View Full Version : Anyone going to the Moran Memorial competition?

herniated
07-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Hi, Is anyone going to the Moran Memorial competition? It is at the Ice House in Hackensack, NJ at the end of August.

flutzilla1
07-06-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm signed up for Bronze. Whether or not this was a good decision remains to be seen.....8O

herniated
07-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Cool!! I'll look for you. I am in Silver. I always wonder myself if entering is a good decision. I go through many ranges of emotion during this whole process. Right now, I'm good with the decision.

I'll be there with my husband and 8yr old son. We will all be wearing blue!! So, you can't miss us.

LWalsh
07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
I will most likely be there in Silver.

herniated
07-07-2007, 07:36 AM
I will most likely be there in Silver.

Yeah! Looking forward to meeting you. By the way, did you compete at the 2006 AN in Dallas? I think I met you. Are you from Orlando?

xofivebyfive
07-07-2007, 10:49 AM
uh. I might be there competing at PrePreliminary. :oops: LOL.

herniated
07-07-2007, 11:06 AM
uh. I might be there competing at PrePreliminary. :oops: LOL.

Cool!!! Does your level skate on Sunday? I think the adults are on Sunday.

xofivebyfive
07-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Nope I would be on Friday. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it now with how I think I'll be feeling this summer with all of my medication. I might have to scratch.

herniated
07-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Nope I would be on Friday. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it now with how I think I'll be feeling this summer with all of my medication. I might have to scratch.

Well, if you do have to scratch I hope you feel better. I've had to scratch a couple of times for medical reasons too. But it was for the best.:cry:

LWalsh
07-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah! Looking forward to meeting you. By the way, did you compete at the 2006 AN in Dallas? I think I met you. Are you from Orlando?

Hi,

Sorry but no it wasn't me. I was in Chicago this pat year though.

As it turns out I guess I won't be going. The application posted on the website for the rink was for last year and the deadline was July 15th. I looked really quick and though I had another week to send it in. The someone at the rink pointed out that the deadline wa over already. When I looked on the club website the deadline was July 7th.:frus: I can't believe I screwed up.

Lwalsh

herniated
07-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Hi,

Sorry but no it wasn't me. I was in Chicago this pat year though.

As it turns out I guess I won't be going. The application posted on the website for the rink was for last year and the deadline was July 15th. I looked really quick and though I had another week to send it in. The someone at the rink pointed out that the deadline wa over already. When I looked on the club website the deadline was July 7th.:frus: I can't believe I screwed up.

Lwalsh

Phooey!! Sorry you didn't make the deadline. That stinks when that happens. And sorry I won't meet you at the event. Maybe at AN in Lake Placid.

flutzilla1
07-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Hey herniated quick question: when are the best FS sessions for adults to go to at Ice House? I was there for the adult camp and go there every few months to get my skates sharpened, but I've never done a regular FS sesson there. The ones I have seen in the early afternoons look like they are populated by high level skaters with doubles and triples -- are there ever any open sessions or (dare I dream?) low level FS sessions? I want to be sure I skate a few before the comp to get my program laid out, as I usually eschew the practice sessions before the comp.

Thanks in advance! :)

badaxel
07-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Hey herniated quick question: when are the best FS sessions for adults to go to at Ice House? I was there for the adult camp and go there every few months to get my skates sharpened, but I've never done a regular FS sesson there. The ones I have seen in the early afternoons look like they are populated by high level skaters with doubles and triples -- are there ever any open sessions or (dare I dream?) low level FS sessions? I want to be sure I skate a few before the comp to get my program laid out, as I usually eschew the practice sessions before the comp.

Last summer they had a great adult FS session on Tues and Thurs around 6:15 or something. I went a few times and really liked the session (I'm at the Silver level). I always feel weird skating there because if I do the lower session then I feel like I'm too high for it, and if I do the high session, I feel very intimidated. Could just be me, though...

Emberchyld
07-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Last summer they had a great adult FS session on Tues and Thurs around 6:15 or something. I went a few times and really liked the session (I'm at the Silver level). I always feel weird skating there because if I do the lower session then I feel like I'm too high for it, and if I do the high session, I feel very intimidated. Could just be me, though...

There are plenty of open freestyles (check out the ice house website for times) and on Tuesday and Thursday nights during the summer, they have Adult Only freestyles. (I only remember the 7 pm one because I never get out of work on time for the earlier one, but I'm guessing off the top of my head that the times are 6:15 and 7pm). Morning open freestyles are 6ish and 6:55 in the summer. There are also no test freestyles...

Check the website, though, because there are a few random weeks where they don't have the regular summer schedule.

herniated
07-12-2007, 08:22 AM

Hi flutzilla, I see others have answered your question. I'm glad because I've never skated there.

flutzilla1
08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Just saw that the competitor list is up -- a little bummed that there are only 3 of us in Adult Bronze when there seem to have been 4 or more in recent years. I hope I fit into my competition dress by then...;)

xofivebyfive
08-08-2007, 11:58 AM
I decided not to compete. It was just too much pressure to have to throw together my program and get it perfect in time especially with how I'm feeling. But I'll probably end up going to watch and see what the rest of the competition is like. Maybe I'll see some of you there!

herniated
08-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Just saw that the competitor list is up -- a little bummed that there are only 3 of us in Adult Bronze when there seem to have been 4 or more in recent years. I hope I fit into my competition dress by then...;)

I'm kinda bummed too. There are only TWO of us in silver. Look for me fluz and xofivebyfive(if you come to watch and sorry you're still not well). Remember, I'll be wearing blue as will my family. Weirdo's we are.

xofivebyfive
08-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm kinda bummed too. There are only TWO of us in silver. Look for me fluz and xofivebyfive(if you come to watch and sorry you're still not well). Remember, I'll be wearing blue as will my family. Weirdo's we are.
I'll look for you! Good luck!

xofivebyfive
08-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Where's the list?

flutzilla1
08-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Where's the list?

http://www.angelfire.com/nj3/aafsc/mmc07entries.pdf :)

herniated
08-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Well... I hope I don't have to withdraw. I am in the process of passing a kidney stone. So, basically I feel like crap and.... I skated today and locked up my sacrum (sp?) once again.(doing a change foot sit spin) So, I am in spasm right now. Hopefully I can get it worked on today or tomorrow. Lovely. Something always happens before an event. I can't stand it.

As of now I am still planning on competeing but probably will scale down the difficulty a bit. ( NOT that I had such difficult stuff in the first place) Thanks all for listenting to me vent. My coach was great this morning. He watched my attempt at my program and then told me to leave the ice and not to do more damage. He wouldn't take my check for the lesson today either. Anyway, hopefully I'll be Ok for Sunday.

Sylvia
08-23-2007, 08:31 AM
If anyone attending Moran Memorial might be willing to help me out by passing along some qualifying level results, please send me a private message. Thanks!

Good luck to everyone competing this weekend! :)

herniated
08-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Unfortunately, I have to withdraw!!:( I went for an A.R.T session again today ( I went yesterday too) and the doctor advised me not to skate. My sacrum is inflamed and strained. I called the Ice House and left two messages with two different people that I was withdrawing.

Sorry, I won't be able to meet any of you. Hopefully at Easterns.

flutzilla1
08-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately, I have to withdraw!!:( I went for an A.R.T session again today ( I went yesterday too) and the doctor advised me not to skate. My sacrum is inflamed and strained. I called the Ice House and left two messages with two different people that I was withdrawing.

Sorry, I won't be able to meet any of you. Hopefully at Easterns.

We missed you yesterday! I hope you are feeling better. :(

I had no idea what a HUGE competition this was, there were as many vendors at Ice House as in Dallas at Adult Nationals. I am happy to report that I skated very well and to my surprise I won my group. :)

Thanks to all at the Ice House for putting on such a nice competition, it must have been a ton of work considering the number of people there.

littlerain
08-27-2007, 11:19 AM
congrats on your win! :-)

herniated
08-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks fluz, and congrats on your win!!!! Do you know if they cancelled my event? There was only one other woman. I would hope that they did cancel it so she could at least get her fee back.

And, I'm feeling a lot better. Still some spasm but I should be back on the ice by the end of the week. Right now, my family and I are on vacation. We planned to go to the poconos right after the competition so we decided to stick with that plan!! Thanks again.

flutzilla1
08-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the congrats guys! :)

Glad to hear you are feeling better hern. They actually did let the other lady skate her program and I think they had her go against the book. There were also 2 Bronze men that competed and a Bronze pair.

Hope we will see you at Halloween Classic and Sectionals in Wayne!

jazzpants
08-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Just want to send my belated congrats to flutzilla on your win as well!!! WOO HOO!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

jskater49
08-29-2007, 01:33 PM

Oh wah wah! ;) No sympathy from me because my competition event was just cancelled because I was the only one signed up. I'm be thrilled to have two or three so at least I could compete. Hey, at least this way you know you get a medal!

j

herniated
08-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Oh wah wah! ;) No sympathy from me because my competition event was just cancelled because I was the only one signed up. I'm be thrilled to have two or three so at least I could compete. Hey, at least this way you know you get a medal!

j
I hear what you're saying, but I decided a long time ago I wouldn't travel for a small competition. I guess I have to do adult only events.

And to flutz, I won't be at the Halloween Classic :?? (husband will be away and I have no other babysitter. Kid is too small to come with me.) But, I am planning to go to Wayne. Do you know the exact dates?

jskater49
08-29-2007, 02:33 PM
I hear what you're saying, but I decided a long time ago I wouldn't travel for a small competition. I guess I have to do adult only events.

And to flutz, I won't be at the Halloween Classic :?? (husband will be away and I have no other babysitter. Kid is too small to come with me.) But, I am planning to go to Wayne. Do you know the exact dates?

Oh I just go where my daughter goes so it doesnt' matter. We don't even have any adult only competitions around here.

j

flutzilla1
09-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Just want to send my belated congrats to flutzilla on your win as well!!! WOO HOO!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks jazzpants! :)