the convenience of getting measured right, trying them on, testing the skates on ice, and handling adjustments right at the rink. It's hard to know what's old stock or the wrong size/model when buying over the internet. There's no cost savings once you consider shipping and handling plus paying for adjustments. Plus, you're supporting a local business establishment.

The rentals didn't bother her because they're broken down/soft or they might be a different brand, model or width. The Riedell model 12's are the White Ribbon model. It's an entry-level recreational skate for beginners that doesn't have much leather or padding compared to the Blue Ribbon, which I prefer for my students. (Also, Jackson Mystiques are good.)

Riedell's (and other brands) DO come in different widths. Their "B" width is supposed to be average, but most people find "C" width to be better. Jackson skates usually run wider than Riedell's. Their "B" (average) width is about the same as a Riedell "C" (Wide) width. That's why it's so important for the pro shop to use the right measuring stick.

Pull the inner soles out of her new skates and have her stand on them. You'll probably find that they're too narrow in the ball of her foot. Make sure she's wearing one pair of thin socks. Double pairs of thick socks can cause the "too tight" complaint, along with cutting off circulation.

Did you buy these skates from the Pro Shop at the rink? (You didn't say that exactly.) If so, go back and complain that she was mis-measured. They should have used a Riedell measuring stick and checked the width as well.

If your daughter does need a wider skate and the pro shop doesn't have it in stock, ask them to place an order. Don't put more than $20 down, in case they screw up (it happens.) You can also ask about other brands; sometimes pro shops carry brands but might not have a banner/sticker for their display windows.

NEVER let someone try to sell you a bigger size when there's a width problem. That just makes the skate longer, not wider, and the blade won't sit right under the skater's foot. Skates that are too long result in trips, lack of control for turns and spins, not to mention blisters from rubbing.

Good luck.

CanAmSk8ter
07-23-2007, 12:42 PM
I have pretty wide feet and I *hated* my Riedells. I haven't had Riedells in ten years now, but I still have foot problems that originated with them because they were too narrow. You're smart to be looking at new skates. I wear Jacksons now and they're the most comfortable skates I've ever had. They do run wider than the Riedells, and they make some nice entry-level skates, so that's probably the brand to look into. Definitely get her fitted by a professional, though, and mention that she's had problems with the Riedells' width so they'll know you're looking for a wider-than-average boot.

rudi
07-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks, all. You have been very helpful. I will return them to the Pro shop (they haven't been worn or sharpened). I called and asked them, and they think they can order other brands. So, I will see if they can measure her again and most likely try the Jackson Mystiques.

Tennisany1
07-24-2007, 12:08 AM
My dd started out in Jackson Mystiques. They were fine, but her second pair of skates were GAMS. She has a fairly average foot and we had to have the Jacksons punched out a couple of time. The GAMS were great from the get go. She is now in her third pair with no problems.

Just another option. Their website is http://www.gamskates.com/main.html

Skittl1321
07-24-2007, 08:16 AM

I don't think we can guess without measuring (which most people say) but I don't think Jackson's run big. I wear a size 5.5 shoe and my Jackson skate is a 3 (which is nice cause it's considered a "kids" size so its a few bucks cheaper). It is much too narrow- but length wise it is perfect.

I ordered my skates online through Rainbo (there is NO local pro-shop, most drive to Minneapolis, Omaha, or Chicago)- and they were very helpful, I sent them tracings of my foot and they recommended skates- I mailed back 2 pairs before I settled on these, however, I wont' do that again. From my tracings they should have known I couldn't fit into a standard width and recommended split widths. I did not know split widths existed until about half a year later. (I couldn't get the wide because I can lace it up and pick my heel completely out of the boot, but I can't get regular because my entire big toe is off of the insole!)

Good luck finding boots!

Query
08-05-2007, 08:15 PM
My infamous page on falling (mentioned elsewhere)

http://www.geocities.com/grunes/falling.html#bootmod

has a section titled

"Boot and shoe fit and balance"

that may be helpful. There is no consensus about boot fit, and some people will completely disagree with everything I say.

If you live within driving distance of Maryland, send me a private message, and I'll give you the names of the best bootfitters I know of. Or tell the forum where you live, and you will get other opinions.

Reidell has many different models of boot. Different models have much different shapes, so a size x in model A might fit you best, whereas size x-2 or x+2 might fit you in model B.