View Full Version : 2007 Halloween Classic

TimDavidSkate
07-11-2007, 12:26 PM
IceWorks SC has developed a nice looking section for HC within their site ~ The application/information will be available soon it says :) (http://iceworkssc.org/)

Can't wait to compete and erase my poor skate from last year :halo:

hippo
07-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Here's the link to the Halloween Classic website:

http://www.helgayang.net/HalloweenClassic.aspx

Some interesting things to look at while you are waiting for the application:
- There is a place for you to sign up to be notified when things get posted.
- The committee is also looking for feedback regarding the competitors' party.

TimDavidSkate
07-12-2007, 04:18 PM
8-) awesome, thanks for the direct link

phillyskater
07-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Hey guys! I hope everyone is doing well. Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but of course I couldn't resist the temptation to add my two cents about the Halloween Classic. Yes, I'm the competition chair again this year, so I'd love to hear any feedback, suggestions, compliments etc. from those of you who competed in years past. What would you like to see different this year? (And no, I still have no control over the temperature in the rink :giveup: ...)

Okay...shameless plug here...we have a great new planning committee in place as you can see from the snazzy new website and the new, user-friendly application that will soon be posted. We are really excited about the competition this year, and are shooting for our biggest turnout yet. After all, we need to solidify our place as the second largest all-adult competition in the WORLD. So help us! Come to Philly! You won't regret it!

Okay, shameless plug notwithstanding, I'd love to hear your feedback. After all, the skaters are what its all about.

phillyskater

UDsk8coach
07-16-2007, 10:44 AM
I've never skated in Halloween Classic myself, but I have had students and friends compete. They seemed to have loved the experience, and especially the venue. It's easy to get to, and a wonderful facility. I look forward to possibly participating this year, nerves withstanding :)

flo
07-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Looking forward to it!

phillyskater
07-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Wow! No, comments, complaints, suggestions, recommendations, gripes, grievances or appeals. I guess everything was perfect last year! ;)

The application is in the final stages of approval and should be posted by the end of next week. Stay tuned!

philly

flutzilla1
07-17-2007, 01:02 PM
I haven't ever done this competition, but suggestion-wise and if it is big enough to warrant it, I would definitely use a hair and makeup person if one was available. The lady who was at Dallas AN in 2006 was a godsend for me! :)

Debbie S
07-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Wow! No, comments, complaints, suggestions, recommendations, gripes, grievances or appeals. Well, since you asked.....

I have done HC for the past 3 years (all of its existence) but I won't be returning this year. For one, I'm really focusing on MIF and testing, so I may not be competing all season. I also don't think I'll compete FS again, but I guess I should never say never. But I decided right after last year's comp that I would not return.

The reason(s)? Well.....as you said, Philly, the rink (and locker room) temp is a big deal. I know it's not something you can do anything about, but if I'm going to spend $80 (and that's just for the first event) to enter a comp, plus drive an hour and a half, I'd like to not freeze to death just about everywhere in the building (including the snack bar area, which isn't exactly in the rink area - I would think the windows would be better insulated). And then there's the harder-than-normal ice (well, at least to me it is). Plus, I thought the practice sessions were not particularly conducive to good skating, or even steady breathing. Some people were extremely aggressive (ex: 1 skater skating around behind me, fast, several times as I tried to do a loop jump in the general pattern of my program, forcing me to abort at the last minute, also one skater practicing the 8-step in the middle of a swarm of people - and this was Sunday, when there were no MIF events) and it seemed like there were also a lot more than 25 people on the session. I realize practice behavior is out of the organizers' control, but it does affect how I (and others) feel about our experience at the comp. Yes, this could happen at any comp, but it hasn't happened to me at any other comps where I've done the practice ice (NYI, Wilmington).

It almost feels like the comp is kind of an afterthought. Particularly last year, since the club had just hosted Regionals. Ex: giving us those nylon string bags with the Souths logo on it. Now, personally, I don't care if I get 'goodies' at a comp. I care much more about how the comp is run, the rink, the ice, the people, how I skate, etc. But if you are going to give people something, don't give them stuff left over from another comp that you're just trying to get rid of. Plus, there were the kids and parents arriving for public sessions and making an (IMO) unnecessarily large amount of noise in the rink area where the comp was going on and kids and parents pushing through crowds (some with large hockey bags) and making a lot of noise in the lobby during the medal ceremonies. I realize that in a 4-rink facility, there's going to be a lot going on, esp on the weekend, but I don't think people need to be so oblivious and rude, JMO.

In general, to me anyway, it's just not a competitor-friendly atmosphere - sorry, Philly, I know you and the rest of the committee work very hard, but that's how I feel.

flo
07-17-2007, 03:29 PM
My first year there was great, I think the entire staff went out of their way to make us welcome. The second year I really missed seeing the pros that we had met at the previous competiton and the camp. The team event was more fun the previous year when all the teams were lined up together at the end. I'd still like to see some variation in the team event - have a draw for the teams, or add a pair/dance or couples or edge element.

And as Debbie has said, it was cold to the point where it interfered with the skating. I didn't go back the third year.

This year I'd like to go and give it another try.

TimDavidSkate
07-17-2007, 03:34 PM
I cant wait for the maneuver teams again, this time, The Medussa's will make its debut :P It will be Angelo, our friend Don, and myself.
Angelo will do the combo spins and second spin requirement
Don the axel and spiral sequence
Me - the single/single jump combo :halo:

flutzilla1
07-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Speaking of team events, I would love to do this is anyone needs an extra skater for a Bronze team. :)

phillyskater
07-18-2007, 09:56 AM
if I'm going to spend $80 (and that's just for the first event) to enter a comp,

Actually, the entry fees last year were only $70 for the first event and $30 for subsequent events (compared to other adult competitions like the Peach Classic which charges $85 for the first and $45 for subesequent event). (I'm not criticizing other competitions -- I love the Peach! -- just getting the facts straight).

And the good news is that fees were not increased this year despite the increasing cost of ice. :)

philly

mikawendy
07-18-2007, 10:23 PM
And the good news is that fees were not increased this year despite the increasing cost of ice. :)

philly

Yay, good to know, since I'm weighing cost factors carefully in deciding whether to come. This is always one of my favorite comps to come to, especially since I have a lot of skating (and nonskating) friends in the PA/DE area.

Philly--is there any possibility of space heaters in the dressing room or is it too much of a fire hazard? (Tee hee, every year, I forget my resolution to buy a longsleeved dress to skate in for tests in the winter time and rinks like Aston that are particularly cold!!!!)

phillyskater
07-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Philly--is there any possibility of space heaters in the dressing room or is it too much of a fire hazard? (Tee hee, every year, I forget my resolution to buy a longsleeved dress to skate in for tests in the winter time and rinks like Aston that are particularly cold!!!!)

Funny you should ask...I just made that request to the Board, so keep your fingers crossed!

philly

FrankR
07-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Funny you should ask...I just made that request to the Board, so keep your fingers crossed!

philly

Well, while we're on the subject of requests, would it be possible to have practice ice on Saturday afternoon? If I recall correctly, there wasn't Saturday afternoon practice ice available last year.

Thanks for the information, philly. :)

phillyskater
07-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Well, while we're on the subject of requests, would it be possible to have practice ice on Saturday afternoon? If I recall correctly, there wasn't Saturday afternoon practice ice available last year.

Here's the scoop on that. While I can make no guarantees, I was informed that practice ice will be built into the schedule on Saturday afternoon this year. To reiterate, the schedule is ultimately set by the referee, not us, so while I will do my absolute best to make sure it happens, please do not hold my feet to the fire if it doesn't. Not that you would, Frank R. :lol:

hippo
07-19-2007, 02:46 PM
The Halloween Classic is my favorite event especially in light of the fact that the Wilmington Adult Open, which used to be its own separate competition was folded into the Diamond Open several years ago. I love how there’s so much camaraderie amongst the skaters. There are some people that I only see once a year during this competition, and it has a nice reunion feel to it. Last year, the competition may have felt like an afterthought due to South Atlantics, but you do have to credit the rink and the club for still running the competition despite the huge commitment and the amount of time and energy required in running two competitions in one month. Regionals was a huge, 10-day event with events and practices running around the clock. If the Halloween Classic really was an afterthought, it would have been a lot easier just to skip it for a year. I’m grateful to have such a large, fun, adult competition. I’m even willing to put up with a cold rink for it. Actually, I think it’s all what you are used to. The rink doesn’t seem horribly cold for me since I normally skate at a hockey rink where seeing your breath is the norm....brrrrrrrrr. Oh, getting medals and placements usually isn’t my focus, but I have to say that this is one of the few competitions that I really want to medal at because I think the scarecrow medals are just so cool.

FrankR
07-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Here's the scoop on that. While I can make no guarantees, I was informed that practice ice will be built into the schedule on Saturday afternoon this year. To reiterate, the schedule is ultimately set by the referee, not us, so while I will do my absolute best to make sure it happens, please do not hold my feet to the fire if it doesn't. Not that you would, Frank R. :lol:

Hey philly,

Thanks for the scoop! I do appreciate it. I understand that you're not personally responsible for the schedule but thought I'd mention it anyway since I do feel it would be helpful. If it doesn't happen, it'll be fine anyway. I won't hold your feet to the fire. Although, I might welcome putting MY feet to the fire at the end of the day since it's a little chilly over there. ;) :) :lol:

Take care and thanks again,

Frank

Skate@Delaware
07-19-2007, 10:22 PM
I was a little surprised that the ladies changing room door opened up to the rink...and gave people a nice view.....8O and there was no mirror in the bathroom. And the ice was very hard; but my rink has switched over to concrete-like ice so that won't be much of an issue.

The timing is really bad for us. Our rink is closed all summer so we don't have time to really be well-prepared for a good skate. I'm not sure if I can do it this year, as I will be extra busy with teaching.

Although we had a blast!!!! Maybe we will just come up with a manuever team.

TimDavidSkate
07-30-2007, 03:17 PM
3 Months & 3 Days To Go 8-)

Raye
08-01-2007, 10:54 AM
I had a fabulous time last year, but (boo hoo) I have to give it a miss this year!:cry: I so wish that I could be coming back this year....

Phils's Gouls, if you are competing as a team again this year, perhaps my spot can go to Flutzilla.....

Looking forward to reading all about it here on the forums and see y'all at HC 08

Joan
08-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Plus, I thought the practice sessions were not particularly conducive to good skating, or even steady breathing. Some people were extremely aggressive (ex: 1 skater skating around behind me, fast, several times as I tried to do a loop jump in the general pattern of my program, forcing me to abort at the last minute, also one skater practicing the 8-step in the middle of a swarm of people - and this was Sunday, when there were no MIF events) and it seemed like there were also a lot more than 25 people on the session. I realize practice behavior is out of the organizers' control, but it does affect how I (and others) feel about our experience at the comp. Yes, this could happen at any comp, but it hasn't happened to me at any other comps where I've done the practice ice (NYI, Wilmington).

I agree with this comment about practice ice. There were some very aggressive higher level skaters who seemed to feel that their high test level gave them the right-of-way. A solution to this is to reduce the number of skaters on the ice, and to separate the gold and championship level skaters away from the rest of us (obviously only a few high level skaters had an attitude and the rest were wonderful).

TimDavidSkate
08-12-2007, 02:31 PM
http://groups.myspace.com/2007HALLOWEENCLASSIC :halo:

Skate@Delaware
08-12-2007, 02:36 PM
I had a fabulous time last year, but (boo hoo) I have to give it a miss this year!:cry: I so wish that I could be coming back this year....

Phils's Gouls, if you are competing as a team again this year, perhaps my spot can go to Flutzilla.....

Looking forward to reading all about it here on the forums and see y'all at HC 08
I don't think there will be a Phil's Ghouls this year....Phil broke his foot riding a motorcycle during a safety course the end of July and is currently waiting for the swelling to go down before it can be put into a cast (his fault-he did NOT go to the ER right away but waited 3 days even though I told him, the course director told him, etc).

So, he won't even be walking by then, let alone skating! I am passing on it as well.

Raye
08-12-2007, 07:22 PM
So sorry to hear about Phil breaking his foot. Please pass along my prayers and best wishes to him for a complete recovery...
(((((((Phil)))))))

phillyskater
08-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Hey everyone! The announcement and application have been posted. Deadline is September 29.
Go to: www.iceworkssc.org.

Don't forget to get your Competitors Party tickets in advance. Space is limited. $20 in advance, $25 at the competition. It should be a lot of fun.

Hope to see you all in November!

philly

flutzilla1
08-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the update! Any takers for a Pre-Bronze/Bronze team? Will do any of the moves except for the spiral sequence.... :)

flo
08-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm available for a silver - gold team. Good spiral sequence and layback or will do jumps and spins.

TimDavidSkate
09-02-2007, 08:17 PM
2 months to go :mrgreen:

Skate@Delaware
09-02-2007, 09:30 PM
So sorry to hear about Phil breaking his foot. Please pass along my prayers and best wishes to him for a complete recovery...
(((((((Phil)))))))
Thanks!

He had seen the ortho doc this past week and the news is...no cast, just the walking boot, he can move his ankle and wiggle his toes but cannot flex his arch or anything else. He is also to try to move around more (he has become quite the couch potato lately and getting very good at video games I'm afraid).

No skating until AFTER physical therapy. Probably mid-November. At the EARLIEST!!!

phillyskater
09-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Hi everyone! Just a reminder that the postmark deadline for the Halloween Classic is one week from today (Saturday, Sept. 29). We've had a great response so far and are expecting a good turnout. And for any dancers out there who may be thinking about entering, we've had a number of dance teams (especially Bronze) enter already, so you'll be in good company!

As always, if you have any questions let me know!

Hope to see you ALL in November. :)

philly

flo
09-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Deadline tomorrow.

sexyskates
09-28-2007, 09:21 PM
I just took my doggie for an evening walk to the Post Office, and dropped my application in the mail box to get my 9/29 postmark! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in Philly!

TimDavidSkate
09-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Good luck to you all - esp the Gold, Silver Bronze Men :bow:

I wont be competing this year :giveup: Im nowhere ready for competition

flo
10-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Any news of a schedule?????

mikawendy
10-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the update! Any takers for a Pre-Bronze/Bronze team? Will do any of the moves except for the spiral sequence.... :)

Hey, flutzilla1, I sent you a PM with some more questions about the team event. (New developments since the last time we PM'd. I'm posting here in case you don't check your PMs often.)

MusicSkateFan
10-23-2007, 06:58 AM
A schedule would be nice! I was half tempted to send an ugly email in response to the competitors party email. How can I make plans to go to the party when I dont know what days/times I am competing?

:roll: :roll:

Just doing Gold Moves and Gold/Silver Team event.

TimDavidSkate
10-24-2007, 09:54 PM
The Schedule 8-) (http://www.helgayang.net/HC_Files/forms/2007HCSchedule.pdf)

Isk8NYC
10-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Did you just get an email about that schedule, Tim?

I'm not registered for the competition, but I was sent an email with a schedule link. Wasn't sure if it was legit - I'm not registered for this comp, but I was on the info mailing list.

Just curious - I don't want to add them to the SPAM list if it's for real.

TimDavidSkate
10-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Did you just get an email about that schedule, Tim?

I'm not registered for the competition, but I was sent an email with a schedule link. Wasn't sure if it was legit - I'm not registered for this comp, but I was on the info mailing list.

Just curious - I don't want to add them to the SPAM list if it's for real.

yeppers, I was on the email list for this competition. :mrgreen:

Isk8NYC
10-24-2007, 11:12 PM
yeppers, I was on the email list for this competition. :mrgreen:Thanks - I worried since it wasn't a link to a club page.

sexyskates
10-25-2007, 08:31 PM
I am registered for the competition and have not received any official e mail. Also, I noticed on the schedule posted by TimDavid - where is the Spin competition?

OK, never mind - I see on the official website that the spins are coming soon. I tried to delete this entry and didn't see how to do it.

sexyskates
10-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Has everyone been receiving e mail updates about the competition? I'm worried that my application has been lost, because I haven't been receiving anything. I just sent them an e mail to ask.

mikawendy
10-25-2007, 10:25 PM
I also sent them an e-mail to ask. I had included my e-mail address on the application (and had received a question earlier about my application), but I didn't receive the e-mailed schedule. The web site says something about registering one's e-mail to receive updates about the schedule and practice ice, but I could't figure out where/how to do that on the web site itself.

I think the schedule has another error--the version I downloaded lists Ladies Bronze FS I twice (once combined with Ladies Bronze FS II and once on its own). I e-mailed them to let them know about that, too. (I think the one on its own could have been a typo for Ladies Bronze FS IV, but I'm not sure...)

Isk8NYC
10-25-2007, 10:42 PM
That's why I thought the schedule email was spam at first. I'm not registered for anything at this competition, but I did sign up through their website for information. (I was thinking of coming to watch.)

sexyskates
10-25-2007, 10:59 PM
I just signed up on the website - maybe that is why others had received updates and I had not. I was just starting to panic that my application might be lost. I've been preparing my new freestyle program for this competition, taken time off from work to attend, and paid for a hotel, plus I'm captain of a team - I have to go!

mikawendy
10-26-2007, 09:56 AM
I just signed up on the website - maybe that is why others had received updates and I had not. I was just starting to panic that my application might be lost.

FYI, people using Firefox (for Mac or PC) or Safari (for Mac) browsers may not be able to see the spot on the competition web site where one can sign up for e-mail updates.

I was completely stumped as to where to sign up for e-mails. It turns out that my browsers are not showing the e-mail signup area on the left side of the competition home page (it appears to be layered under the rest of the page, inaccessible). I was able to find it by searching the site with Google--a cached version of the home page (accessed by IP address rather than the other URL) (http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:PORXoc2i1I0J:www.helgayang.net/HalloweenClassic.aspx+e-mail+site:helgayang.net/HalloweenClassic.aspx&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us)shows the e-mail signup box.

hippo
10-28-2007, 06:38 PM
A revised schedule with spins and full-ice masters/gold compulsory moves has been posted:

http://www.helgayang.net/HC_Files/forms/2007HCSchedule.pdf

By the way, I just found out that PhillySkater's birthday is November 3rd. She is going to be at the competitor's party, so let's be sure to embarass her :)

--Hippo

phillyskater
10-30-2007, 01:50 PM
By the way, I just found out that PhillySkater's birthday is November 3rd. She is going to be at the competitor's party, so let's be sure to embarass her :)

--Hippo

LET'S NOT!!!

Instead, Hippo can buy Phillyskater a drink since she'll definitely need one by then. ;)

Isk8NYC
10-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Wow! Lots of sf members. Pictures! We want pictures!