View Full Version : skating tops - need suggestions

Morgail
07-08-2007, 06:13 PM
What do you all wear on top when you skate?

In summer, I usually wear a t-shirt and hoodie (which comes off in about 10 minutes). However, all my skating t-shirts are kinda icky now since I've been skating in them for over a year, and most of them are too big because I've lost a lot of weight. Most of them were old to begin with (old college and high school shirts), so now they are in a pretty pathetic state.

I want to get some new tops to skate in, but I'm not sure what to get. I need something that isn't skin-tight (I have a pudgy tummy:lol: ), but that isn't so big that it blouses out like a balloon when I spin or flies up in the air when I jump. For summer, I need something that is short-sleeved because I get hot when I skate. In winter, I can just layer over it.

On bottom, I usually wear a skating skirt or some stretchy athletic pants, so it would need to be usable with both of those.

Any suggestions?

sue123
07-08-2007, 06:28 PM
I usually just wear some more fitted tee shirts, like the Old Navy perfect fit T's. Then again, when I was in college, I went straight to class after the rink, so those shirts are fine to wear to class as well, if I couldn't change. Although I suppose if you wanted something besides cotton, you could maybe look at clothes made with Coolmax, I think Target has a pretty big Coolmax selection.

miraclegro
07-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Well, i kinda have the summer wardrobe and the winter. In the summer, i wear either t-shirts that aren't huge and baggy but fit nicely. I also have some v-neck ssleeveless pullover shirts (a few diff. colors) that are great b/c they have some spandex in them. I wear a cami under them so i won't offend anyone when i do a camel. I'm not large-chested though. I wear a capezio t-shirt type zip jacket when i'm working on moves or just warming up. I got that at some goodwill store or something.

In the winter i wear some of the mock-turtlenecks. Love them. Can push the sleeves up. I wear a fleece jacket while i warm up.

The more i skate, the more i hate floppy shirts. I've even picked up a few at the consignment shop and keep at least one change of clothing in my bag. Hope this helps.

littlerain
07-08-2007, 08:06 PM
I don't know if this helps but I tend to wear tank tops (the wifebeater style - i have lots of these from jcrew and stuff that I basically wear everyday lol) with the mondor polartec fleece jacket (which i love!!). The suggestion to check out coolmax stuff at target is a good one - i'll try that!

SynchroSk8r114
07-08-2007, 08:12 PM
I love Express's lyrca spaghetti-strap tank tops with the built in bra top. They stretch and move with you, but are very form-fitting and cute! Plus, they come in a variety of colors that you can pair with any color skirt or pants. They're also versatile - they don't give that 'Hey, I just came from a workout/the rink.' look, so you can head out to class or throw a cute jacket on and head to work. They're not that much either, maybe $20-25 a shirt.

littlerain
07-08-2007, 08:16 PM
aah! I used to wear those all the time! Hmm I might still have some! What a great idea!

RinkRat321
07-08-2007, 08:16 PM
i wear these shirts called "body pop" shirts. they're perfect to wear over dresses, and they stretch & come in tons of colors. i really like the under armour shirts too.

Skate@Delaware
07-08-2007, 08:37 PM
I wear a camisole/skinny strap tank with a t-shirt (walmart brand that has lycra in it) over top. then I put on a sweater (acrylic) and then my fleece jacket. That way, I can drop a layer as I warm up.

Lately, I've been skating on plastic stuff-I bet my rink is the hottest!!! The other day it was 85!! So, I wear a tank top (something modest, though). Or a t-shirt.

tidesong
07-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Well I wear t shirts, polo ts, tanks, and or almost anything over a leotard... generally its more the fit and the material that ensures it doesnt fly... just get a top thats well fitted with slightly stretchy material would be great I feel... alot of the shops here have been adding lycra to their basic tops and I wear those quite a bit.

Mrs Redboots
07-09-2007, 06:31 AM
In summer, T-shirts or polo shirts underneath with a cardigan on top; in winter, long-sleeved T-shirts or polo-necked shirts with a cardigan or fleece jersey or even ordinary jersey on the top. Usually only two layers - I find it ample, and often have to shed a layer when working really hard, especially in summer.

jenlyon60
07-09-2007, 06:59 AM
A lot of the kids where I skate like to wear the stretch camisoles, like you can find for sale at Target (the ones with a shelf bra inside) with leggings, unless they're wearing a skating dress. The stretch camisoles don't provide enough support for me, so in summer I usually wear a stretchy t-shirt or polo shirt with my standard black skate pants. I'll start with a warm-up jacket on, and depending on which rink I'm at and how hard I'm working as to when the jacket gets put on the barrier.

chantelly
07-09-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm into leotards with a thin ballet cardi on top at the moment or strappy tops and thin cropped cardis. I can get away with a bra that way too! xx