View Full Version : Weight transfer in jumps . . .

Laura H
07-20-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm currently not able to take group lessons as our home rink is between owners and we're having to commute to out of state rinks . . . I have been working on my own and also watching the ISI tapes over and over . . . and I have a question that maybe someone can help me with - the transfer in weight that happens during a jump - for instance - when you take off on your left side in a waltz jump - and hopefully at some point midway through the jump your weight shifts to the right side for landing - well, I don't think I'm really achieving that. Or at least not very smoothly. Is there some trick to that? Hip snap or something? I do know that I have a tendency to open out my hips . . I have a lot of turnout . . . great for spread eagles and not so much for lots of other things.

I also tend to get off balance when trying off ice jumps - not sure if the two are related, but I'm pretty sure I am not keeping my body squared up like I should, and it's pulling me off. Are there any exercises I can do off ice to work on this?

Hope all of that made some sort of sense - thanks in advance to anyone who has any suggestions!

SynchroSk8r114
07-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Part of what will help you achieve that weight transfer you're talking about is not to think so much "square" in a waltz jump, but to remember to lead through the jump with your left shoulder (if you jump CCW). Leading with that left shoulder will make that weight transfer naturally effortless. I always tell me students to think of bowling when they take off. Yes, bowling. Why? Well, think about it: when you go to roll your bowling ball (you are bowling with your right hand), you have to keep your left shoulder in front or else you're going to end up throwing that bowling ball right in the gutter on the left side of the lane. (Seriously, try mimicking rolling a bowling ball off-ice right now to see what I mean...). The same thing applies to a waltz jump and even axels - if you don't lead with that left shoulder, you're going to end up in the gutter. ;)

If you have a skating friend who's on ice with you while you're practicing waltz jumps, ask if they'll help you with this exercise.
1. You do a waltz jump from a stand still while your friend stands to the left of you about where you'd be in the air during your waltz jump.
2. Your friend holds up his/her left hand out to the side with his/her palm facing you - think "high five."
3. As you jump, you're going to try and "high five" your friend's left hand with your right hand in the air. If done correctly, you should be leading with your left side while touching your friend's hand with your right on - but this hand contact should be happening in air, no earlier, no later!

You can also try modifying your waltz jump with these arm positions, which can be quite challenging, but they'll definitely fix your problem over time and with lots of practice. (Sorry, if these sound confusing, but it's always easier to see them to understand - I'll do my best to explain!)

Modification #1: Arms in frame - think of I Dream of Jeannie arms. Leave them in that position throughout the entire jump. Your arms do not go back and through as you jump. They are in frame when you take off, there in the air, and there when you land. You should feel like you're using more of your legs and that you are forced to lead with that left shoulder.

Modification #2: Arms behind back - start with your arms behind your lower back. Step with them there, leave them there in the air, and land with them there. Like the first modification, you'll feel you're using a lot of leg strength and that you are forced to lead with the left side.

Modification #3: Arms in frame to regular arms - start with frame (by stepping with them in that position), but let them come to that in-air loose circle position as you jump. Land regularly, checking with your left arm slightly more in front and your right arm a little to your side.

Modification #4 Arms behind back to regular arms - start with arms behind your back bringing them to that loose in-air position at the peak of your jump. Land with a regular arm position, again checking with your left arm slightly more in front and your right arm a little to your side.

For a single jump (as opposed to an axel, for instance), you don't want to think of snapping your hips. I suggest thinking of jumping up and out - even think of splitting your legs in the air. I tell my students to make their legs as far apart from each other as possible. They eventually get the feeling of the "hang time" in the air, which can also be achieved by correcting the shoulders as I mentioned above. That also eliminates the whippy waltz jumps with no height.

Finally, if you want a good off-ice exercise for waltz jumps/axels:

1. Get a large open room where you can do a lot of running. Make sure to wear tennis shoes too! Start by doing running forward crossovers (or so your runs should mimick) making sure to let your left side lead. You should almost feel like you're running sideways in a large circle.

2. After building up a little bit of speed from those running crossovers, go right into a big waltz jump. If your left side leads, you've got it! You should be able to get lots of off-ice height and distance - more so than on-ice, of course - but getting used to that position/height/speed off-ice will carry over to your regular skating.

Hope this helps! If you need more clarification, just let me know. Just remember: it's all about the left side. Good luck and happy waltz jumping! :D

Isk8NYC
07-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Practice doing your waltz jumps on a hockey circle taking off from a curving forward outside edge and landing on a curving outside edge on the opposite foot. Think about jumping up and over a log placed perpendicular to the hockey circle; you should strive to come back down on the other side and continue on the circle.

Another good on-ice exercise is jumping up to touch your inside ankles together in the air. Forces you to really jump UP! and makes it easier to feel the axis change.

Off-ice: Jump into a swimming pool using your takeoff foot, turn and "land" in the water landing-foot-first. Much easier from a diving board.

SynchroSk8r114
07-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Another good on-ice exercise is jumping up to touch your inside ankles together in the air. Forces you to really jump UP! and makes it easier to feel the axis change.

Oooh, I forgot about this one! I use it all the time, especially for warming-up doubles. Just make sure to click your ankles at the peak of your jump. This is such a good one!

Isk8NYC
07-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Oooh, I forgot about this one! I use it all the time, especially for warming-up doubles. Just make sure to click your ankles at the peak of your jump. This is such a good one!
I was taught that this is called the "Cabriolet Waltz Jump," but I don't know where that name came from or what it means. It's fun to do, though, and a great exercise for axel preparation. Many skaters 'freeze' in the air and never step up and down through the jump. Starting this early with waltz jumps really gets past that block.

I've never thought of teaching it as a "lead with your left (ccw)" approach. I use that for spins, though, forcing the skaters to keep the right side (ccw) of their body back until they start the hook.

For jumps, I teach "ride the circle" and "get/stay over your landing side."

TreSk8sAZ
07-20-2007, 10:44 AM
I was taught that this is called the "Cabriolet Waltz Jump," but I don't know where that name came from or what it means.

It comes from ballet, in which a Cabriolet is a jump (in any direction) in which you jump up, "click" your ankles, and land.

Laura H
07-20-2007, 10:45 AM
These are great . . . thanks!!! I really want to get the waltz jump solid this summer if I can . . . I've been working hard on sinking into the knee and swinging though with the free leg instead of just doing the little "hop" but something's definitely missing with the TOP half of my body, cause it's not wanting to go along with the ride!! ;)

Isk8NYC
07-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Think of this for the upper body:
Before - arms/hands back behind your hips on the FO entry edge.
Chin over your knee, one shoulder on each side of your skating foot - what you're calling 'square.'
During - arms/hands come forward AT THE SAME TIME as your free leg.
They curve around to HUG a big pole in front of your chest during the jump as you follow the free leg up into the air.
After - check the landing by keeping your skating arm behind and up, free arm in front and across your chest.

I think the hardest part is the timing. Many people can bring their free leg through without the arms, leaving you to 'hop' to the other foot. You have to get them in sync so you leave the ice with your arms in front at takeoff.

Some coaches teach it without the arms or only at the sides, but I don't think it gives the students any 'lift' and I want them to get used to using their arms - they're gonna need them sooner rather than later.

ETA: Pick a target to look at BEFORE and AFTER the jump. This keeps your head/eyes up and moving forward/backward.
For groups, I use the flag at one end of the arena and the snackbar at the other.

Laura H
07-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Think of this for the upper body:
Before - arms/hands back behind your hips on the FO entry edge.
Chin over your knee, one shoulder on each side of your skating foot - what you're calling 'square.'
During - arms/hands come forward AT THE SAME TIME as your free leg.

OK . . just had to report back that this tip TOTALLY worked for me . . . straightened me right out . . . thank you thank you!!! :bow:

Isk8NYC
07-23-2007, 08:35 AM
YAYAY! If only I could reopen your local rink magically.

BTW, one of the coaches at my home rink told my own DD's that it's wrong and they shouldn't do it that way.
Ignore her - she's a moron that, hopefully, will stop teaching once she graduates from college and gets a full-time job. *crosses fingers*

CONGRATULATIONS!

doubletoe
07-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Something that made my waltz jump a 100% better was when a former coach showed me the 4 separate positions in the air. Do the jump on a line that goes across the width of the rink, and think of taking off facing 12:00 and landing facing 6:00. Focusing on these 4 separate positions will keep you from swinging the right leg around and losing control over the jump.

1. Right after takeoff: Right leg extended in front, left leg in back, torso facing direction of travel. Arms are like this ( ) in front of you, at shoulder level.

2. Top of jump: Rotate torso 1/4 turn to the left so your shoulders and hips are squared and your entire body is facing 9:00 (you should see the end of the rink if you are doing the jump across the width of the rink). Legs stay exactly where they are but knees will automatically rotate to face 9:00.

3. Before landing: Rotate torso another 1/4 turn to the left so you are facing 6:00 (the direction you came from). Again, legs stay exactly where they were, but because your torso turned, your left leg is now "in front".

4. As you land: Scissor the left leg straight back so that it is behind the right leg as you land.

Two more pointers: Rely the power of your takeoff leg for lift rather than over-swinging your free leg, and point your toes both on takeoff and landing. Pointing on takeoff will give you great spring and height and pointing on landing will keep you from slipping off your blade.

bruingrl
07-26-2007, 03:40 AM
One of my coaches once gave me a really neat trick for waltz jumps, because I wasn't shifting my weight properly.

Hold one of your gloves in your left hand (if you skate CCW). When you jump, reach for the glove with your right hand. This sort of forces you to go over to your left side. This works best when you can already do the basic jump, but just need a little fix.