View Full Version : What don't you like?

teresa
07-08-2007, 10:32 PM
What don't you like about skating? We've all shared what we do like!

1. Rink talk, most of which is untrue. I can't believe the things I've heard, and nolonger believe unless I hear or see it myself.

2. Prima Donna's, kids and adults. Mostly adults though, I give kids a break for being kids.

3. Folks who treat adult skaters like brain challenged individuals. I may not be schooled in the sport as much as some but I'm pretty capable of learning. Don't treat me like I can't learn untill you give me a chance to try.

4. Backstabbers. Parents, skaters and coaches who are nice to others but rip them apart as sonn as their gone. What's up with this?!

teresa

doubletoe
07-08-2007, 11:31 PM
The expense! 8O :cry:

kander
07-08-2007, 11:32 PM
What don't you like about skating? We've all shared what we do like!

1. Rink talk, most of which is untrue. I can't believe the things I've heard, and nolonger believe unless I hear or see it myself.

2. Prima Donna's, kids and adults. Mostly adults though, I give kids a break for being kids.

3. Folks who treat adult skaters like brain challenged individuals. I may not be schooled in the sport as much as some but I'm pretty capable of learning. Don't treat me like I can't learn untill you give me a chance to try.

4. Backstabbers. Parents, skaters and coaches who are nice to others but rip them apart as sonn as their gone. What's up with this?!

teresa

I've heard the same complaints from other women about rink gossip. I seem to either be immune or ignorant to it. Is this a chick thing?

My complaints:

1) The condition of the men's bathroom. It's usually disgusting.

2) Dangerous skaters (usually kids, but often adults). I don't mind if they kill themselves, but I do mind if they take me with them.

tidesong
07-09-2007, 01:48 AM
Don't like
rink politics,
the expense,
the inconvenience (my rink is 1h and 10 mins away from home... and possible new rinks are about 50 mins from home)
bad ice,
catching illnesses from fellow skaters,
inconsiderate people that smoke in the rink,
bad ventilation that brings that same smoke from the toilets right out into the middle of the rink,
wet floor on the side that makes it slippery even when warming up on land,
having to struggle to get good ice time.

peanutskates
07-09-2007, 01:56 AM
dirty floor in warm up area
huge ponds in the ice which I will fall in
snot spins... eww

SkatingOnClouds
07-09-2007, 04:45 AM
Bad ice - either not scraped and re-surfaced, or covered in condensation bumps.
Toilets which haven't been rennovated for over 20 years. Eww!
Dangerous skaters of any description
The Sled of Death - a wooden contraption on blades that kids can push each other around on. So dangerous!
Figure skaters who think they own the rink, that they have right of way over everyone else, even if it is just to stand around chatting.
$$$$$$ - not a cheap sport, especially with 2 in our family doing it.
Inconvenient sessions.
Skating Badly!!!!!

looplover
07-09-2007, 05:53 AM
Doubletoe said it - the expense, number one. My number two would be adults with poor sportsmanship. I see one regularly who seems to be trying to skate on top of me for intimidation purposes. At first I thought I was imagining it, but there's no way I am. What kills me is, this skater is much more advanced than I am - there's no competition there anyway! :roll:

Bill_S
07-09-2007, 06:23 AM
I hate getting up at 4:30 am Mondays and Wednesdays when our rink is open.

I hate having a rink that closes from the end of March through mid-September.

I dislike music hogs that think they own the CD player and continually switch other people's music for theirs. (I don't take any music, but the inconsideration to others is apparent).

I dislike getting soaking wet in perspiration every time I skate, although I know it's good for me.

I dislike inconsiderate parents who teach their kids bad habits by playing tag against the flow during public sessions. And the chairs that they give the very beginning skaters to hold onto. They end up getting used in a shuffle-the chair-across-the-ice game. Always. Without fail.

Oh, yeah, and the cost.

Mrs Redboots
07-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Rink politics that mean I can't take dance from Coach A and basics/moves/artistic from Coach B, which is what I want to do.

Never getting any better - at least, (almost) never overtaking anybody.

Rink politics.

Being 54, with the body of an unathletic 54-year-old which means I'm probably as good as I'm going to get.

Rink politics.

Expense.

Rink politics.

jskater49
07-09-2007, 06:45 AM
The expense

getting up on my toe pick for a jump

how long it takes me to learn something

see my dd disappointed after failing a test

the fact that I can't do the cross behind for the cha cha

the bad rep skating clubs have when I have been in two good ones and have enjoyed the fellowship and working togther

j

chowskates
07-09-2007, 07:04 AM
What don't you like about skating?

The fact that the little kids can suddenly do things I can't!

and that some students would book & confirm lessons, yet not show up!

jskater49
07-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Oh yea. The smell of hockey players. :-P

BuggieMom
07-09-2007, 07:24 AM
The rink politics-It makes me DREAD walking in there. However, watching my dd skate, and the rare times when I can skate myself, makes me willing to even walk through the door.

Nasty, backstabbing parents (mostly mothers) and their nasty children- Really, it only takes a few to really ruin it for the rest of us!

Expense- I complain, but I keep writing those checks..."the smile on your dd's face when she skates well...priceless!"

The jelousy I feel when I hear there are good skating clubs out there!

Bad ice- My dd busted her lip and chipped a tooth because of it, but anytime I complain to the management, I feel like I get a bad mark on my report card.

The heavy bias toward hockey- Figure skating is the red-headed step-child at our rink (apologies to the red-headed step-children out there)

The STENCH of the aformentioned hockey players- Holy cow!!! Get some FEBREEZE, people!!!:giveup:

Skittl1321
07-09-2007, 07:39 AM
The fact that my boots will never be comfortable yet are too expensive to replace so I can only skate 30 minutes at a time.

The cost

The fact that I didn't get to do it sooner

xofivebyfive
07-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Blisters.

30 character rule

*JennaD*
07-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Failing the same dance over and over again...stupid American Waltz! lol

I definitely hate those kids taht think they own the rink...I was in a lesson a few weeks ago practicing my double salchow on the middle circle. These 2 five year olds were practicing cross cuts or something on the same circle. They came up to me and my coach and asked us to move, as they were "trying to practice"!!!

It's been said..but MUSIC HOGS...ahh...some people will play though the entire dance or skills music from start to finish...even if they are done using it!!!

Oh yes and the large puddles after the zamboni cleans the ice...in which I tend to trip in when doing jumps :)

liz_on_ice
07-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Expense, hands down.

2nd place is inconvenience. Actually I'm lucky to have several rinks available, even in summer, but with 2 small kids and a fulltime job, getting ice time in there is stinking hard.

Due to above I don't stick around long enough to hear any rink politics, so it doesn't bother me ;)

1C3 5K4T3R
07-09-2007, 11:39 AM
I dont like. no actually i h8 it when ppl speed skate around the rink in public sessions and have no consideration for others >.<
i'm only on half loop salchow lol is the double salchow hard to learn? O_o

icedancer2
07-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Like everyone else: RINK POLITICS! Can't we all just get along??

I dislike music hogs that think they own the CD player and continually switch other people's music for theirs. (I don't take any music, but the inconsideration to others is apparent).

The hot-shot adult skater who takes off whatever is playing (including kid's program music in a lesson) and replaces it with her CRAP because she thinks it makes her skate better (think again, sweetheart).. and then comes around during her supposed fan-spiral and nearly kicks you in the face...

But again, can't we all get along?????????????:giveup:

doubletoe
07-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I definitely hate those kids taht think they own the rink...I was in a lesson a few weeks ago practicing my double salchow on the middle circle. These 2 five year olds were practicing cross cuts or something on the same circle. They came up to me and my coach and asked us to move, as they were "trying to practice"!!!

At least they had the excuse of only being 5 years old, LOL! Sounds like a good time for a little "sharing" lesson.

Scarlett
07-09-2007, 12:32 PM
1. I'll chime in with the snotty adult skaters. How is it that I can easily share ice with skaters landing triple axels but get the stare down from the adult landing a lutz-loop combo.

2. Scheduling. Wouldn't it be great if the rink was just open all the time!

Ice Dancer
07-09-2007, 12:34 PM
The fact that as soon as someone you know is watching you, you have the worst skate of your life and/or fall over doing something stupid.

Hockey players that think it is hilarious to imitate figure skaters and cut up everyone on the ice.

People who seem to think the presence of cones do not apply to them and they can come across into practice ice anyway, and they dork about so they aren't even practising. That really bugs me as you have to spend the whole time watching out for the idiots, and it bugs me more that my coach doesn't tell them to rack off!

Morgail
07-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Rink politics and gossip, number one.

The expense, of course.

The bumps and gouges on the ice that make simple gliding dangerous.

Hockey players that speed through the middle of the ice where I am setting up a spin.

Kids who get too close when I am spinning.

Skaters who don't keep a look-out on club sessions, especially for those with the right-of-way.

Bratty kids who play with my skate guards. I found them thrown in a hockey box once...

When the rink management won't zamboni the ice after it's been skated on by 100 people for 2 hours.

The smell of my skate boots8O

I also hate losing elements that I think I've gotten. It's a part of skating, but it's so frustrating!

RinkRat321
07-09-2007, 02:15 PM
i can never tie my skates tight enough
i need new skates and i'm no where close to being able to afford them
the new ice at our rink is like a centimeter thick
spending most of my lesson time on MITF
the wall of windows where the psycho parents watch us 24/7

jazzpants
07-09-2007, 02:20 PM
In no particular order...

EXPENSE!!! (Alright! This is #1 on my list!!! All the others are just minor gripes...)
Crowded FS sessions during the summer!!! Nuf said... :roll: :frus:
Bathrooms when it's not clean and restocked w/towels, soap and TP. (And there are a couple of rinks I go to that ARE guilty of this... :x )
Hockey Skater's Uniform Smell (WHOA!!! PHEW!!! FEBREEZE!!!) 8O
I like the hockey guys for the most part, especially the better adult hockey guys. (They're always nice to me... :D ) HOWEVER, it's the "WANNABES Wayne Gretskys" that I don't like as much.
Skating parents who think that I should stay home, have a baby and let my daughter skate. ("YEAH, RIIIIIGHT!!! And miss out on ALL the fun that you guys aren't get? I don't THINK so!!!" :twisted: )
Kids (and SOME Adults) who don't follow the #1 public session rules -- the MIDDLE is for FIGURE SKATERS ONLY!!! :evil:
(Well, more for my lower back....) Hockey Ice. Very HARD ICE!!! HARDER impact on my lower back. I like ice with a bit of "give" to it.BuggieMom: Are you STILL skating??? ;)

Mercedeslove
07-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Hmmm.

1. The cost, I always have to worry about it.
2. Entitlement parents. You know the ones who make comments saying you shouldn't be out there. They think the rink revolves around their precious off springs. Tell you that you, that you should move for their kids. who can't hardly skate, but you know how it goes.
3. open skate when kids wander into the freestyle section. it's usually the little ones on those annoying double runners and just stand there like a lump watching you. Then when someone runs into them, they fall and cry like they were shot. shut up. you landed on your butt.
4. hockey kids at open skate
5. the smell of the bathroom
6. parents who do not watch their off springs and let them run around anywhere, including outside in the parking lot. This is bad for many reasons. They can get hit by a car, can damage a car in their malicious behaviour, or get kidnapped.
7. when it's hot outside. like really hot, the ice is gew
8. "where did you get your skate bag" I'm just going to tattoo rainbo on my head
9. the lack of ice time
10. when I am sick and can't skate or have to work and can't skate.

FallDownGoBoom
07-09-2007, 05:53 PM
-- Anyone standing at the door as you're trying to get on or off the ice.

-- Experienced skaters who make the novice skaters feel unwelcome. What would it take to say, "Oh, it's OK! I'll look out for you!" or, "No, you're fine! No big deal!" or even, "Try to stay close to the wall!" when one of these beginners cuts you off? For a beginner, a kind word can make the difference between, Hey, this could be a fun activity for me and I'll have to come next Saturday! and Never again! They're all so nasty!

-- Uncut ice on a long public session.

SynchroSk8r114
07-09-2007, 06:07 PM
The expense
Ice zits
Breaking in new skates
Crappy skating days
Falling, of course
When the rink's so cold your ears hurt
Failing tests
Young, inexperienced skaters who get in my way because they're not paying attention
Politics
Rink gossip and nosy parents
Spinning when your nose is running

slusher
07-09-2007, 06:13 PM
oh you had to ask didn'tcha? Here's ten of them:

1. The cost. There's three of us. Luckily the fourth one went to hockey. Or maybe not, there are sticks that cost FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS.
2. I won't spend money on myself because a kid news new skates,sticks(they get $25 one) this fee, that fee, shin tape, new tights with no holes. So, I keep putting off buying new skates and my feet are a mess as a result.
3.Politics. Even nice rinks have politics. They're just nicer.
4. The kids in the competitive program who are complete slobs in the change room. How sweet that you're special. Then they yell at me for putting their thrown-about clothes in the lost and found. So PICK UP after yourself. I especially hate their icky band-aid wrappers.
5. Stinky bathrooms. I don't care if it's my husband, it's impossible to hit the toilet while wearing hockey pants.
6. How over the boot tights pulled right down to the blade make your feet look like a block of cement. Just stop.
7.Parents who get on club boards so they can terrorize everyone else.
8. And their friends who don't know any better. Here's a rule book darling, read it.
9. Fundraising requirements with no explanation of where the money goes.
and number 10 is.......

My city, who lets the rink sit empty all day and will not allow dead ice rentals but will staff the rink with two employees in case anyone wants to pay $175 an hour at 2 o'clock in the afternoon...........................

But I do love the zamboni guy!

Mercedeslove
07-09-2007, 11:31 PM
The expense
Ice zits
Breaking in new skates
Crappy skating days
Falling, of course
When the rink's so cold your ears hurt
Failing tests
Young, inexperienced skaters who get in my way because they're not paying attention
Politics
Rink gossip and nosy parents
Spinning when your nose is running

what are ice zits?

Mercedeslove
07-09-2007, 11:35 PM
oh you had to ask didn'tcha? Here's ten of them:

1. The cost. There's three of us. Luckily the fourth one went to hockey. Or maybe not, there are sticks that cost FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS.
2. I won't spend money on myself because a kid news new skates,sticks(they get $25 one) this fee, that fee, shin tape, new tights with no holes. So, I keep putting off buying new skates and my feet are a mess as a result.
3.Politics. Even nice rinks have politics. They're just nicer.
4. The kids in the competitive program who are complete slobs in the change room. How sweet that you're special. Then they yell at me for putting their thrown-about clothes in the lost and found. So PICK UP after yourself. I especially hate their icky band-aid wrappers.
5. Stinky bathrooms. I don't care if it's my husband, it's impossible to hit the toilet while wearing hockey pants.
6. How over the boot tights pulled right down to the blade make your feet look like a block of cement. Just stop.
7.Parents who get on club boards so they can terrorize everyone else.
8. And their friends who don't know any better. Here's a rule book darling, read it.
9. Fundraising requirements with no explanation of where the money goes.
and number 10 is.......

My city, who lets the rink sit empty all day and will not allow dead ice rentals but will staff the rink with two employees in case anyone wants to pay $175 an hour at 2 o'clock in the afternoon...........................

But I do love the zamboni guy!

I always have number 6 as an issue. The tights just never fit right. a size down is way to short and size b fits wasit wise but I always have extra tights and have to pull 'em down.

The size chart says size c for my height, but the weight is like 20-30lbs heavier then I am. so I choose size b.

Bill_S
07-10-2007, 06:35 AM
what are ice zits?

Condensation bumps. Sometimes they can get LARGE.

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/ice-bumps-04sml.jpg

Rusty Blades
07-10-2007, 06:47 AM
hockey ice
hockey boards
hockey dressing rooms
hockey stink

I hope, before I pass from this life, to get a chance to skate for awhile at a dedicated figure skating facility with REAL figure skating ice, the kind where you can hold an edge with your hip practically on the ice, a place that doesn't have boards, glass, and nets like a cage at a zoo, a place with pleasant and comfortable dressing rooms with something other than plank benches to sit on, and a place that smells like your aunt's living room rather than a hockey player's crotch 8O

Hannah
07-10-2007, 06:49 AM

Wow, that's quite a picture! Ours didn't get that big, and finally, with a new de-humidifier, they seem to be under control...

What I don't like about skating:

The bruises, when they hurt. Otherwise they are kind of cool. (Especially to my brother.)

Hockey hooligans. The pint-sized ones who aren't afraid to die.

Getting up in the morning and not waking up until I'm actually lacing up my skates. I'm no morning person!

I've seen lots of people mention politics, but I haven't seen much among the adults at my rink. There's the normal amount of griping, but it doesn't get to that destructive point. That I've seen.

Skate@Delaware
07-10-2007, 07:04 AM
hockey ice
hockey boards
hockey dressing rooms
hockey stink

I hope, before I pass from this life, to get a chance to skate for awhile at a dedicated figure skating facility with REAL figure skating ice, the kind where you can hold an edge with your hip practically on the ice, a place that doesn't have boards, glass, and nets like a cage at a zoo, a place with pleasant and comfortable dressing rooms with something other than plank benches to sit on, and a place that smells like your aunt's living room rather than a hockey player's crotch 8O
You need to skate HERE:
http://www.pschs.org/Set_About_main.htm

Hockey hooligans. The pint-sized ones who aren't afraid to die.

a well-placed hip check will put them in their place :twisted:

Ok, my turn:
The expense-my whole family skates! Son plays hockey and always needs new skates EVERY FRICKIN YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Prima Donna's who NEVER YIELD-Well, when I'm in lesson IN MY PROGRAM neither do I! :twisted: EXCUSE ME!
The one at our rink who thinks he is special so he does whatever the heck he wants...even if it means monopolizing the music box with his stupid disney music (um, you are 18, grow up a little!
Our rink is pretty clean so no complaints about that but THE FOOD AT THE SNACK BAR SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and is TOTALLY UNHEALTHY!!!! but they don't want you to bring in outside food. I do it anyway, citing "special dietary needs" (yeah, I need to be able to digest and not have food sit for days).
I don't like that my rink shuts down mid-April to September. It's underwritten by the SLOTS so there is tons of $$$$$$$$$ (cheap people)
The rink manager complains about figure skaters tearing up the hard hockey ice but lets the hockey players sketch circles into the ice that are 1/2" deep!!!! Now he's talking about stupid bumper cars!!! and less zamboni time!

Yeah I hang out there too much!!!

Rusty Blades
07-10-2007, 07:43 AM
You need to skate HERE:
http://www.pschs.org/Set_About_main.htm

That's BEAUTIFUL!

Humane Society? Does that mean my hound could come to the rink to? ;)

airyfairy76
07-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Woah - serious bump! 8O What happens if you skate into one of those?

What don't I like? Hmmm . .

Like everyone else - the expense
The little goblins in hockey skates who think its simply hilaaaarious to throw cones around
Those days when I just can't get the lacing right. I start off too loose and feel like I am slobbing around in my skates, and then tighten them so much I lose all sensation in my feet :lol:
Dressing room? What's that?! Ally Pally just has some disgusting toilets, and a hard block of concrete to sit on by the lockers.
The days when your feet get cold
Rough ice that makes your bones shake as you skate over it
Mental blocks :giveup:

Rob Dean
07-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Humane Society?

As their web site probably says, the name goes back to the days when they were skating on the frozen river ice, so lifesaving of skaters gone through the ice was a mission, and there used to be fines for club members skating without their lifesaving ropes...

One of the members told me last year, that, given the name, they were at least considering a dog show as a fundraiser. :)

Rob

Skate@Delaware
07-10-2007, 08:54 AM
As their web site probably says, the name goes back to the days when they were skating on the frozen river ice, so lifesaving of skaters gone through the ice was a mission, and there used to be fines for club members skating without their lifesaving ropes...

One of the members told me last year, that, given the name, they were at least considering a dog show as a fundraiser. :)

Rob
Wow! I did not know that! Thanks for the info!

I really should get my behind up there and skate; since it's soooo close! My skating director goes up there once in a while. She said you only "forget" there are no boards ONCE ;)

Kim to the Max
07-10-2007, 08:58 AM
* The cost...both skates and ice time
* The fact that while I was in school I didn't have enough time nor the transportation, so it's been about 10 years since I've skated seriously
* Hockey ice...the ruts at the ends of the rinks, the hard ice, the cold temperature
* The stench of hockey equipment...it almost makes me sick every time
* Rink moms...don't have to deal with this too much now (I skate at a rink on a college campus where not that many kids skate)...but some of the things I saw/heard when I was younger made me thank my lucky stars my mom wasn't like that
* Coaches who do not understand that skating should be fun
* People (skaters, hockey players, and rec skaters) who do not watch where they are going, or skate out of control

I think that's it :)

Bunny Hop
07-10-2007, 09:39 AM
The Sled of Death - a wooden contraption on blades that kids can push each other around on. So dangerous!

Yep - that thing really freaked me out when we came to your rink last year. Avoiding kids who are likely to skate straight out in front of you is one thing - avoiding them on an ice go-kart is another thing entirely!

Very timely thread, by the way, given the session I went to this morning:
I don't like public sessions with zillions of small children who are a) skating across the rink instead of around it and b) doing more falling over than actual skating. Especially when both ends of the rink are coned off so there's hardly any space for general skating to start with (it was lessons at one end - no problem there - but never did work out what was going on at the other end). I know this is all a hazard of public sessions, but when that's your only option, having your (usually quiet) weekday session invaded so you can't practice anything is very frustrating, particularly with summer holidays imminent, when it will be like that all the time.

And the other gripe: Snail-like progress due to only skating once a week (darn need to work for a living!).

SynchroSk8r114
07-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Woah - serious bump! 8O What happens if you skate into one of those?

Yeah, you're gonna be going down. :lol: Sometimes the little ones can be chipped away gently with your toepick, but those monsters...wow! 8O

Summerkid710
07-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Not having the time and energy to dedicate to my skating. Knowing what's needed to accomplish my goals and not being able to follow through because life gets in the way.

doubletoe
07-10-2007, 12:03 PM
After this morning, I need to add, "Freestyle session skaters who don't pay attention to where the program skater is headed and fail to get out of the way". Aaarrgghhh!! :frus: It's true that inexperienced skaters have more trouble getting out of the way quickly, but these are ADULTS who DRIVE. . . If they can't stay alert, anticipate where a fast-moving object is going to be in 5 seconds and get out of its path, maybe they should stay off the streets as well?

Rusty Blades
07-10-2007, 12:21 PM
One of the members told me last year, that, given the name, they were at least considering a dog show as a fundraiser.

A dog show on ice - now THAT would be unique - LOL! I would love to see my Bloodhound on skates 8O :mrgreen:

Laura H
07-10-2007, 02:40 PM
First and foremost, at the moment . . . NO LOCAL ICE. :frus: (I didn't even know what condensation bumps WERE until we had to start commuting to other rinks - were we spoiled or WHAT?). Darn it, I would gratefully accept the stinky hockey players (well, one is actually my son!) without comment if we could only have our local ice rink back again!! :halo:

A close second . . . out of state rink management companies who decide to close down a rink with about 3 hours notice!!! (or at least the one that affected us - I sure hope they are not all like that!).

Like everyone else, sure wish the $$ were not so high . . . adding gas & travel expense on top of that is even worse . . . whatchagonna do though. We are HOOKED!

FLskater
07-10-2007, 03:00 PM
- the cost, definitely
- skating in the summertime - the public sessions usually have around 150 camp kids, and the place turns into a zoo. Even the freestyles are more crowded, since nobody wants to be on public ice now. Can't wait til school is back in session.
- those metal bars that are used by beginning skaters. So dangerous.
- everyone around me seems to be getting injured with a nasty fall. I'm afraid of that happening to me. (At least weight training only had the risk of dropping a weight on your foot.)
-I hate the fact that you have to rely on a rink's hours to do your skating. Wish I could just do it at home! I know they make those little backyard rinks for the colder climates, but it just isn't happening in Florida!

Mercedeslove
07-10-2007, 04:13 PM

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/ice-bumps-04sml.jpg

holy $4!7 thats insane

*JennaD*
07-10-2007, 05:26 PM
I definitely agree with hating hockey ice...and the bruises that come with it 8O especially with the condition of my axel/double sal and my apparent disability to land :frus: lol

chantelly
07-11-2007, 01:23 AM
What a bump!
I hate tests, really cannot stand them! I have two of them today and I already have butterfly tummy and its 3 hours yet! Its just so quiet and serious. xx

kateskate
07-11-2007, 03:59 AM
What a bump!
I hate tests, really cannot stand them! I have two of them today and I already have butterfly tummy and its 3 hours yet! Its just so quiet and serious. xx

Best of luck for the tests!

chantelly
07-11-2007, 07:30 AM
Best of luck for the tests!
We waited at the test session for 3 hours and then without warning the judge left! Apparently they are 'fitting the rest of us in' at a competition in 2 weeks time! pretty mad now! xx

kateskate
07-11-2007, 07:44 AM
We waited at the test session for 3 hours and then without warning the judge left! Apparently they are 'fitting the rest of us in' at a competition in 2 weeks time! pretty mad now! xx

Oh no! How annoying!!!! What tests were you supposed to be doing?

chantelly
07-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Level 5 compulsories and level 2 variation. Never mind hey! xx

GordonSk8erBoi
07-11-2007, 07:13 PM
I've heard the same complaints from other women about rink gossip. I seem to either be immune or ignorant to it. Is this a chick thing?

I have the same question. I hear women complain about this all the time, but I haven't experienced this myself.

teresa
07-11-2007, 11:03 PM
I've heard guys gossip at the rink, not that we have a lot!

teresa

Sonic
07-12-2007, 07:46 AM
My top ten hates are:

1) Wet, badly surfaced ice with bumps and puddles
2) Freezing cold rinks
3) Bad skate days
4) Being a slow learner with no co-ordination
5) Dangerous idiots on public sessions who think they can skate, and fly around at speed but can't control it.
6) Idiot kids who see you going into a spin and head towards you like a moth to a flame
7) Getting into a state before competitions, even though I'm fine as soon as I'm on the ice and the music starts.
8) Back spins!
9) Back spins
10) Did I mention back spins lol!

S xxx

Mel On Ice
07-12-2007, 10:44 AM
politics from one club to another. Can't we all get along? I feel like I am brandishing olive branches and excessive goodwill to drive home the point.

People who lie about their abilities to impress lord knows who. If you don't have an axel or a double sal, be honest about it, don't brag that you have them and then the skills miraculously "disappears" any time anyone asks to see it. I will be the first person to tell you that my axel attempts are underrotated by more than 1/4, and always landed on two feet - the more honest you are with yourself, the better equipped you are to correction, improvement and accomplishment.

Parents of children I have judged in competition second guessing my placements in conversation. Really, you should know better.

Ice that hasn't been cut for 3 sessions and an open skate. I've paid for decent ice, I should get decent ice.

God love the beautiful babies, but PLEASE don't stare at me frozen in horror when you see me coming full steam backwards. Nothing is more traumatizing to me than knocking out some sweet thing doing bunny hops and two foot spins in the lutz corner.

Excessive drama over placements in competition. I put this here because I am very guilty of this particular sin and trying to correct it. Especially at my age, it's adult skating, not the end of the world.

Overuse of music and themes. If you're going to do Carmen, pick a new musical arrangement to make it fresh and interesting - props to techskater for this!

Inappropriate music and themes. Little kids skating to Grease or as Marilyn Monroe. Adults skating to certain selections of Disney. Act your age!

flying~camel
07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
politics from one club to another. Can't we all get along? I feel like I am brandishing olive branches and excessive goodwill to drive home the point.

Amen, sistah!

It's a good thing we have the WMAS group to help us bridge the gap, even if it is just among the adult skaters!

techskater
07-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Completely in agreement with everything Mel posted!

Thanks for the props on the new music. It came from one of my training mates! 8-)