View Full Version : A Question about Tests and Competing in levels

AW1
06-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Just trying to do a bit of research here.

In your country and your vain of figure skating be it whatever (USFSA, ISI, UK or Canadian Equivalent etc), is it permitted that you can pass a level test higher than what you actually compete in?

(I'm not sure on your levels where you are but work with me)

Lets say you have passed your novice level test, are you allowed for one reason or another to compete at juvenile level for example? (that's 2 steps backwards right?)

Clarice
06-25-2007, 08:17 AM
In USFSA competitions, your competition level is determined by the free skating test you've passed. You may never compete lower than your tested level, but in nonqualifying competitions you may "skate up" one level. However, your Moves in the Field tests have nothing to do with that - so it's possible to have higher Moves tests than the level you compete at. My daughter was usually 2 levels ahead in Moves. A skater who competes in more than one discipline may also have different test levels - for instance, someone might have passed the Junior pairs test, but still be Novice for free skating. They would have to have passed at least the Junior Moves test in order to be eligible to take the Junior pairs test, but they might have already passed Senior Moves. Was that as clear as mud? :)

skatingpanda
06-25-2007, 11:27 AM
In Switzerland it's just the contrary of that: the tests required to take part in the national championships are minimum requirements. So you could skate Novice even if you have passed your Junior (possibly even Senior?) freeskate test, of course provided that you are younger than 15.
Also, here the MIF and freestyle test tracks are not linked, so you could be ahead in freestyle compared to MIF (as I am, for example).

kateskate
06-25-2007, 11:37 AM
In UK open free skating competitions you skate at the level for which you have the test. You cannot skate up or down a level. ie if you have level 2 free skating and field moves you have to compete at level 2 since you would be over qualified for level 1 and under qualified for level 3.

You can however, have higher field moves tests than the free and elements part. Ie you could have level 10 field moves but level 6 elements and free and skate at level 6 comps. The field moves are a minimum standard only, whereas free and elements tests are minimums and maximums.

A competition entry form would look like this - Level 2 - must hold either level 2 elements or level 2 free and level 2 field moves. Must not hold either level 3 elements or level 3 free. Etc etc.

Adult comps are a little different since they sometimes just have a maximum level allowing you to skate up if you wish, or just a minimum level (or sometimes no level at all as is the case this year!).

For solo dance qualifiers in the UK there are only minimum requirements and maximum age limits. ie for novice you have to be under 12 and have at least level 1, for primary you have to be under 14 and have at least level 3. You could be under 14 and have level 7 for example and still skate at primary level in solo dance.

For elite level comps you have to have passed the relevant competitive test to compete at that level (and be age eligible)

Correct me if any of this is wrong.

Jamessk8r
06-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Just trying to do a bit of research here.

In your country and your vain of figure skating be it whatever (USFSA, ISI, UK or Canadian Equivalent etc), is it permitted that you can pass a level test higher than what you actually compete in?

(I'm not sure on your levels where you are but work with me)

Lets say you have passed your novice level test, are you allowed for one reason or another to compete at juvenile level for example? (that's 2 steps backwards right?)

say u have ur novice, yes u can do that, like i have my novice and i'm competing Pre Novice...(Skate Canada)