View Full Version : Harris Tango or Rocker?

*JennaD*
07-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey guys

So I failed my American for the third time! yay for me..:frus:

Anyway I am re-testing it in August...and I would like to test 2 dances during that test session.

So my question is, which one is easier, Harris Tango or the Rocker? I already know Harris but have not done too much work on it. The test session is the second week of August so I have about a month.

daisies
07-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Sorry about your American. You'll get it next time!

IMO, the Rocker is easier. The only part that was challenging to me on that dance was the outside mohawk in the corner, and only when I was partnering. I always felt "stuck," but my coach made an adjustment for me that helped.

The Tango is only harder in that there are more steps and also it requires that Tango "character," which to me was harder than a Foxtrot.

Good luck!

jskater49
07-13-2007, 07:10 PM
DD is working on these dances and so I asked her. If it makes you feel any better, she's been working on the American for a few months and just learned the Rocker and feels like she will be ready to test the Rocker before the waltz. She passed the tango but she learned it way back in December because it was the only dance at that level at a competition in Jan. She likes foxtrots so that's her answer but she said to ask you what kind dances you like - are you a foxtrot or tango person?

j

coskater64
07-13-2007, 07:15 PM
I love the rocker but I also like the Harris, it's a hard call between the two they are very different but I get to compete both of them at Peach this August. I just like doing them, they are a challenge but both fun! The Harris is more fun with a partner...I think.8O

2loop2loop
07-13-2007, 08:32 PM
The Harris is more fun with a partner...I think.8O

You say the sweetest things :lol:

phoenix
07-13-2007, 08:40 PM
I had a much harder time w/ the Rocker.

The tango requires crispness & really good control (core muscles). And as others have mentioned, the tight tango attitude. You're not flying down the ice in this tango. The partnering is more complicated than in the Rocker.

The Rocker requires quite a bit of power, knee bend & strength. You have to really *push* to fill out the pattern. You defintely need to be flying down the ice for the Rocker! The partnering is more simple than the Tango.

I'd say play to your unique strengths, to decide which one might be easier for you.

JulieN
07-14-2007, 12:46 AM
I had a much harder time w/ the Rocker. Me too! I got the American and Tango on the first try, but it was 6 tries to get the Rocker. Foxtrots just aren't my thing. All in all I've failed 9 foxtrots! I'm so glad to be done with foxtrots!

Mrs Redboots
07-14-2007, 10:28 AM
The Harris is more fun with a partner...I think.8O
Is it actually possible without one????

CanadianAdult
07-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I can't do the Harris at all but I can do the Rocker in a halfarsed way. The mohawk is an easy one for me, but I have to push off the man to get the rocker so can't do it solo but I suppose I could practice. I can't do tangos at all, I'm not a crisp skater I'm a waltzer.

*JennaD*
07-14-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure if I'm more of a foxtrot or tango person! I think I'm going to ask my coach which I should do...he will most likely say the tango...or so I think!

I'm not much of a crisp skater...but I'm not a waltz person either, seeing as I've failed this particular waltz 3 times! haha so I guess I don't really know which I am better at...

Although I'm not the most powerful skater in the world...so maybe I will haev a hard time with Rocker inthat sense...:roll: this is complicated!! lol

*JennaD*
07-14-2007, 10:59 AM
I know for tangos, you have to be very crisp and sharp, but what exactly is the character for a foxtrot?

dooobedooo
07-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Are you doing it partnered?

If solo, how is your RFI3 at the end of the Tango?

phoenix
07-14-2007, 02:15 PM
I know for tangos, you have to be very crisp and sharp, but what exactly is the character for a foxtrot?

Light & liltly, effortless & flowy. Should be a very happy looking dance, almost playful if you see it done on the ballroom floor.

*JennaD*
07-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Are you doing it partnered?

If solo, how is your RFI3 at the end of the Tango?

Partnered...thankfully because my RFI3 is not so great !

icedancer2
07-14-2007, 04:17 PM
I took the Rocker after practicing it for 5 weeks and flunked it the first time (my coach was moving to Hawaii and we wanted to get some tests in before he left). After that it took a year to get it ready with a new (and improved!) coach.

I liked the Tango better - definitely a good dance for me, but the partnering is more difficult.

So whichever you do sounds good. What is the problem with the American?

*JennaD*
07-14-2007, 04:36 PM
I took the Rocker after practicing it for 5 weeks and flunked it the first time (my coach was moving to Hawaii and we wanted to get some tests in before he left). After that it took a year to get it ready with a new (and improved!) coach.

I liked the Tango better - definitely a good dance for me, but the partnering is more difficult.

So whichever you do sounds good. What is the problem with the American?

The first time I tested it, I hadnt skated in a few weeks...so I was shaky...lol the second time, I had to skate with a partner who I have never skated before...and the judges handwriting was not legible so I have no clue...and the third time, I was apparently whipping my 3-turns which affected unison, etc. according to the judge:frus: :frus:

phoenix
07-14-2007, 05:41 PM
The American is deceptively difficult. It took me the most tries of any of my silvers.

litigator
07-14-2007, 06:19 PM
in ballroom standard our daughter's instructors say a good foxtrot is harder than any other of the standard dances because of the tendancy of dancers to make it look more like a cross between a waltz and a quickstep (of course, then there is the slow foxtrot versus the vienese)..which can happen from moving to quickly while not have enough power in the knee bend, and the tendancy to push the heel down onto the floor instead of the ball of the foot which you would do in the foxtrot....lol

a waltz, on the other hand, for some people is harder because of the need to turn turnually keeping a constant gentle knee bend with posture remaining the same and basket weaves [also called the hockey sticks)

ballroom coach says, if you are a foxtrotter...you are probably also good at quickstep and reasonably good at the waltz.

if you are a tango'er, you are good at paso doble.

however, there are also people who are better at the latins (ie samba comes to mind) then standard...and as you move up the dances ,your turn is coming.

coskater64
07-14-2007, 11:25 PM
When I competed the harris just 4 months out of surgery that rfi3 was incredibly painful, it's much better know. I usually do it solo...only ocassionally can I find a partner... sigh:halo:

*JennaD*
07-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Ya that RFI3 is not my best step...but I am able to do it reasonably well with my partner! I've failed the tango once before, but that was because I hadn't skated in 2 weeks and had no warm up before my test! :frus: And the only reason I failed was because I didn't have enough "tango character" lol

Anyway I'm planning on speaking to my coach abuot this in the next few days...I'll let you guys know which one he thinks I should do!

SynchroSk8r114
07-15-2007, 03:50 PM
ballroom coach says, if you are a foxtrotter...you are probably also good at quickstep and reasonably good at the waltz.

if you are a tango'er, you are good at paso doble.

Interesting. I've found (and have been told) that I was strong with Foxtrots and Tangos. Since moving onto my Pre-Gold dances, I've had an easy time with the Killian (not sure what that relates to!), the Paso because I had an awesome Tango, and the Starlight (despite hating the American and passing on my second try).

CanAmSk8ter
07-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Is it actually possible without one????

In the US, unless you're testing as an adult, you have to do it solo. So yes, it is possible. ;)

To the OP, I've got you beat- I failed the American four times. Actually, I think it was five. I failed the Rocker several times too, but I did eventually pass it. Tango I got on the second try, and with very good comments. I think you're smart to go on to the other dances for awhile- if I had any Silvers left I'd have done the same!

*JennaD*
07-16-2007, 07:47 PM
In the US, unless you're testing as an adult, you have to do it solo. So yes, it is possible. ;)

To the OP, I've got you beat- I failed the American four times. Actually, I think it was five. I failed the Rocker several times too, but I did eventually pass it. Tango I got on the second try, and with very good comments. I think you're smart to go on to the other dances for awhile- if I had any Silvers left I'd have done the same!

haha nice... lol I bet I have just enough skill to beat you with my awesome failing skills...:) Hm..I wonder if I can pass on my 4th try..although somehow I feel like it will take me about 5 so it could be a tie:giveup:

I found out that the reason I failed was because I was doing my 3 turns on beat 3 not 4...although I don't entirely believe taht because if I can say I'm good at one thing, its timing! But I heard that through another coach...I'm going to see my normal coach tomorrow so hopefully I will hear it from the source...

phoenix
07-16-2007, 09:10 PM
The timing on this dance can be very deceptive, & what you're sure you're doing, and what you're actually doing can be 2 different things! However, if the judges didn't mention it then I'd question that. Didn't you say that they did comment on whipping the 3 turns? That alone would definitely lock you in for a retry.

Mrs Redboots
07-17-2007, 06:56 AM
I think the American is one of those dances that it's very easy to do badly. I don't dance it yet, but Husband does, and I can't tell you how awful he sometimes looks doing it! Not always, to be fair.....

JennaD, I'm sure you will be at passing standard next time!

skatersmama
07-17-2007, 09:47 AM
don't forget that the Judges can ask you to solo the dance(here in Canada) if they think your partner is helping you out to much. DD passed the Harris on first try, but had to solo after testing with partner(same test session), rocker took her 2 tries so make sure the "rocker" is really done well.