View Full Version : Last minute advice needed :) Test tomorrow ahh

*JennaD*
07-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Hey everyone!

So I need some last minute advice!

I'm testing my American Waltz tomorrow and my coach said it was solid so I'm pretty happy!

BUT theres a slight problem...I only had half my lesson today because he was feeling super sick and he could have apendicitis (sry for spelling lol)!!! SOooo its possible that I will not be doing my dance with him...I oculd end up with another partner who I've never danced with in my life!!

last time I tested American, I failed because my normal coach was late and so I ended up with another random coach...and yeah tht didn't go so well! And I reallllly don't want to fail!

haha so does anyone have any advice/experience wtih this on how to dance with a random partner that you've never danced with before and still pass?

SynchroSk8r114
07-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Unfortunately, I've never experienced a last-minute partner change, but there's a few things that every couple can do to make the partnering look natural and your pattern/tracking correct for the American...

First, every three-turn you do should be skated to the inside of the man. Stay on the outside and your asking for trouble (whippy turns, ugly free leg and hip position, etc.). Skating on his inside will also prevent you from blocking his three-turns, which can make the dance really hard and cause it to look unnatural.

Secondly, always skate into your partner. This is similar to how the three-turns are done. Don't try and go around or to the side of the man. Let him lead and follow through.

Third, keep yourself close to your partner, especially your hips. This dance should be partnered very close with your bodies almost making a 'V' shape (your hips are pushed together, but your upper bodies are arched with your heads up looking at one another).

Also, when you do your three-turn, your free leg should always follow the man's extended free leg. This can be achieved by staying close together and keeping your hips side-by-side and skating into one another - you on his inside.

Above all, relax and smile! Yes, it can be scary to have such a change thrown at you at the last minute, but life is full of unexpected things, so sometimes the only thing you can do is work with it. I'll never forget testing my Senior MIF on Friday the 13, 2005 sick as a dog...and passing! I just went for it because at that point, what else did I have to lose? Just try and remember that your regular coach would not have put it out to test if he didn't think you can pass this dance. :D

Still, I feel for you. The American can be a pain in the butt, but try working on what I suggested and you should be fine. Also throw in some lean while partnering by using your head a little and it'll really help you with expression. Good luck with your dance, and I hope everything works out with your regular coach. Keep us all posted on how it went! ;)