View Full Version : Should I Try New Blades Unsharpened?

dbny
06-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm getting my new Klingbeils tomorrow morning, with new Coronation Ace blades. I've been on Aces for years, but these are 1/4" shorter, and I noticed that they come from the factory with a 3/8" hollow. I've been using 7/16", but letting them get quite dull between sharpenings. Now I'm tempted to just skate on them right away to see if I can manage the 3/8". I know that as a rule, the factory sharpening is not to be trusted, but I'm not even sure I can get them sharpened tomorrow anyway. Opinions, please!

Isk8NYC
06-29-2007, 09:23 PM
I didn't know Aces shipped with a factory sharpening; my Gold Seals didn't feel sharp at all. I wonder how sharp they are when they arrive?

The only thing I'd be concerned about is whether you'll be able to tell the different hollow from the dullness when you're skating.

You're capable of judging if they're sharp enough to skate on them. (Just use your fingernail - you taught me that trick!)

Still, make a sharpening appointment - when there IS a factory sharpening on blades, it only lasts a few hours.

Award
06-29-2007, 09:26 PM
I don't see any problem with trying them out on 3/8 inch ROH. As long as you do the 'ol back of the finger nail light scrape/shaving test along various parts of the blade (on both edges of each blade), and it shaves adequately, then you should be good to go.

dbny
06-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Thank you both! I'll find out if my sharpener is available in the afternoon while on my way to Klingbeils in the morning, and then skate, if possible, first.

Sessy
06-30-2007, 05:11 AM
I skated on my coronation aces unsharpened for the first two times or so. Didn't notice a difference with when they were sharpened (apparently one of the edges was a little duller to the centre, but really I didn't notice)

Evelina
06-30-2007, 08:50 AM
My Coronoation Ace arrived nice and very sharp, it was absolutelly ages before I had to sharpen them again and that was skating 5-6days a week for at least 3 hours at a time.

dbny
06-30-2007, 02:51 PM
At the moment, the question is moot, as many things went wrong and I don't have my new boots/blades yet. First, my blades did not arrive. Second, the mold to make my orthotic broke, and Don did it by eye, which felt great to me, but since he has the time he is doing another mold. Finally, they spelled my name wrong on the soles 8O! Other than that, it's all good :lol:. When I put my foot in a boot, I hear that whoosh! sound, and they do feel like foot gloves. I'm also going to have the side hook on the tongues to keep them from slipping.