View Full Version : Foot pain

momsk8er
07-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Anyone have trouble with foot pain? I have a painful spot on the outside of my foot in the middle - seems like lace bite but on the side of the foot.

Any experience with this?

Thanks.

cherriee
07-09-2007, 09:47 AM
I have a painful spot on the outside of my foot in the middle - seems like lace bite but on the side of the foot.

But the lace couldn't reach the side of the foot, could it? If the tongue of your skate fits nicely and not slips under the laces, it might not be the problem of your skating boot.

The spot on the outside of the foot could be related to the fifth metatarsal bone (shaft of the little toe). If you experience swelling, you may want to check your fifth metatarsal bone. Maybe you have overused it. Overtime it can form a kind of fracture. This link describe injuries to this bone: http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Injuries/LE/Foot&Ankle/5th_metatarsal.htm.

I broke mine a month ago. Now that I'm recovering, I feel the exact same pain that you described.

skatergal
07-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks - I'm hoping its not a stress fracture. I broke my 5th metatarsal on the other foot last sumer when I was practicing loops in the living room with no shoes on. Came down wrong on it and "crack!" But the pain there was intense, and no way I could walk on it, or even put any weight on it at all. I can walk on my foot now - at least a mile or so until it starts getting tired.

The lace bite thing - well, no the laces don't reach down to the side of my foot, but it is the same area that is the tightest from the lacing. So that's why I thought lace bite. It's the same reason I don't want to stretch them there - its exactly where I need them the tightest.

I appreciate the help, I've been mostly a lurker on this board, but I have really enjoyed reading about everyone and their skating adventures.

cherriee
07-10-2007, 07:49 AM
I broke my 5th metatarsal on the other foot last sumer when I was practicing loops in the living room with no shoes on. Came down wrong on it and "crack!" But the pain there was intense, and no way I could walk on it, or even put any weight on it at all.

8O Guess what... I was practicing lutz in my bedroom with no shoes on... that's how I broke mine! I joke with people that "I learned my lesson. Next time I'm going to practice in the living room."

Feel better.