View Full Version : What made a jump "click" for you?

Morgail
06-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Is there something you thought of, or something someone told you that made you able to land certain jumps? Maybe we can all help each other if we share these tips:)

For the loop, my coach told me to think of it as jumping out of a backspin. After thinking of it that way a couple of times, I was able to land it.

For the flip, it was thinking about shifting my weight that made me able to land the jump on one foot.

For the salchow, it was thinking about it being like a waltz jump that made the jump much easier & better for me.

For the lutz...I'm still looking for this one!

jazzpants
06-24-2007, 12:31 PM
When I think of salchows and especially waltz jumps, I think of someone that I don't like very much and I think of them being RIGHT in FRONT of me and I kick that person in the @$$ (with the favorite motto that my Peanut Gallery uses which I can't post here unless I want to get in trouble with the Mods. :twisted: ) Not only does it work in making sure I get a higher jump but it's VERY theraputic for me!!! :twisted: :lol:

Bill_S
06-24-2007, 12:36 PM
For a Salchow, my coach insisted that I kick my free knee upward and forward past the skating knee. When my Salchows fell apart, that always fixed them.

Tiggerwoos
06-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Definitely timing.......... My coach taught me to count for each bit of the jump, if it involves a three turn to count 1-2......... 1-2 etc for each bit, then you can check the 3 turns and you don't over-rotate, swing the arms etc.

peanutskates
06-24-2007, 01:53 PM
salchow
first, I counted i-love-seven-up and then, 1-2-3 (but slower)
but usually, I just kinda hope for the best... it seems to work.

toeloop
I concentrate on tapping my toe in.

FLskater
06-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Ooh, Jazzpants, I'm going to have to try that! That might be just the thing I need to get this waltz jump down!!! Thanks!

Kind of reminds me what my coach told me when she first started to teach me a scratch spin: she said "punch your brother!" - to try to get the rotation going.

froggy
06-24-2007, 05:07 PM
waltz- take my time and hold that forward outside edge, dont rush it

salchow- imagining me as my coach landing the salchow, my coach has perfect timing on the salchow! also thinking to pass my free leg heel first

toe loop- hmm hard to describe, i just begin landing them more consistently the proper way with my skating foot coming around on the ice (andnot toe walzing), with the toe loop i need to remember my upper body it should come up and around with my skating leg, sorry so hard to describe that feeling, but its working!

1/2 flip- someone on the board gave the awesome advice to pull back with the thumb up which helps avoid overrotating, it worked like a charm thanks!!

1/2 lutz- Deep knee bend and severe right outside edge, also arching the back

loop-havent landed it yet, but very close! im trying to remember to ride the outside edge and keep my wt on the right side, it helps to practice BO3s and backspin b/f trying loops

good luck!

Sessy
06-24-2007, 05:12 PM
For the loop, getting in front of a dark window and jumping it on the floor and seeing that I was dropping my right arm considerably. Then practicing it using the reflection from the boards at the rink.

For the waltz jump I had to get over my fear of falling over the toepick forwards before I could get any height and speed on it. Your first months of skating you're doing everything NOT to get forward enough to catch the toepick, and here you ultimately do take off the toepick off. It's the last point to leave the ice. It has to be, else you're not pushing with your full foot and not getting all the height you could. Also understanding that the ONLY way you can rotate is if your right leg goes forward of your left leg (for ccw). Cuz else you'd be twisting your hips against the rotation to cross over.

For the lutz I'd just tell myself every time "check this sucker". LOL, it helped. Looking over my right shoulder at the last moment did too.

southernsk8er
06-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Check, check, and keep checking! I had a tendency to pre-rotate my upper body and struggled with the timing on the flip forever. Now I think about it every time and have a nice flip and lutz!

For waltz jump, salchow, and toe loop it was learning to kick the right leg up and through. Currently trying to apply that to the axel...

xofivebyfive
06-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Um with the loop I just have to remember to relax. If I try too hard, it won't work and my wrap leg will come back. I also have to remember to not bring my arms up with my flip until I pick in. That's my worst habit.

Rusty Blades
06-27-2007, 01:17 PM
What made a jump "click" for you?

Ah .... would that be .... a loose blade?

(Sorry :giveup: )

jazzpants
06-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Okay, one more....

For the loop jump, since I'm jumping CW, I am supposed to check to the left on the landing...

There's a song by Beyonce called "Irreplaceable" that comes ringing to my head when I have to remind myself to check: "To the left, to the left...everything you own in the box to the left..." :P :lol:

tidesong
06-27-2007, 08:54 PM
There usually isn't just one thing that made jumps click for me. Up to the axel, it was by sheer force will whatever you call it.

When i hit the axel, thinking of jumping up helped at first, then it mutated gradually until I had a whole set of instructions in my head to deal with various situations.

Then as I moved on to the double salchow that list just totally expanded... so I can't really say that things make jumps click for me.

One thing that is helping my double toe at the moment (although its bound to mutate in a while and I will need another set of keywords to help it) is "around, up and around the world" the first around is when i bring things through, up is up and around the world is for my upper body to continue to turn instead of leaving it behind :P

peanutskates
06-28-2007, 02:12 AM
hey jazzpants, your kicking thing for the salchow really helped my sal!!! thank you :P