View Full Version : bad posture and lower back pain

kimberley801
07-13-2007, 12:21 AM
I skated last week and had my husband take pics/videos. I realized my posture is terrible - shoulders slouched, bum sticking out (think: lordosis). Pretty much my typical terrible off-ice posture. This is resulting in a bit of lower back pain. Nothing major, just an annoyance. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve posture and core muscles?

tidesong
07-13-2007, 01:19 AM
Taking ballet has helped me tremendously on posture. Its worth every single cent that I put into it.
If that is really not an option for you at all, a close alternative would be getting someone you trust that has some form of knowledge in that area to help get you into a good posture (because for years I have read all these stuff online but didnt really *get* what it means to stand straight until my ballet teachers showed me precisely and explained it with demonstrations) and you hopefully can remember it and practise at home.

Mrs Redboots
07-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Pilates is good, if you can get a class. If not, exercises at home - lots of tummy exercises.

Get your coach to give you on-ice exercises to improve your posture. I have very round shoulders, which are not improving with age (osteoporosis? Probably, but I don't want to know!), but that doesn't mean I have to stick my bum out or skate on straight knees. I am focussing on exercises to help me keep my hips forwards at all times. Back cross-rolls are super-good for this, as are waltz 3s (you have to keep your weight right back on your skates or you scritch dreadfully as you step to forwards).

dbny
07-13-2007, 11:48 AM
If you have a full length mirror at home, stand in front of it in proper posture. Make a note of what the feels like and go from your usual bad posture to the proper posture in front of the mirror to get that feeling also. When you are on the ice, remember your experience in front of the mirror and go for the same feelings.

double3s
07-13-2007, 11:32 PM
As others have said, you need to strengthen your back and abs. Pilates is a great way to do this. But for immediate relief, if you have a bit of a tummy, as most of us adults do, try wearing compression shorts or tights under your clothes, with the waist band pulled up as high as it will go - up to your bra if possible. This will help your lower back and it will also remind you to stand up straight.