View Full Version : Progress in skating

xofivebyfive
06-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Just thought I'd show you all this video. It's of me from the past year.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RM8pT5abym0

So this is one full year of figure skating. I thought it was interesting how everything progressed, and in seeing the small improvements even from day to day, like this week. Let me know what you think, and if you have videos of yourself like this one, please post it. It's fun to see yourself in the beginning, because not only is it entertaining, but it gives what you're working on now meaning. You know what I mean?

Morgail
06-29-2007, 11:20 PM
You've come so far! That's a great video. Now I really really want to get a new camera so I can do something like that...

twokidsskatemom
06-29-2007, 11:56 PM
great progress!!!!!!
I think you have both seen my kids :P

peanutskates
06-30-2007, 03:06 AM
I have a video of me skating just before I started having lessons in January, but no current ones...
what program do you use to edit your videos? because I don't think I have anything like that so I can cut and merge videos.

xofivebyfive
06-30-2007, 10:39 AM
I used Window Movie Maker. I think it was already a part of my computer so I didn't need to download it or anything. It's really simple.

littlerain
06-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Great progress! I hope I progress that much after skating for 15 months! Lol. How often do you practice on & off ice? :-)

xofivebyfive
06-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Great progress! I hope I progress that much after skating for 15 months! Lol. How often do you practice on & off ice? :-)

Um while I'm in school, I usually only skate 3 or 4 days for an hour with one 30 minute lesson a week, sometimes less time if I'm sick. This summer I'll probably skate 5-6 days a week and I have 3 45 minute lessons planned M,W,TH. I don't do anything off ice except stretch before and after I skate. I might be doing cross country so I have to start running for 30 minutes a day, and that helps with leg strength a lot.

Tiggerwoos
06-30-2007, 12:34 PM
That's amazing........ esp since you've had alot of health problems. Well done.

Am sure you'll carry on making brilliant progress like that over the next 15 months. Love the spirals and the increasing height as the months have gone on.

FLskater
06-30-2007, 01:19 PM
I am in awe!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I have been skating for a few years, & I STILL look like how you did in the beginning of the video! This really shows you how lots of practice, lessons, & determination will get you MUCH farther!!

Thanks for sharing - that was really inspiring!

Bill_S
07-01-2007, 06:03 AM
That's simply amazing!

We have skaters here that have been skating for several years and they can't do what you can. You must really put your mind to it, and your busy practice schedule shows that you're determined.

xofivebyfive
07-01-2007, 09:45 AM
That's simply amazing!

We have skaters here that have been skating for several years and they can't do what you can. You must really put your mind to it, and your busy practice schedule shows that you're determined.
You bet I am. My oldest brother was the smart one(he's probably going to get into Harvard Law. He got a 178 on his LSATs), my other brother was the best XC and track runner in our school and one of the best in the county(He's at the Naval Academy) and as of last year I was going to be nothing since I don't play any sports and am not as smart as either of them. SO, now I have something that makes me special! Not that that's why I'm doing it, it's just an added bonus. :halo: Makes me work that much harder.

SynchroSk8r114
07-01-2007, 09:59 AM
You must have been working very hard, especially battling your sicknesses and injuries. You've definitely come a long way in a little over a year. Your spirals are gorgeous. Congrats! :D

LilJen
07-01-2007, 12:20 PM
. . . lucky . . . . /tm Napoleon Dynamite (no, obviously not luck--sounds like you've worked really hard!)

I'm jealous!

chowskates
07-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Just thought I'd show you all this video. It's of me from the past year.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RM8pT5abym0

So this is one full year of figure skating. I thought it was interesting how everything progressed, and in seeing the small improvements even from day to day, like this week. Let me know what you think, and if you have videos of yourself like this one, please post it. It's fun to see yourself in the beginning, because not only is it entertaining, but it gives what you're working on now meaning. You know what I mean?

It is very good progress indeed! I wish I had video capability when I started skating... the best I could do are those jump progression vids that I posted in the other thread: http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=24058

blackmanskating
07-02-2007, 03:27 PM
I wish I would've done that in the beginning. When I first started I could barely do crossovers and I was 40 pounds heavier. 18 months later, I am working on my doubles up through double axel. I could've seriously used that tape as an encouragement on those days when I feel like I suck. A double axel in 18 months sounds good on paper, but it's a little discouraging when you feel your skating is not where you want it to be. A video like that would keep me focused and on track; but I was far too embarrassed in the beginning to let anyone record me skating. It was horrible. But congratulations to you. The progress you have made is truly awesome. Whenever you get those bad skating days, be sure to watch this video to encourage you. If you are anything like me, sometimes it's easy to be so focused on the destination that you neglect to see how much stronger the journey has made you. Take care.

BlackManSkating

ouijaouija
07-03-2007, 08:18 AM
i started around same time as you, i can't do spins (not one foot) or jumps, i don't think i practise them at all :frus:

you have motivated me to work harder!

I am hoping your vid will help me learn the single jumps, I only know the half turn jump

Sessy
07-04-2007, 04:51 AM
I started in spring 2006... Of course, no skating in summer months (like, 5 of them) and group lessons, only 3 or 4 privates in total. Anyway I can do most of it too, but it's not as good as yours is (can't do a layback - we never did that one in class). You'll hit the doubles well before me. :lol:

I should make a video of the progress too. I guess I will once I land the axel.

sk8tegirl06
07-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Great Progress! I'm new to the board so I figured I would just jump right in. It actually is inspiring me to tape more practice sessions. I have been skating consistently again for about 9-10 months, hopefully I'll be close to that at 15 months.

xofivebyfive
07-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Great Progress! I'm new to the board so I figured I would just jump right in. It actually is inspiring me to tape more practice sessions. I have been skating consistently again for about 9-10 months, hopefully I'll be close to that at 15 months.
Oh yay! Yes you should tape yourself as often as you can. If you've watched my videos on youtube, you can see a big improvement on most of my moves from June 26-29. Even just a day makes things better.

i started around same time as you, i can't do spins (not one foot) or jumps, i don't think i practise them at all :frus:

you have motivated me to work harder!

I am hoping your vid will help me learn the single jumps, I only know the half turn jump
That's great! Yes, practice is key.

I wish I would've done that in the beginning. When I first started I could barely do crossovers and I was 40 pounds heavier. 18 months later, I am working on my doubles up through double axel. I could've seriously used that tape as an encouragement on those days when I feel like I suck. A double axel in 18 months sounds good on paper, but it's a little discouraging when you feel your skating is not where you want it to be. A video like that would keep me focused and on track; but I was far too embarrassed in the beginning to let anyone record me skating. It was horrible. But congratulations to you. The progress you have made is truly awesome. Whenever you get those bad skating days, be sure to watch this video to encourage you. If you are anything like me, sometimes it's easy to be so focused on the destination that you neglect to see how much stronger the journey has made you. Take care.

BlackManSkating
You are incredible yourself. I'm so inspired by how you're doing a double axel after 18 months! Most people are skating for 5 or more years before even attempting one. Man. I'd love to see you skate. Do you have any videos?

blackmanskating
07-05-2007, 06:46 PM
You are incredible yourself. I'm so inspired by how you're doing a double axel after 18 months! Most people are skating for 5 or more years before even attempting one. Man. I'd love to see you skate. Do you have any videos?

I don't have any videos just yet because I don't have a camcorder to record them. But I am getting one soon because I want to use it as a training tool. It's important to see what I look like. It's not that I don't trust my coach, but I want to see for myself. I am my worst critic I guess.

BlackManSkating

Ice Dancer
07-07-2007, 10:55 AM
That's really great, I bet it makes you feel good too.

I feel sorry for you on the injury illness front, I hope you are feeling better now.

Rusty Blades
07-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Personally, I think it is DISGUSTING! ;) (<--- note the WINK!)

I have been skating for 1-1/2 years, year-round, and at the 1 year point, I couldn't do much more than forward stroking, half-a@@ed backwards skating, and 2 foot turns! :cry: After a long plateau, it is only in the past week that I have added back cross-overs, forward 3 turns, and the beginnings of a Toe Loop.

Oh well, what I lack in talent I make up for in stubbornness 8O

Disgusting, I tell you, simply disgusting! ;) (<--- note the WINK!)