View Full Version : Combination Jumps

Morgail
07-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Today I played around with all kinds of single jump combinations. However, when the second jump is a loop, I land it at a standstill. There is no speed at all coming out of the loop. How do I get flow out of this jump when it's in combination? Do I need to go into the jumps faster? Is it something to do with timing?

RinkRat321
07-06-2007, 02:05 PM
more speed going into the jump will deffinetly help. make sure when you land the first jump your free leg is infront of you so the next jump is already set up. hope that helps!

doubletoe
07-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Are you really sitting down and curling your takeoff edge before taking off on the loop? If you rush the takeoff without giving yourself a real edge, it will be hard to get outlfow on the landing. Also, remember to pull your right shoulder back before squaring up to take off. These are the two things that help me, especially when I don't have a lot of outflow out of the first jump.

techskater
07-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Today I played around with all kinds of single jump combinations. However, when the second jump is a loop, I land it at a standstill. There is no speed at all coming out of the loop. How do I get flow out of this jump when it's in combination? Do I need to go into the jumps faster? Is it something to do with timing?

Do you press your landing of the first jump all the way back to your heel (but not off your heel) and then press back up to the toe for the next take off? For a the time in between the jumps it should feel like toe-heel-toe-up.

Morgail
07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try them out tomorrow when I skate again. I'm pretty sure that I'm not giving the edge enough time to curl in when I go into the loop, so that could definitely be part of it. I hadn't thought about pressing the landing back and then forward again either. I'll let you all know how it goes!

vesperholly
07-08-2007, 04:18 AM
My coach always told me that the first jump should have a lot of height, and the second jump should have a lot of distance. So, think "up" then "out". She got that tip from Frank Carroll. :D

Morgail
07-08-2007, 06:16 PM
The tips definitely helped! I still don't have a lot of flow out of the loop, but at least I'm not landing at a standstill.

vesperholly - That's really interesting! I haven't heard that one before. I'll give it a try:) (It has to be good if it's from Frank Carroll!)