View Full Version : Hi I'm new! I'm a skater mom....

SkaterMomJen
06-27-2007, 12:49 AM
My name is Jen and I have two DDs, Jessica (7) and Julia (5 1/2). They both started skating in February in an ISI LTS program. Both are doing really well and Jess is in Alpha and Julia in pre-Alpha.

At what point do you consider private lessons? I think both my girls would get more out of skating and enjoy it more if they were in privates.

Also, they are out-growing their skates FAST! Where can I buy skates (online is totally fine) for a good price? And what is the difference between Riedells and Jacksons? When I skated a gillion years ago, I had custom skates that I don't think are made anymore - Speteri's? With Stanzioni blades.

Thanks so much! I am sure that I will have a TON of questions :D

peanutskates
06-27-2007, 02:14 AM
Hi, welcome to the board!

I'm not sure what level Alpha is (I'm in the UK), what sort of things are they doing? If you think that they will continue skating for a long time, though, you need to get good skates. I wouldn't recommend online purchase until you've tried on the model in a shop. So if you can, go a skate shop, get their feet measured, have them try on different models; write down all the details of the best boots. Then, you can compare the prices on the Internet.

For Julia, seeing as she is so young, I would possibly recommend second hand skates? They will most likely be a good quality anyway, as I don't think that other 5/6 year olds who had them would have destroyed them completely, and this will be much cheaper. For Jess, you could consider the same option, or one of the lower ends of the market; Risport Etoile might be suitable?

I'm currently in Risport RF4's with Ultima Mark IV blades. I'm working on single jumps (this is about USFS 3/4) and my skates are good for my level. You need to make sure that the stiffness rating is not too high on the skates you buy. Mine are 40. Maybe consider 30 for your kids?

What skates do they have now? Maybe you could even get the same model in a larger size?

Mrs Redboots
06-27-2007, 05:18 AM
Probably they will be ready for privates once they've finished the learn-to-skate classes - I don't really know your system, but aren't there four or five levels with letter names, and then you move on to numbers? Probably once they reach the number level, unless they get rather stuck on anything in the letters.

You might find - obviously it depends on your skaters - that they will do better in a shared lesson rather than in a private one.

As for boots, at their age and level, if you can find a good pair of outgrown but not outworn from other skaters at your rink, that will be fine. Ask around at the rink - perhaps there is a notice-board where just such commodities are advertised, or the coaches may run an unofficial 2nd-hand shop.... the other mothers will probably know.

And do get back on the ice yourself!

Clarice
06-27-2007, 06:40 AM
Hi, and welcome! My daughter started in an ISI program, it seems like forever ago, when she was 5. We started privates when she was 6 and beginning the freestyle levels. At first, it was one private and one group lesson a week, but we gave up the group lessons altogether fairly quickly and only did privates.

SPTeri skates are still made, and you can still get customs, but they likely don't make the same model you had and your girls don't need them yet anyway. Both Riedell and Jackson make good entry level skates. You'll really need to have the girls fitted at a pro shop, though, if at all possible, to know which brand works better for their feet. A lot of people I know have used Rainbo in the Chicago area for a long time - they might be one option, but I'd definitely ask around about your local pro shops.

jskater49
06-27-2007, 08:14 AM
I think as long as she is progressing satisfactorily in group lessons, hold off on the private lessons. If you continue in this, you'll pay plenty soon enough.

j

littlekateskate
06-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Welcome to the boards and to skating!! I have a three year old daughter who does group and private lessons. She just passed her alpha group lesson monday and will start Beta!!!! :)

She does much better in the group lessons and progresses just fine. However we want her to compete (and she enjoys it--loves the awards). So we do private. With the private you can get a program ect. You could even do group weekly and private bi weekly its a thought!

SynchroSk8r114
06-27-2007, 10:05 AM
At the rink I teach at, skaters usually take privates after passing Delta. If the kid wants to continue in our Figure Skating Development classes (freestyle+) classes, they must take regular private lessons. I, however, have began giving private lessons to kids in levels as low as Alpha, but that's not too common. I'd suggest waiting, but it's entirely up to you. It's your time, money, and children after all...:lol:

Since you're pretty new to the skating world, the one thing I would caution you against as a new skating mom is not to listen to your rink's peanut gallery (a.k.a. every other skating parent around!) Trust me, as a skater and a coach, I've been on both ends of this and 90% of the time, the gossip and "advice" people will offer to you ends up doing more harm than good. I have a student whose mother seriously polls every other skating mom at the rink regarding test sessions, skating ability vs. age, synchro levels, when to skate so their kids are on the same session, etc. It's a pain and can get very annoying at times. Honestly, the only person I would take any advice from is your kids' coach(es). Unlike a great coach who (should) have your children's best interest at heart, not all skating parents are looking out for your kids, even though they may seem like the nicest people in the world. As you'll learn as your girls get higher, this sport gets seriously cut-throat and I'm seeing it more and more at younger ages and lower levels. Quite frankly, it's sad. It's like these parents think they're kid is going to be the next Olympian! I mean, whatever happened to skating for the love of the sport and the valuable life lessons? :roll:

Hope I'm not scaring you away. This sport does have a lot of wonderful things to teach! Sometimes you just learn the hard way, but just be careful of who you say what to.

Good luck to your girls! :D

SkaterMomJen
06-27-2007, 11:34 AM
At the rink I teach at, skaters usually take privates after passing Delta. If the kid wants to continue in our Figure Skating Development classes (freestyle+) classes, they must take regular private lessons. I, however, have began giving private lessons to kids in levels as low as Alpha, but that's not too common. I'd suggest waiting, but it's entirely up to you. It's your time, money, and children after all...:lol:

Since you're pretty new to the skating world, the one thing I would caution you against as a new skating mom is not to listen to your rink's peanut gallery (a.k.a. every other skating parent around!) Trust me, as a skater and a coach, I've been on both ends of this and 90% of the time, the gossip and "advice" people will offer to you ends up doing more harm than good. I have a student whose mother seriously polls every other skating mom at the rink regarding test sessions, skating ability vs. age, synchro levels, when to skate so their kids are on the same session, etc. It's a pain and can get very annoying at times. Honestly, the only person I would take any advice from is your kids' coach(es). Unlike a great coach who (should) have your children's best interest at heart, not all skating parents are looking out for your kids, even though they may seem like the nicest people in the world. As you'll learn as your girls get higher, this sport gets seriously cut-throat and I'm seeing it more and more at younger ages and lower levels. Quite frankly, it's sad. It's like these parents think they're kid is going to be the next Olympian! I mean, whatever happened to skating for the love of the sport and the valuable life lessons? :roll:

Hope I'm not scaring you away. This sport does have a lot of wonderful things to teach! Sometimes you just learn the hard way, but just be careful of who you say what to.

Good luck to your girls! :D

Thanks so much! I come from a skating family - my sister skated with the best of them (I'm not a name dropper) and went pro when she decided not to "go all the way". I'm also a professional rider and trainer. I say this because I know all about the jealousy, advice, etc... that comes with having kids in professional sports :D

That's good to know though, about what you think about the private lessons. I really don't want to put out a ton of money until I know that they will stick with something.

Thanks again :)

SkaterMomJen
06-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Jessica, my older DD has a pair of second hand Riedell's - and I say second hand loosely! I got them at Play It Again Sports and I swear I don't think they were ever worn. The woman there told me that there were probably around $250 when they were new. They do have custom Wilson blades on them. I wish she were'nt outgrowing them! But when you are seven, you outgrow everything FAST!

I got Julia brand new Riedell 115s to start with. But she is outgrowing them as well. I did have them both measured and fitted at our rink's pro shop and planned on getting them both the Riedell 121s, but then I see that the Jackson skates are little less expensive. I might have to find a pro shop that has the Jackson's and have them fitted.

As for me, I got myself a pair of Riedells when I bought the girls their skates :) I get on the ice with them every Sunday at open skate. I still love skating, but I was a professional rider and trainer - my sister was the professional ice skater in the family :) I just stopped riding and training last year to be a full time mom and I started a business out of my home. Nothing against skaters, but I would much rather be in a saddle :)

Thanks again for the advice everyone! I know I will love it here :)

Isk8NYC
06-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Some pro shops and skating clubs have "skate swaps" where you can get good, used skates for less. Check out your rink.

When the skates get a little tight, the pro shop (or a shoe repair place) can stretch them overnight. Helps get a few more weeks out of the skates.

Welcome to the Board.

flippet
06-27-2007, 04:56 PM
If you're willing to let people know where you're at (even in PMs), you may get more detailed suggestions for pro shops, sharpeners, etc. There's a lot of Chicago skaters on this board. It's been too long since I skated there to give you any decent suggestions myself.

The 'best' skate is one that fits their feet, and is appropriately strong for their skating level. As for 'difference' between Riedell and Jackson, one brand may fit a particular foot shape better than the other. You may just need to try them both on. But as young as your girls are, they may not be able to articulate which feels 'better', and why. At this point, either is probably just fine, as they both make good lower-level boots.

Also, you'll find that everyone has a 'favorite' boot, for reasons that may or may not apply to you! So later on, definitely do your homework before settling on something.

Sessy
06-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Sp Teri's are definitely still made, but from a lot of skaters and even one international coach I hear that they've found them too hard (not so much in the sense of the stiffness of the boot, but more like it's not padded enough). Even to the point that skaters got bone growths from them (which they didn't get anymore after switching to an other brand).

flippet
06-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Also, you'll find that everyone has a 'favorite' boot, for reasons that may or may not apply to you! So later on, definitely do your homework before settling on something.

Sp Teri's are definitely still made, but from a lot of skaters and even one international coach I hear that they've found them too hard (not so much in the sense of the stiffness of the boot, but more like it's not padded enough). Even to the point that skaters got bone growths from them (which they didn't get anymore after switching to an other brand).

Ha ha ha! :lol: This is *exactly* my point! :D :D

For my side, I LOVE my SPTeris. And to totally agree with Sessy, yes, they *are* as hard as a rock! Like little blocks of concrete. :lol: But I love a very stiff boot. Someone else may hate it, and both opinions are equally valid! You just gotta gather the info, then figure out what side you fall on!

littlerain
06-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Jessica, my older DD has a pair of second hand Riedell's - and I say second hand loosely! I got them at Play It Again Sports and I swear I don't think they were ever worn. The woman there told me that there were probably around $250 when they were new. They do have custom Wilson blades on them. I wish she were'nt outgrowing them! But when you are seven, you outgrow everything FAST!

Welcome to the forums! (Haha I should welcome myself too). You can get some good deals at Play it Again Sports (I know the one in northbrook has some brand new riedells, etc). Definitely check out Rainbo Sports in Northbrook, as someone previously mentioned. They have every major model of skate you might want (and lots of skating dresses, gift items, etc that I'm sure your girls will love!), and I know they advertise secondhand skates as well. If you don't mind saying what area of chicago you're in, I'm sure someone w/ more experience would be able to offer you even more suggestions. :-)