View Full Version : Rink Open? Sheffield

enakn
06-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Hello, Anybody from Sheffield know if the rink is open tomorrow?
(I'm seeing lots of flooding on the news for that area)
Thanks

TashaKat
06-25-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't know if the rink is open or not but the transport system ground to a halt just after midday today. It took me SIX HOURS to get 12 miles home from Sheffield this afternoon (I was not amused). There were no trains unless you wanted to go to Manchester and the traffic was at a standstill in places. The trams were running though!

I doubt that the trains will be back to normal before tomorrow afternoon (if then).

enakn
06-26-2007, 01:01 AM
Tried calling this morning but no power so no phone :-)
Apparently the road there is open this morning anyway. Sorry to you folks out in it yesterday - sounds awful.

Wonder how long the ice lasts without electricity?

Tiggerwoos
06-26-2007, 03:12 AM
I've been trying to get through to Ice Sheffield for 2 days now to pay for my nieces skating lessons and all you get is "This number is temporarily unavailable."

Just heard on the news J32 to 34 of the M1 is closed and looks like some dam near Rotherham may break. Glad I'm down south!

NickiT
06-26-2007, 05:17 AM
Is it that bad up there then? Good thing we were up the week before last then.

Nicki

max
06-26-2007, 07:57 AM
iceSheffield is closed. The whole area has a power cut and the roads are closed around that area. Meadowhall is expected to be shut until Thursday. At the moment we don't know how long the rink will be shut but obviously if there is no power, the ice will be melting as we speak.

Sheffield is completely gridlocked and it is difficult to get out of the City. In fact I am working out at the moment how I am going to get onto the M1 as Junctions 34-36 are shut. Junction 29 is closed. Unfortunately, I have to go to Birmingham Airport tonight to pick up my eldest daughter.

Sheffield Hallam University put up nearly 400 people last night who had been stranded in Sheffield. Sheffield Station is closed .

Mrs Redboots
06-26-2007, 08:49 AM
My thoughts are with you all!

Hope some of you, at any rate, will be escaping by coming South to Bracknell on Thursday/Friday.

enakn
06-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Well the phones are ringing now (not being answered, but....) so maybe the power has returned.

enakn
06-26-2007, 10:32 AM
(nope - diverted to Ponds Forge)

Tiggerwoos
06-26-2007, 12:54 PM
The pics on the news today actually showed Ice Sheffield from a helicopter and it looked pretty bad from the outside.

I heard as I have family there that half the staff from the rink didn't manage to get back from the rink yesterday and were stuck next door in Hallam Arena.

Feel very sorry for the people of Sheffield at the moment.

NickiT
06-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Blimey! I didn't realise it was so bad up there. Hope it all gets sorted quickly and that ice Sheffield is back up and running in no time at all.

Nicki

dbny
06-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Wow, I had no idea there was such a big disaster on your side of the pond. I haven't been able to watch much news lately, so I can't really blame the American press. I do hope everyone is OK and that there won't be too much serious damage when all is resolved.

samba
06-27-2007, 07:35 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6243926.stm

Here's the link for flood news, also mentions Sheffield, looks like people have actualy been killed.

Our thoughts are with everyone involved, thankfully not myself as yet.

max
06-27-2007, 08:06 AM
They have an emergency generator and are hoping to get at least 1 pad up and running for tomorrow/Friday. However, Sheffield is expected to be suffering power cuts for the next couple of days and I understand diesel supplies are only being provided to emergency areas ie. hospitals so I don't know how long they will be able to run their generator for if the power doesn't come back up.

max
06-30-2007, 06:52 AM
Just to let you know that iceSheffield reopened today. We only have 1 pad available which is the public pad so limited patch ice but ice is ice.....

Pad 1 (the elite ice) had melted more and is having to be taken right back and relaid so will be out for this week hopefully back next week.

Mrs Redboots
06-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Fingers crossed you aren't badly flooded again today.