View Full Version : Help / information needed - Toronto skaters

Canskater
09-20-2002, 07:55 AM
Hello all:

I had a very disconcerting experience earlier this week. Specifically, on Wednesday I took my skates in to a well-known shop to have a sharpening done. When I went out on the ice yesterday, I found the inside edges, most notably on the right, very grabby ... lots of snow forming in specific areas, etc., and the right inside edge was virtually impossible to hold. Further examination found burrs on the right inside edge. I called the shop and took my skates back and, although I haven't yet skated on them (will this evening), they appear okay.

Having had this experience, I don't think I'd like to take my skates back to this place again. So, that leads me to my question. Does anybody have the name, address and telephone number of the skate sharpener on Yonge Street (I believe possibly in Richmond Hill) who is reputed to be the best guy in town .... I am told he is a personal friend of Ellen Burka and that all her skaters take their equipment there. From everything I have heard, this guy is the "premier" sharpener.

Thanks in advance.

-- sheilagh

jp1andOnly
09-20-2002, 09:50 AM
I don't know the name of the guy, but many skaters go to Oakville to get their skates sharpened by Paul Fisher. I believe Neil Carpenter also does skates..but I'm not sure if thats just up in Barrie or in Richmond
Hill.

Canskater
09-20-2002, 10:02 AM
Thanks JP ... actually I used to get mine sharpened at Glen Abbey in Oakville when I used to live there. However, I have since moved and it is difficult to get there due to their hours and my working hours. But I will definitely agree that Paul Fisher does great work !!

-- sheilagh

Simoneee
09-21-2002, 06:26 PM
Try "Baxter's" 2039 Russett Road (QEW and Dixie), Mississauga. Call (905) 279-9046 for an appointment. He works out of the basement of his home. He sharpens skates for the Mississauga Figure Skating Club!!

JD
09-26-2002, 11:27 AM
I am lucky, we are from London and we have an awesome skate sharpener--smooth as silk, plus he coaches too...

You are looking for Neil Carpenter-formerly of Barrie and now works out of the Richmond Training Centre. I can't remember his price, but I know you should be able to get contact info for him from RTC...I wasn't aware he set up shop in Toronto...but everyone goes to him, I've heard from the arena. (our daughter trains in addition one day a week away from London at the Ice Academy, formerly ARC)

Hope that helps.

Canskater
09-27-2002, 07:37 AM
Thanks everybody for the help. I did, however, find the information I was looking for. For the sake of anyone else out there who needs a highly recommended sharpener / blade mounter with the most impeccable reputation ... here it is:

Rene Brunott
114 Elgin Street
Thornhill, Ont.
905/889-2005

-- sheilagh