View Full Version : gk elite sizing/fit

Verena
06-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi all!

I would really like to buy a GK elite dress that is only available in adult small. I am 5'7'' but all the measures of adult small seem to fit me (except the torso that might be a little small).. I am thinking that if the dress is stretchy enough it would fit me (sleek fit).. Has anybody tried GK elite dresses? Do they run small or normal /big?

V.

xofivebyfive
06-24-2007, 05:49 PM
I have about a 61 1/2 inch torso and I got the large and it's a little bit short on me, but I deal with it. I think the sizes are true to what they say because large is 58-60. I would definitely buy based on your torso length.

The dress is this one (http://www.tidewaterice.com/DCP04132.jpg) or the 10th one down on this page (http://www.tidewaterice.com/gk_elite_skating_dresses.htm). I would have ordered an XL but then all the other measurements would be WAY too big. I'm 5"7 too.

emkayy
06-24-2007, 05:53 PM
I use the adult small in GK-Elite and I'm nearly 5'7 as well but they fit very well on me. Their dresses are stretchy so that's probably why they fit me so well. They run pretty normal I think, I have a couple other dresses by different brands but they all fit about the same (and they're all adult smalls). I think you'll be fine if you got a small.

xofivebyfive
06-24-2007, 06:31 PM
I use the adult small in GK-Elite and I'm nearly 5'7 as well but they fit very well on me. Their dresses are stretchy so that's probably why they fit me so well. They run pretty normal I think, I have a couple other dresses by different brands but they all fit about the same (and they're all adult smalls). I think you'll be fine if you got a small.
I think it depends on your exact measurements for torso, rather than your height. You could have really long legs.

My girth measurement is about 61-62 inches, but if yours is 55, then small would fit. Girth is the most important measurement so I would make sure you get whatever size matches with that one.

mikawendy
06-24-2007, 06:40 PM
If it is a long sleeved dress, the shoulders may be a snug fit. flo just passed me one of her GK Elite dresses (adult small, long sleeved) (thanks flo!) and it fits great, but for once the shoulders are actually narrower than my shoulders (I'm 5'1", muscular build). It fits because it's stretchy, but if you have very broad shoulders, it might feel snug across the shoulders. If it's a camisole style, then shoulders wouldn't be an issue.

Verena
06-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks to all! .. Although I am a bit confused... I guess it is different for every person. The problem with me is that I have narrow shoulders and small waist for my height...

emkayy
06-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Oh xo you are right! I do have really long legs :P so that's why it probably fits me! Thanks for the correction. :) I'm pretty thin and have narrow shoulders so they fit me fine.. but xo is right it's probably because I have long legs.
Yep, I just measured and my girth size is about 56.

BuggieMom
06-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Girth is the most important measurement so I would make sure you get whatever size matches with that one.
True...I make custom skating dresses, and I agree that the most imporatant measurement to use is the girth if you are buying off the rack dresses. If you are tall and slim, this might make the dress a bit larger in the width (bust/waist/hip), but it is easier to find someone to take it in on the sides than figure our how to skate in a dress that's in a permanant state of "wedgie"! 8O

Suggested measurements have about a 1" play either way...for example, if a dress has a 60" girth measurement, it should fit the 59"-61" range. When I make a dress, the greatest amout of stretch (if a fabric has greater stretch one way than another) goes around the body, not lengthwise, so there may not be as much stretch in the girth as the width. Of course, this is not a issue with all fabrics or all companies. If your girth is 1 1/2" or larger than the listed measurement, go up a size.

chowskates
06-24-2007, 07:48 PM
I think it depends on your exact measurements for torso, rather than your height. You could have really long legs.

My girth measurement is about 61-62 inches, but if yours is 55, then small would fit. Girth is the most important measurement so I would make sure you get whatever size matches with that one.

It does depend on measurements, but GK Elite has confused me...

FWIW, I have a GK Elite dance dress, my girth is about 58 1/2, so I ordered Adult Medium, but... when it arrived, it was too small!! So, I sent it back and changed for an Adult Small. It is perfect, so I'm not complaning, but I did wonder about the size chart!

Debbie S
06-24-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm 5'0" and about 100 lbs and most GK dresses in Adult Small are too small for me. The only GK dress that I've tried on (which I own) that fit me in Adult Small was a dress that seemed specifically made for adults - not a dance dress, but the skirt is a bit longer than most of their dresses, and the smallest size available was a Girls' Large. And this was 4 years ago - other GK dresses I've tried on since them fit me in Medium.

Mercedeslove
06-25-2007, 12:53 AM
I have a few GK leotards from gymnastics. Mine are an adult med and have some room. I'm 5'8" so. No idea if the torso on the leos are the same as the dresses.

I've had these since I was in high school which was 96, so they last a while.

flo
06-25-2007, 08:15 AM
Mika, glad it fit!
The thing I found strange about the dress, and that I've since heard from others, was the neck was a bit high in the front. They do run small in the shoulders/neck area, and after pairs it was a bit tight. I do like the way the bodice fit. The dresses are well made and I like that there are a variety of skirt lengths.

skaternum
06-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Info at the time of my last GK skating dress order (probably almost 2 years ago): 5'6" and 130 pounds. Not sure of my torso measurement. I ALWAYS have to order a large from GK, usually because of the torso length.

Lenny2
06-26-2007, 02:24 PM
My skater is 5'2", 107 pounds, girth of 56 inches and wears GK adult medium now. She can squeeze into her smalls, and they look fine, but she says they are small. She has worn GK for years--probably since we bought size child small.