View Full Version : my blade guard initiation ceremony...

peanutskates
07-09-2007, 01:58 PM
well today for the first time I forgot to take my blade guards off before stepping onto the ice... *splat*. tried to get back up again, coach shouting "stay down!!" finally took guards off... got up... soaking wet.. :lol: my first time!! woo...

share your initiation ceremonies!!

Morgail
07-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Heehee! I don't even remember the first time I did it, I've done it so often! The best is when you try to get up again, thinking "Why can't I skate?" and just fall down a second time.

airyfairy76
07-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Hehe!

I've only done it once. I was skating with a friend, worse luck, so made a complete prat of myself :lol:

Dumped my bag, stepped on the ice, pushed off HARD and couldn't work out why I was moving so slowly. So pushed off HARD again on the other foot. Then in slow motion, my legs started peddling wildly underneath me like a Roadrunner . . . luckily I was able to grab onto the barrier, where, practically kneeling at this point as I clung on for dear life, I took 'em off.

My friend (a non-skater) was nearly peeing herself laughing . . .

Bill_S
07-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Heh...after 7 years of skating it finally happened to me last winter. I was late to practice and LAUNCHED myself onto the ice, and made it about ten feet from the door before I collapsed into a heap.

I've seen it happen enough to others to know that I shouldn't get up before removing them.

It happens to everybody eventually!

(if you haven't done it yet, the clock is still ticking!...)

RinkRat321
07-09-2007, 02:10 PM
ahahah its happened to me three times. usually i'm late, and i'm so excited to get out onto the ice that i forget the guards. my off ice coach did it once too baha

TimDavidSkate
07-09-2007, 02:25 PM
I think I've done that three times way-way-way back. For the first two times I splatted as soon as I stepped on, but the third one I actually glided almost in the middle of the ice. I wondered, did my blades get extremely dull or what? then I splatted :D :frus:

Mercedeslove
07-09-2007, 02:25 PM
I did it at an ice show once, forgot I had put them back on. Got back on the ice. Splat. I just laughed, but yeah I have been there.

liz_on_ice
07-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Mine was at a 5:30am freestyle. Two steps out onto the ice and it was feet-up-bottom-down with no time to think. I curved forward a bit on the way down and rocked onto my back from my butt. When I sat up everyone was staring at me, terrified I'd hit my head, but I was fine. Embarrassed as heck,
but unhurt.

xofivebyfive
07-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Haven't yet. I'm always really good about taking them off before I get on.

sk8pics
07-09-2007, 05:28 PM
It took several years before I did it, but I was late getting on the ice, just for practice so I really didn't need to rush that much, and I charged out onto the ice, cluthing my water, tissues, music, and fleece. And promptly started falling, but as I was falling, I couldn't figure out why I was falling, and actually thought to myself, I can skate better than this! :lol: After I splatted I saw my guards on my feet and took them off before I got up. People came over and picked up my stuff which had scattered onto the ice. I was so embarrassed, but it does happen to everyone sooner or later, I think. So, like was said before, tick...tick...tick...

SynchroSk8r114
07-09-2007, 05:33 PM
I learned the hard way at a competition. Just as I was stepping on the ice for my warm-up, my coach yelled, "Jessy! Your guards!" Too late. I was on my butt the second I took to the ice. Yeah, I guess with all that competition stress and adrenaline pumping, I kinda forgot to remove my guards. Hasn't happened since though!

Now a coach, I cringe every time I see a young skater do this...:frus:

*JennaD*
07-09-2007, 05:44 PM
I was SO proud of myself...I thought that this would never happen to me because I wolud always look at my blades before getting onto the ice, but this last may, I was in a hurry (my lesson was about to start and I had just gotten to the rink) so I put on my skates super quickly and leaped onto the ice...with my guards on of course. I slid sooo far in a huge puddle! I was fine, but Iguess it looked liek I was hurt because there were a bunch of little kids watching hte session who were quick to yell "OH MY GOSH! SHE FELL!! IS SHE OK??"!!!

Emberchyld
07-09-2007, 07:26 PM
:lol: Mine was while stepping onto the ice before a LTS class. Even though I was a part of the adult class, most of the kids thought of me as just a "bigger kid" and would usually come up to me to ask for help or to show off what they had learned. I think I was their first exposure to a blade guard splat.

So, from that point forward, some of the littler ones decided that it was their duty to remind me to take off my guards (usually it's a tug on my shirt and a very serious "Don't forget to take those thingies off!").

Figureskates
07-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Twice, at the Lussi Rink in Lake Placid...

There are no boards around the patch rink so you can step out onto the ronk at any point around the edge...I just forgot to take them off...nice big butt bruise in both cases too!

sue123
07-09-2007, 08:10 PM
I did it halfway. I had put one skate onto the ice, and then I heard somebody yelling at me before I had taken the other foot off the ground. I did kind of end up doing a weird swingy thing around the door because I was startled at the yellilng and my blade not being right.

Rusty Blades
07-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Ain't happened yet ..... Ain't gonna happen!

8O

(taking bets now on "how long" - LOL!)

dbny
07-09-2007, 08:56 PM
That's so cute!

[QUOTE=sue123;329642]I did it halfway. I had put one skate onto the ice, and then I heard somebody yelling at me before I had taken the other foot off the ground.

I've done that move more than once!

Ain't happened yet ..... Ain't gonna happen!

Good luck!

I've only actually stepped onto the ice with my guards on once. Of course, it was at Sky Rink on a freestyle session that I had never been to before :oops:. My insurance against it happening again is a hard and fast rule to always wear put my guards on when I get off the ice. That way, I know that I'm wearing them every time. Of course, the rink where I work now has entry on one side and bathroom on the other, so I've been breaking my rule.