View Full Version : explain the degree of exertion in a skating lesson to a non-skater....

phoenix
07-09-2007, 08:27 AM
I had minor surgery on Friday (outpatient, very easy recovery). I'm feeling really great, and I want to go to my skating lesson tomorrow night. So I want to call my doctor's office & see if they think it would be all right. The sheets they sent me home with say 'resume normal activities as desired', and they also told me verbally, 'no heavy lifting for a few days.'

So--how do you explain the level of physical exertion to a non-skater, possibly a non-athletic/non-active person? This would be a high-level ice dance lesson, so no jumping involved, but my coach works me really hard & I end my lessons drenched in sweat. Is there something I could compare it to--a vigorous bike ride, a dance class, a tennis match (though less impact)?

flo
07-09-2007, 09:25 AM
That would do it. They're not stupid and probably hear about lots of sports in which they don't have direct experience. Just tell them like you told us.

doubletoe
07-09-2007, 12:19 PM
You could say it's similar to low-impact aerobics.

flo
07-09-2007, 01:04 PM
How about high level dancing?

phoenix
07-09-2007, 01:13 PM
thanks for the replies--doctor called back & I'm cleared to skate! woo hoo! 8-)

Bill_S
07-09-2007, 02:09 PM
You could say it's similar to low-impact aerobics.

I agree.

I did aerobics regularly in the swingin' '80s, and that's the first comparison that came to mind.

Award
07-09-2007, 03:46 PM
I agree that that it could be compared to low impact aerobics. Maybe even medium impact aerobics sometimes. Skating is one of the nicest exercises you can get, as long as injuries can be kept to a minimum....preferrably no injuries. You can have incredible fun and get a pretty good body workout at the same time.

doubletoe
07-09-2007, 07:09 PM
I agree.

I did aerobics regularly in the swingin' '80s, and that's the first comparison that came to mind.

Yikes, Bill, looks like we just dated ourselves, LOL!