View Full Version : What do you think?

teresa
07-13-2007, 05:21 PM
I heard today that a coach always knows before the skater when a skater has peaked. (She wasn't talking about me.) I agree 99.9% of the time, however sometimes a coach can be wrong I think. My old coach said adult skaters can't learn "harder" skills and wouldn't even bother to let me try. He really believed his ideas were true. His attitude depressed me because I felt I was always fighting his ideas and mine. I work with someone else now and have learned some "harder" skills. Granted I need to do things much better, etc., but I have learned. If I had listened to him I wouldn't have even tried. My gut said I could do more and he was wrong. What are your experiences? When did you know you had peaked? You or your coach? Do you want your coach to tell you? I think I'll know. Skating is all about the challenge to me and if I can't be challenged and get some sucesses I think it will stop being fun. It's a scary thought either way! Really, what do you think?!

teresa

dbny
07-13-2007, 05:55 PM
I think a coach who closes the door on a student also closes the door on his/her own income :twisted:. Really, it's pretty stupid, IMO from the standpoint of both a coach and a student, to ever say that a skater cannot learn more. However, I also believe that there are some very real limits due to age, but those limits vary with the individual, and I think it's up to the individual to decide what they are, if any. I'm 60 and don't jump because my knees and hips can't take it. I doubt that I will ever get so far as passing Juv MIF, which I thought was a realistic goal about four years ago. Don't know if I'll ever dance either, another aim unfulfilled so far. That doesn't mean I would stop trying to get there, and I would sure as h#ll drop any coach who discouraged me.

LilJen
07-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Did you see the other thread about a 36-year-old who'd just passed her senior moves? At our rink we have a 48-year-old who passed her intermediate moves and is working on novice moves. Did you see the video on the 72-year-old woman who skated at Adult Nationals (jumps, spins, the works)? Yeah, our bodies limit us, and I find I have to pay attention to what my body is saying much more than when I was in my teens and twenties, but I can't stand to stagnate or have nothing new to work on/master, so I plan on continuing to learn, learn, learn and hopefully make progress.

I'm glad you found a new coach--sounds like the old one was the wrong fit for you.

Skittl1321
07-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Did you see the other thread about a 36-year-old who'd just passed her senior moves? At our rink we have a 48-year-old who passed her intermediate moves and is working on novice moves. Did you see the video on the 72-year-old woman who skated at Adult Nationals (jumps, spins, the works)? Yeah, our bodies limit us, and I find I have to pay attention to what my body is saying much more than when I was in my teens and twenties, but I can't stand to stagnate or have nothing new to work on/master, so I plan on continuing to learn, learn, learn and hopefully make progress.

I'm glad you found a new coach--sounds like the old one was the wrong fit for you.

My coach is 50 and is about to test ISI Freestyle 10 at World's. Age is not a factor- although some things that come with age can be!

(My coach has the opposite approach of the OP. He doesn't understand why I'm not willing to try things that I know are currently beyond my bodies capabilities. Like spread eagles- I have very close hips- so he tells me I can turn at the knees to help cheat if I want. But I know this is a modification that can cause a lot of damage, so I won't do it. He told me that if I'm willing to let my body dictate the moves I'm willing to try I'll eventually hit a ceiling, so I shouldn't let it. But I'm willing to hit that ceiling rather than suffer later. But at least he has the attitude that I SHOULD be able to try anything I want)

Rusty Blades
07-13-2007, 06:54 PM
I never thought I would skate again after a wreck in 1969 that screwed up my knees for over 15 years. In January 2006, at the age of 56, I started skating again and the knees have been fine. I thought I would never be able to compete - in March of this year I skated at the Canadian Adult Championships at the age of 57. I never thought I would ever be able to jump again - I'm too old and too fat; last week I did a Toe Loop. Next spring I intend to be back at Nationals with both an Interpretive and a Bronze Freeskate. I had to change coaches, to find someone who supported me in my goals and believed in me, someone to give me encouragement and support, but I found someone and I have no intentions of backing off until I find something my body can NOT be trained to do and there's no sign of that yet!

coskater64
07-13-2007, 07:20 PM
It depends on your attitude, if you think you can and you mastered the skills to do something there is no reason to stop trying. I am still relearning everything after almost a year...I will be better than before and I will continue to grow, even after the second surgery. Some coaches want to make sure you aren't overly --- let's say reckless, or believe that something you are doing wrong is right. You should have a long talk with your coach and set goals and remember that learning is a sprial you build upon past skills of a variety of different natures. Just mho....:halo:

doubletoe
07-13-2007, 07:35 PM
It's sad that some coaches are so limited in their view of skating. Who did this coach think you were going to be competing against, 18-year old Olympic medalists?

While it's true that it becomes more difficult to learn new skills with age, it doesn't make them impossible. And while multi-revolutional jumps may become more elusive, spins, footwork, and other non-jumping elements are still quite physically achievable. I am so glad my coach realizes this!

teresa
07-13-2007, 11:52 PM
I must clarify I think. My current coach has a great attitude and she's never told me I can't try things. What she teaches me is always what I've shown her I can learn. Some days more than others. =- / Much of what I've learned is due to her treating me like I can. My old coach is/was a great person but what he thought as a coach was wrong for me. My biggest question is how you, as a skater, will know you've peaked. Will you know? And, how will you deal with this? Everyone peaks somewhere, we all hope it is FAR in our future. I appreciate all the cool responses!

doubletoe,

Oylmpic skater, ha. =-) I'm sure he didn't! I truly think he thought adults couldn't learn "harder" skills. I hope I've showed him a different possibility and a new way of thinking.

teresa

jskater49
07-14-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm too old to peak. Meaning, I'll probably die before there's something I still can't learn to do in skating. But that just means I'm old and I have a lot to learn. ;)

I'm not sure I believe in the idea of peaking - if you mean there may be a time when you were as good as you'll ever be--yea that was probably when I was 18. Will I ever be able to do doubles? Nope. But does there ever come a time you can't learn something new and improve? I don't believe it.

j

jazzpants
07-14-2007, 01:23 AM
I am probably the oldest student that my secondary coach have... also the only student that IS older than her for that matter... :lol:

She is a realist in acknowledging that axels and doubles are probably gonna be elusive for me. But needless to say, if she's telling me to start trying for off-ice axels, you better believe that she's thinking that axels and doubles are in my future!!! :D (Besides that, she's seen enough adults older than me landing those first time axels and doubles, so...)

Your old coach is your "old coach" for a reason... ;)

Raye
07-14-2007, 03:44 AM
My biggest question is how you, as a skater, will know you've peaked. Will you know? And, how will you deal with this? Everyone peaks somewhere, we all hope it is FAR in our future. I appreciate all the cool responses!
teresa

Teresa, I think I know what you might be getting at. I also take ballet classes as well as skating, and one day, five years ago, I just knew I was taking off my pointe shoes for the last time... I sometimes get them out and enjoy a moment of nostalgia now and then, but I will never dance in them again. HOWEVER - I still go to class. Understanding my limitations has allowed me to be able to not give it up completely. And one day I may have to give up the jumps and spins - hopefully not before I'm 80 - but at whatever age my body decides enough is enough, until then I am going to enjoy skating, keep working towards improving and adding new skills, and I am going to keep going to competitions.

Rusty Blades
07-14-2007, 06:41 AM
My biggest question is how you, as a skater, will know you've peaked. Will you know? And, how will you deal with this?

I think figure skating is unlike some more "simple" sports. Skating involves a LOT of different actions (unlike, say, weight lifting) so even though advanced jumps may one day not be possible, there are still many other things a person can improve in. There is no reason a 90 year old can not skate a beautiful program though they may forgo the double jump combinations ;) On pure athleticism I agree with JS that most skaters "peak" in their mid to late teens - but does it really matter that you will probably never do a triple at age 60?

As to "how will you deal with this?", I have already dealt. I knew when I started again at age 56 that my physical peak was long past and I'll never rack up points like a 20 year old. But my goal is not points but to skate a beautiful program and I have more freedom to concentrate on the artistry now than a young competitive skater who is shooting for the podium.

Mrs Redboots
07-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Coach1 says I'll never pass my Level 4 compulsory dance tests. I disagree, and although I do agree I wouldn't pass them if I tested them this week, I do get steadily better and think one day I'll do it. Husband, who would pass if he tested next week (the so-and-so!) is determined to land his axel before he's 60, and coach2 doesn't see why not....

samba
07-14-2007, 10:43 AM
My coach has no limits for me, why would she? at my age of 58 she has seen me through pairs and free skating competitions with a good amount of sucess in both, never say never.

Mrs Redboots, You will get level 4, your determination always inspires me. Mr Redboots will most certainly get his axel, he is fearless and a good skater, I cant wait to see him achieve it.

Skate@Delaware
07-14-2007, 01:09 PM
My coach has pushed me hard and beyond my "comfort zone" more times than I can recall!!! She realizes that I'm in my 40's, but I'm willing. That says a lot. We work on skills that can be built on for harder tasks.

I used to be her oldest student....but she coaches my husband and he is 58! He has not been skating as long as I have but he still goes at it.

techskater
07-14-2007, 02:06 PM
You'll just know when it's time to give up certain elements. There are some people who were doing Axels up to the time they were 78/9 but gave them up at 80 because they just knew it was time to give it up.

teresa
07-14-2007, 11:46 PM
I like your answers. =-) And yes Raye, you understood. =-) I also agree that the best skater I could have been was when I was a teen. The fact I didn't skate then could have been a problem! I started as an adult and I have to try from where I'm at. I understand that my physical ability to work on axels and doubles is limited, but now my body can and I'm determined to try. Like you, I hope that I always have challenges in skating and have fun. I guess I see a peak to my physical limits, especially jumps, but I see moves as an obtainable area to grow even as a get older.

teresa

sceptique
07-15-2007, 05:31 AM
No, you won't know when you've peaked... the hospitals usually notify the relatives when it happens. But before it happens, there's always hope...

teresa
07-16-2007, 11:10 PM
cute. =-)

teresa

blackmanskating
07-17-2007, 04:47 PM
I heard today that a coach always knows before the skater when a skater has peaked. (She wasn't talking about me.) I agree 99.9% of the time, however sometimes a coach can be wrong I think. My old coach said adult skaters can't learn "harder" skills and wouldn't even bother to let me try. He really believed his ideas were true. His attitude depressed me because I felt I was always fighting his ideas and mine. I work with someone else now and have learned some "harder" skills. Granted I need to do things much better, etc., but I have learned. If I had listened to him I wouldn't have even tried. My gut said I could do more and he was wrong. What are your experiences? When did you know you had peaked? You or your coach? Do you want your coach to tell you? I think I'll know. Skating is all about the challenge to me and if I can't be challenged and get some sucesses I think it will stop being fun. It's a scary thought either way! Really, what do you think?!

teresa

My experiences are very similar. Everyone thinks that if you haven't been skating since age 5 that you can't possibly do anything technically advanced. I look at that as a challenge and make them eat their words!!! I'm glad you got a new coach. Get a coach that believes in your potential more than you do. If they don't, then fire them!!!

miraclegro
07-17-2007, 08:08 PM
I "peak" the day i die, because i will be moving on to the best there is.

But for now, as i am on this earth, i will die TRYING. I will never do triples, but i sure as heck will be working on doubles until my body tells me NO.

I have two coaches, no, make that 3, and the top one i use when i can get the drive in, will push me, but also has a high respect for safety regarding my age. I'm 46, not 16, not 26, but 46. So, he will push me, but he realizes as well as i do, that i have to drive the 2 hour drive home, and be able to work the next day.

So i have never heard the word "peak." I have worked with some coaches in the past who seem to want to have less respect for adult skaters, and i have finally realized, i am paying my coach to inspire me, not hinder me.

I also teach on the side, and i get really frustrated (and mad) at the coaches who favor the ones who learn faster. Each person deserves to be coached right where they are at at the level they learn. Each person learns differently, and i cheer for each small success. That is why i love to coach and it is a shame for the others who view otherwise.

doubletoe
07-17-2007, 08:10 PM
I must clarify I think. My current coach has a great attitude and she's never told me I can't try things. What she teaches me is always what I've shown her I can learn. Some days more than others. =- / Much of what I've learned is due to her treating me like I can. My old coach is/was a great person but what he thought as a coach was wrong for me. My biggest question is how you, as a skater, will know you've peaked. Will you know? And, how will you deal with this? Everyone peaks somewhere, we all hope it is FAR in our future. I appreciate all the cool responses!

doubletoe,

Oylmpic skater, ha. =-) I'm sure he didn't! I truly think he thought adults couldn't learn "harder" skills. I hope I've showed him a different possibility and a new way of thinking.

teresa

Good for you!! Also, I would like to add that--especially with the advent of the new judging system--it is not all about the jumps. Even if you feel like you can't or don't want to master any more new jumps, you can continue to develop more difficult spins, spirals, footwork, etc. etc. that will give you a program with higher points (and probably a higher presentation or PCS mark) than many of the skaters who are landing more difficult jumps. And so far, I can't see any particular age limit to mastering those new skills. Sure, if your knees (or other crucial body parts) start giving out on you, you will have to cut back on your skating, but that can happen at age 25 or 85.

tidesong
07-17-2007, 09:51 PM
I believe that skating is alot more mental than it is physical, and hence it is alot more likely that we can push ourselves further than most people expect of us with the right knowledge and attitude.

I'm just going to keep trying for more in my skating barring injuries of course, but I am not going to listen to anyone if they are going to tell me that I have peaked and won't get another new jump/spin/move just because.