View Full Version : What do you mean when you say you are "on" a level?

Morgail
07-01-2007, 11:49 AM
This discussion was going on in another thread, so I thought I'd post a new thread about it. When someone asks you what level you are on, do you answer with the level you most recently passed or the level you are currently working on?

For me, the difference was between ISI and USFSA. With the ISI skaters here, you are understood to be "on" the level you are working on, but with the USFSA skaters, you are understood to be "on" the level you most recently passed.

I thought it might be an ISI vs USFSA thing, but it seems as though it may be different at different rinks or cities. I'd love to hear what non-US skaters mean when they say this too. :)

SynchroSk8r114
07-01-2007, 12:12 PM
I've only skated USFS, so that's all I can vouch for. I no longer compete and am working on finishing up my last few freestyle and dance tests. When people ask what level I'm at, I always answer with the level I am working on. The way I see it, I've already passed the level below me, so I am not necessarily working on that any longer. Take dance, for example. I am currently on my Pre-Gold dances (working on passing my Starlight Waltz, Blues, and Paso). I'm not on Silver because I already passed those dances and therefore don't work on them anymore. With freestyle, I am currently working on passing my Intermediate freeskate, although I am working on jumps from the Novice level (double loop, double toe, etc.), but I would never say that I'm at a Novice level because I have yet to pass my Intermediate. So for me, it's all based around test levels that you're working on.

I can see where USFS skaters may say that they are on the level below them (that they just passed), particularly if these skaters compete. With USFS, most people typically compete the level below what they passed, so a skater who has passed their Junior freeskate would probably compete at at the Junior level, even those he/she is technically "working on" their Senior freeskate.

I used to coach ISI and if my student was "working on" FS 3, for instance, she would compete at ISI FS2, according to the ISI rulebook. I would still consider that student to be in FS3 because that is the level she is working on. I guess it all depends on the coach/skater/situation...

Skittl1321
07-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Well I say I am a no-test skater but I am working on pre-bronze moves.

Or that I am a freestyle 2 skater, but am working on freestyle 3.

So I AM the level I passed, and I'm ON the level I'm in class for?

peanutskates
07-01-2007, 12:50 PM
what i'm working on, makes me sound better (lol). I'm sure there's also some grammatical interpretation and explanation... but I can't be bothered to work it out. anyway, if someone asks me "what level are you on?" I can say, "I'm working on this level, and I have passed that level", so there is no confusion.

however, I usually find myself in-between levels, like now I'm technically on SkateUK Gold, as I haven't finished it yet, but I am already working on loops, flips, spread eagles etc. which are in higher levels. so I prefer to tell people what elements I'm doing, rather than 1 level.

WhisperSung
07-01-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm the same as peanutskates; I say I'm on Senior Moves and Novice Freestyle (meaning I've passed Junior moves and Intermediate Freestyle). Sounds much better. ;)

techskater
07-02-2007, 07:24 AM
I say I compete at X but am working on Y

jskater49
07-02-2007, 07:55 AM
I say I passed my adult pre-bronze freestyle test but most no-test competitors could kick my butt ;)

j

Clarice
07-02-2007, 08:00 AM
When I'm talking about freestyle, I say I "am" the level I'm tested, but with other things, say the level I'm working on. At this point, I'd say: I'm Adult Silver, working on Gold Moves and the Rhythm Blues.

xofivebyfive
07-05-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm ISI and I say I'm in or amFS 4. Because that's what I am. That's what I would compete at too. I can't say I'm in FS 5 because my lutz is iffy, I have no axel and I haven't passed that test. Sometimes I say I'm working on FS5.

I don't say I'm "on" anything, so maybe that's where the problem comes in.

techskater
07-06-2007, 09:05 AM
When I say I am "on" something, it's usually a specific element - like I'm on double loops

liz_on_ice
07-06-2007, 12:12 PM
I can see where USFS skaters may say that they are on the level below them (that they just passed), particularly if these skaters compete. With USFS, most people typically compete the level below what they passed, so a skater who has passed their Junior freeskate would probably compete at at the Junior level, even those he/she is technically "working on" their Senior freeskate.

I used to coach ISI and if my student was "working on" FS 3, for instance, she would compete at ISI FS2, according to the ISI rulebook. I would still consider that student to be in FS3 because that is the level she is working on. I guess it all depends on the coach/skater/situation...

I see it differently. I think the test qualifies you to compete at a level, and that is the level you are at. You are always working towards the next level, but you aren't there yet until you've been tested.

-Liz