View Full Version : BI3s - does this sound right?

double3s
07-18-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm having a heck of a time with these. I got a tip from another adult today - she says you have to think of digging your heel into the ice and then rotating the toes up and all the way around. Does that sound right? I'm a little scared to try this - I can see myself going right over backwards!

Bill_S
07-18-2007, 09:38 PM
As long as you just *think* about digging heels in, it might help. Maybe thinking about the heel helps with the slight rearward weight shift at the moment of the turn.

Digging heels into the ice is absolutely the wrong technique though. You probably know that already.

What helped me control a BI3 was to think about the FO edge to come. I tried to feel the bite of the FO edge before the turn, and that helped me gain control of the arc afterwards.

dbny
07-18-2007, 10:11 PM
I tried to feel the bite of the FO edge before the turn, and that helped me gain control of the arc afterwards.

Whereas doing that sent me splatting like a ton of bricks on my hip as I caught the edge on the turn.

mikawendy
07-18-2007, 10:19 PM
What helped me control a BI3 was to think about the FO edge to come. I tried to feel the bite of the FO edge before the turn, and that helped me gain control of the arc afterwards.

That's exactly what it feels like to me on my "good" side! Now, my other side is totally remedial. I try to make myself practice my bad side as much as my good, but sometimes I have to go back to the good side to feel what I'm doing, then try to mimic it on my bad side. Not that either side is truly GOOD yet! :lol:

teresa
07-18-2007, 10:21 PM
I think about riding the edge. I have the most success when I hold the edge and not hurry things up.

teresa

tidesong
07-19-2007, 01:33 AM
I think about keeping my other shoulder up so that my cg is free to move... and I have no idea if that is right or not but otherwise I get stuck.

techskater
07-19-2007, 08:21 AM
A friend of mine described it as looking over the rail of a ship

Mrs Redboots
07-19-2007, 09:11 AM
I know what you mean, double3s - it's almost like doing wheelies! At least, it looks like that when they demonstrate. I find it very hard to get my weight far enough back on the blade to do them, but it's beginning not to be impossible.

You'll find it easier to do them as a double 3 first off - do a FO or FI 3 and then the following BI or BO3, so that you turn 360, and then gradually try to check the first 3 so that you are holding the edge before you turn. This is what is working for me.

Jeanne D
07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm having a heck of a time with these. I got a tip from another adult today - she says you have to think of digging your heel into the ice and then rotating the toes up and all the way around. Does that sound right? I'm a little scared to try this - I can see myself going right over backwards!

The rail of the ship or edge of a cliff sounds right. I've heard that before.

The thing about BI3s, the upper body does not want to cooperate at first. That's what I've learned. The lower body is doing just fine and the upper body says, no thanks, I'll wait back here!

That never works. Everything needs to be lined up. Posture is so key with BI3s as well as a strong core.

Lately I've been sinking into the edge right before it turns. It feels like I have more control that way.

Good luck!

Jeanne D
07-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Whereas doing that sent me splatting like a ton of bricks on my hip as I caught the edge on the turn.

Oh..is that what happens when you wipe out on these? I've experienced the roller coaster ride with the BO3s, but have yet to wipe out on a BI3.

Jeanne D
07-19-2007, 10:48 AM

Thinking about this off ice, I press into the area right in front of the heel. About 1/2 inch up. I don't heel it.

chowskates
07-19-2007, 11:40 AM

Actually I think of only the part about the toes up and around, not anything with the heel... as others have said, digging the heel in can be dangerous!

Also, if you are doing it from a cross, try keeping the free leg crossed under, then bring it out to the side quickly when you turn.

doubletoe
07-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Maybe think of pressing the inside ankle down toward the ice, rather than the heel.