View Full Version : Got My New Boots & Blades, also New Problem!

dbny
07-07-2007, 06:36 PM
After struggling with my boots and blades for the past two years I finally am in new ones. The problems with the old ones were that they had become too big (weight loss) and that my L foot was pronating more severely than ever before. I could not skate F in a straight line on my L without falling in. And FO edges required a conscious effort to barely keep my knee over my toes.

Evidently, I have been compensating for too long. When I got on the ice today for the first time in the new equipment, I felt that I could not control the L at all. I gradually worked on it to the point that I could do FO and FI edges (Pre-Pre pattern) on the line, and found that I can now do a straight line also, without falling in. The R feels completely comfortable, except for the sharp blades, but the L, after an hour, still feels pretty strange and uncomfortable. I'm scared of it.

On the plus side, the boots feel like fine kid gloves on my feet, and though I felt some pressure on the insides just above the arch, there was no movement and no rubbing. An hour barefoot in the boots, and there are no marks at all on my feet.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm a little worried that I have a big job ahead of me adjusting and that this will be a rather miserable setback.

doubletoe
07-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Personally, I think your first time out in the new boots sounds REALLY encouraging! All new boots (& blades) require adjustment time and it's a little scary the first time you skate in them. I remember the last time I got a new pair of boots I felt like I'd been driving a little sports car before and now all of a sudden I was in a big SUV. Okay, so that analogy will make no sense to anyone but me, but that's how it felt, LOL. I didn't feel like I could get into the ice. In your case, your left foot is having to adjust to a new position, so even though it's now the correct one, it's got to be a major adjustment. But if you were able to do both FI and FO edges on your left, I'd say that's a great sign!

dbny
07-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Actually, that analogy makes perfect sense to me! Thank you for the encouragement! I felt like such a beginner, hugging the wall out of fear. All of a sudden, the R just said "let's go!", and the L followed along a bit. Another thing holding me back is the freshly sharpened blades. I rely on the B snowplow stop so much that skating backwards without it is scary. At least forwards, I've got the T stop.

Skate@Delaware
07-07-2007, 07:46 PM
I went from too-big boots and very flat blades (comets) to boots that fit properly and rockery blades (Aces). Give it about a week or so and you will be adjusted ok. Really!!! Trust me on this, ok?

dbny
07-07-2007, 09:25 PM
I went from too-big boots and very flat blades (comets) to boots that fit properly and rockery blades (Aces). Give it about a week or so and you will be adjusted ok. Really!!! Trust me on this, ok?

I'm on the same blades (also Aces) but 1/4 inch shorter. Don Klingbeil told me the new boots are completely different from my old ones (also Klingbeils). So it only took you a week? That's great news for me, if I can manage it in a week also.

Skate@Delaware
07-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Yes. What you will want to do is start with the basics first...two-foot, then one-foot glides, stroking, etc....and move up from there. I had my basic skills book and used that as my "new boot/blade school" guide.

Also, when you feel tired, end your session and STRETCH!!! I read your other thread. Sounds like your body has compensated for so long...now it has to compensate in the OTHER direction! Maybe it's time for a massage??? Or heat & ice!!!

Good luck!

CanadianAdult
07-08-2007, 10:24 AM
You're all making me very nervous. I've ordered new boots and blades. I have put off buying new skates for at least a year because of both fear of break in (ouchy feet) and having to relearn the blade. My current blades are now flat and I have adapted to them. I worry about having to un-adapt. I also will be going from too-big boots and flat blades to lovely boots and rockery blades (Aces also). Oh boy....my rink doesn't have walls to hang onto!

The skate fitter though thinks proper fitting boots might improve the nagging pain in my hip (dbny, yes I saw your other thread!) because my body has been out of alignment for so long.

Now here's the annoying part. I now realize my present skates are done like dinner, but the new ones have to come in on special order and I won't have them for about six weeks. I've got to skate on the old ones in the meantime but mentally I am all ready for the new ones even if it does mean going back to baby steps.

Skate@Delaware
07-08-2007, 02:19 PM
You're all making me very nervous. I've ordered new boots and blades. I have put off buying new skates for at least a year because of both fear of break in (ouchy feet) and having to relearn the blade. My current blades are now flat and I have adapted to them. I worry about having to un-adapt. I also will be going from too-big boots and flat blades to lovely boots and rockery blades (Aces also). Oh boy....my rink doesn't have walls to hang onto!

The skate fitter though thinks proper fitting boots might improve the nagging pain in my hip (dbny, yes I saw your other thread!) because my body has been out of alignment for so long.

Now here's the annoying part. I now realize my present skates are done like dinner, but the new ones have to come in on special order and I won't have them for about six weeks. I've got to skate on the old ones in the meantime but mentally I am all ready for the new ones even if it does mean going back to baby steps.
Nah, don't worry too much about it. Just take your time and start small...After a little while you will be zipping around like Sasha C!!! I found the stiffness of the new boots the hardest thing to adapt to; the rocky blade was really a minor detail. You really aren't supposed to jump or spin in new boots/blades right off the bat until your permanent screws are set anyway. The first few times skating is to start breaking them in and to make sure that the blades are aligned (one-foot glides and 3-turns will tell you that in case you didn't know).

My comets had a huge toepick, just like Aces so that wasn't even a thing.

Relax about it!!! Once you slip into those new boots, your feet will feel great! As an aside, I will just mention about lace bite-I did have that but bunga sleeves took care of that.

icedancer2
07-08-2007, 03:19 PM
I know that you've probably checked this, but what about the alignment of the blade mounting - could it be that the blade isn't set right for you, or that the blade itself is torqued?

Just thinking. Also interesting that it's the left foot and now you're having trouble with your left hip - ouch!!

dbny
07-08-2007, 03:20 PM

I couldn't wait to get my new skates, and was really shocked at how klutzy I felt in them at first. The more I think about it though, the more it seems that the freshly sharpened blades also had a lot to do with my discomfort. I don't think my old skates were causing me any pain, just a lot of trouble with LFO edges, LFO threes, and RFI threes. Possibly also some trouble learning the backspin, since the spin spot on the R blade was shaved just a bit.

Since your rink doesn't have a wall, is there someone who could hold your hand for a few minutes? I'm going to have to continue to wear my old skates to teach LTS because of the stopping issue. I hope to have that taken care of in about a week.

Klingbeils do not need much break in time at all. My first pair didn't and these feel so comfy that I don't think I'll have any problems with that. I don't jump, so that's not an issue.

BTW - I cleared my PM's.