View Full Version : barrel roll vs mohawk

icetrix
07-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Feel stupid for asking but.. I'm learning a new (beginner ;) )step sequence and can't get my head round this: what is the difference between a barrel roll and a mohawk followed by a cross? I seem to be doing the same edgework, which surely can't be right?

Skittl1321
07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
For whomever answers this question- can you describe what a barrel roll is, rather than just the difference between it and the mohawk? I've never heard the term and it has piqued my interest.

kander
07-17-2007, 03:32 PM
A barrel roll is sort of like a traveling two foot spin in a squat position.

mintypoppet
07-17-2007, 03:51 PM
For me, a barrel roll is a forward outside mohawk followed by a cross and then a step to forward. I was taught to do them around a hockey goal to stay on the correct edges.

So CCW, it would be:
LFO->RBO mohawk
cross onto LBI
step forward onto RFI

Can't help with the definition though, sorry. I guess a mohawk followed by a cross might be an inside mohawk? Or perhaps a barrel roll without a step to forward?

icetrix
07-17-2007, 04:06 PM
For me, a barrel roll is a forward outside mohawk followed by a cross and then a step to forward. I was taught to do them around a hockey goal to stay on the correct edges.

So CCW, it would be:
LFO->RBO mohawk
cross onto LBI
step forward onto RFI

Thanks mintypoppet, this is exactly how I was taught to do a barrel roll as well, at least I'm getting the footwork right! So is it then just a shorter way of saying 'mohawk+cross+step forward'?

kander
07-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks mintypoppet, this is exactly how I was taught to do a barrel roll as well, at least I'm getting the footwork right! So is it then just a shorter way of saying 'mohawk+cross+step forward'?

Is that a British definition? A barrel roll is definetly a (weird looking) two foot move

techskater
07-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Deep down in the knees, right kander?

The mohawk cross-step forward has been described as the "drunken sailor"

Clarice
07-17-2007, 05:22 PM
A barrel roll is sort of like a traveling two foot spin in a squat position.

A former coach of my daughter used to do this move, and he always called it a traveling sit spin. What he called a barrel roll was the footwork thing everybody else is describing.

NoVa Sk8r
07-17-2007, 05:54 PM
I think they are also known as piston turns.

Scott Williams used to do them all the time.
As did Holly Cook; watch here around the 1:45 mark:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=p9vOwgre7CA

kander
07-17-2007, 06:06 PM

Yes, that's it. I've never heard it called a piston turn, although I can see why it would be.

Morgail
07-17-2007, 06:21 PM
So CCW, it would be:
LFO->RBO mohawk
cross onto LBI
step forward onto RFI

This sounds just like the 8-step Mohawk, minus the slide chasse.

liz_on_ice
07-17-2007, 06:56 PM

that is such a cool program!

NoVa Sk8r
07-17-2007, 10:22 PM
that is such a cool program!The music is "Another Cha Cha" by Santa Esmeralda, a fast, funky tune!

Yes, that's it. I've never heard it called a piston turn, although I can see why it would be.I think piston turn (and/or piston roll) is the Canadian or British term.

flo
07-18-2007, 07:17 AM
I do a string of outside mohawks cross in front to outside and go backwards in a line. It can get going pretty fast. Don't know if it's called anything.