View Full Version : When do I join a figure skating club?

kimberley801
07-12-2007, 01:40 AM
I'm an adult skater (23) and am taking group lessons at the moment (USFSA Adult 2-3). I seem to be catching on quickly and am considering supplementing group lessons with private lessons so that I can advance further. There is a good sized skating club at the rink I go to, and I was curious if and when I should join? The annual fee is not an issue. I just want to be able to fit in. This club seems like it is mostly children/teens and Moms. I don't see many adult skaters at the rink at all. And freestyle sessions seem to be all kids. (I skate in public sessions, held at the same time on rink 2).

Anyone have any advice on new adult skaters and joining skating clubs??

littlerain
07-12-2007, 01:55 AM
I have read in different places (including here I think?) that it is only necessary to join a club once you've gotten to the freestyle levels and are interested in testing. I think its a great idea to take private lessons (and you don't have to join the club to do so, do you?). Also club ice or club discounts at the rink are nice benefits. Since the expense is no issue to you, it could be a positive experience to join especially if there are other adults or people around your age who are a part of the club. Also, see if your rink has a basic skills/lts club...

Either way, find out more about the club before you jump in and join it! You want to be sure that you're comfortable and treated well as a member.

Heh the thought of joining a club intimidates me! I'm working on alot of the same stuff you are and am hoping I can get back to FS 1-2 by next month (after 7 or 8 years off from skating!) I'm 20 and I'm definitely intimidated by all the young kids... esp this girl i've been seeing on the public sessions who must be about 6 years old who has a pretty good back sit spin! Lol. (I feel bad for her older sister who's definitely a level or two behind her!)

Skate@Delaware
07-12-2007, 04:58 AM
What would the benefits be? Would you be able to do stuff on freestyle club sessions that you can't do on publics? Is their ice offered at more convenient times? Is there ice less crowded (a consideration for patterns/routines)?

Second, ask your coach if he/she thinks you would benefit.

I am on of the few adults that skates on club ice and one of the first. I made friends of the younger ones so that wasn't an issue (although it was a tough first year as I was intimidated and lower level than you 8O ). It is beneficial over publics although our club ice tends to be more crowded at times.

jskater49
07-12-2007, 04:59 AM
Here's another perspective besides what a club can do for you....from someone who's been on two club boards.

USFSA clubs promote the sport of figure skating. Clubs set up competitions. Clubs run Learn to Skate (I know some rinks do too). Clubs arrange for testing. Even if you can skate without being part of a club...if all the clubs in the country shut down because everyone figured they could do without clubs, I think the sport would be hurt immensly. Joining a club and helping it out by volunteering is a way of giving back....even if you don't get a personal benefit right away.

If your club doesn't have a lot of adults- well you can be the first and get some influence of how to make the club more adult friendly. Nor do you need to be a particular level of skater.

j

Skate@Delaware
07-12-2007, 05:40 AM
Here's another perspective besides what a club can do for you....from someone who's been on two club boards.

USFSA clubs promote the sport of figure skating. Clubs set up competitions. Clubs run Learn to Skate (I know some rinks do too). Clubs arrange for testing. Even if you can skate without being part of a club...if all the clubs in the country shut down because everyone figured they could do without clubs, I think the sport would be hurt immensly. Joining a club and helping it out by volunteering is a way of giving back....even if you don't get a personal benefit right away.

If your club doesn't have a lot of adults- well you can be the first and get some influence of how to make the club more adult friendly. Nor do you need to be a particular level of skater.

j
My club must the the lone exception-it only offers good ice time. At a good price. We don't have test sessions (which sucks for us mostly). Most of the coaches are AVAILABLE during club ice although there are a few that come in during public daytime sessions.

All the LTS programs are run by the rink which is a separate entity. We only recently added an in-house basic skills comp which was run by the rink LTS program.

We are the club step-child of the country.

rant over

Skittl1321
07-12-2007, 07:39 AM
You can join a club as soon as you want to and you meet their minimum requirements. The minimum requirements for my local club is that you can pay :) They offer club only ice (which is generally used for kids playing- not freestyle ice) they also have discounts on public and freestyle sessions and 10% off group lessons.

The cost to join the club was more than the cost to join as an individual member of USFSA and I didn't need any of the club benefits (I barter for ice time by volunteering with the LTS program). Since the club is new they don't offer test sessions yet. My coach recommended I join as an individual member so I didn't have to worry about "permission" to test out of club. So this year I did that, and got a free rulebook :)

I don't compete yet- but I did volunteer to help Iowa Games this winter so I could see how a competition was run. It was fun volunteering, but I think it's also difficult for an adult who skates. The ice show I was in with my ISI coach required a parent to help 3 hours during the show or the skater would have a $100 fee. I told them I could help before the show if I wasn't needed on practice ice (I was) or after the show if I didn't have to do the public skate (which was required- another fine) but there was no way I could volunteer during the show- and of course my parents can't either. They live almost 2000 miles away! The board finally said I could participate- but they honestly seemed like they weren't sure if it was okay.

I just joined USFSA for the first time this month (I had only been a basic skills member/coach before) and I am Freestyle 2- preparing to take Adult PreBronze Moves. The reason I didn't join before was money.

If your club has an atmosphere you want to be a part of- by all means, jump in.

rlichtefeld
07-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Anyone have any advice on new adult skaters and joining skating clubs??

There are only 2 reasons that you HAVE to become a member of US Figure Skating - testing and competing. You can become a member by joining USFS directly or joining a member club.

To test Pre-Bronze MIF, you have to be a USFS member with testing privileges. To compete at most sanctioned events, you have to be a member of USFS.

However, there are LOTS of reasons to join one even before then. Most clubs offer Social or Associate membership categories, that are very cheap and gets you membership in USFS, but not testing or competing privileges.

Remember:
1) It is a "club" where the members enjoy figure skating. So, there will be other members in the club with similar interests.
2) You get to participate in the social activities: dinners, banquets, parties, etc.
3) You get Figure Skating magazine.
4) You get a nifty card to carry in your wallet or purse
5) You get the local club's newsletter and emails with information about skating.

Rob

GordonSk8erBoi
07-12-2007, 12:56 PM
When to join depends a lot on what your goals are and what the club provides. As others have said, if you are not testing or competing, you don't "have" to join. If the club has benefits you want (club ice, etc.) then you might join. Some clubs might be finicky about non-members watching test sessions (which you should definitely do before you test).

Despite the fact I've moved to the Northwest I'm still a member of my hometown club (Tucson FSC) for a couple of reasons -- 1) the club in Tucson really needs all the help it can get since their rink closed, 2) I feel a strong connection to the Tucson skaters, 3) the club at my current rink has club ice on Fridays that I wouldn't want to attend, plus half of the time it's Juv or Pre-Juv and above only and I couldn't skate it anyway.

Whether you join your local club or not you can make yourself a part of the community by volunteering for competititions etc. This also really helps to understand how competitions work.

Just my 2 cents.

sk8tegirl06
07-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I concur with the other posters, the only time to really join a club is when you are ready to test. That being said, I just joined the club that is closest to my university, not the one that is closest to my home.

The one I joined has a much larger adult/older skater population than the one at home. My old club from when I was younger doesn't actually exist anymore. My club from 6-7 years ago moved from an old rink to a brand new facility, changed names, a lot of coaches changed. I am skating there while I am home for the summer, but I really have no connections to the club there at all.

My coach actually is not on staff at this rink either. She is offically on staff at 1 rink, but travels to 2-3 other rinks.