View Full Version : Pulling out of jumps

*JennaD*
06-30-2007, 02:22 PM
hi everyone

so lately I've been working a lot on my axel and double salchow, and I have realized that the only reason I can't land them is because I don't pull out fast enough!

Does anyone have any tips on knowing when to pull out, or on pulling out fast enough?? thanks :)

MQSeries
06-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Can you be more specific about the "I can't land" the jumps ? Are you hitting the ice with both feet still crossed but the rotations are completed, are you falling on the jump because of incomplete rotations, etc.

flo
07-02-2007, 09:06 AM
I sometimes have the same problem. After trying so long to keep everything pulled in, now it's time to check out. What helped me was some time in the harness, and getting to know the timing. It also helps to make sure there's not too much lean on the right side and a soft landing knee, so if you pver-rotate you won't fall over (done it).

*JennaD*
07-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Can you be more specific about the "I can't land" the jumps ? Are you hitting the ice with both feet still crossed but the rotations are completed, are you falling on the jump because of incomplete rotations, etc.

Yeah I tend to land on one foot with my feet still crossed with the entire rotation (most of the time..lol) but I don't pull out on time so I fall...:giveup: lol

MQSeries
07-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Sounds like you're completing your rotations just as you come down on the ice, and that's not enough time. You need to complete the revolutions earlier in the air. Try to jump higher and pull in tighter during the rotations.

SynchroSk8r114
07-02-2007, 06:58 PM
:D Try these backspin exercise:

1. Regular backspins but get out of them fast. Think up-and-out with your free leg.
2. Backspin-hop while still spinning in the backspin position-land still spinning. Repeat until you run out of speed/revolutions. This should mimick the postition you are in during an axel/double jumps and will help with double loops.
3. Backspin (tight to landing position, tight to landing, etc.); repeat until you run out of speed/revolutions.

For the actual jump, think of jumping up by using your free leg to power you up and through the jump instead of jumping around. Leading with your left shoulder (if you jump CCW) will also help! To land, I think of lifting my free leg's knee to my chin, but don't break at the hips or else you'll definitely drop your free leg and two--foot the jump.

You can also try this exercise:
Try doing a waltz jump(or any other single you want)-backspin-hop out to landing.