View Full Version : YOUR opinion on these shortlisted pieces for a comp?

peanutskates
06-24-2007, 10:34 AM
OK, I would like to hear YOUR opinion on which is the best piece for a competition. I know that I should (I will) choose what's the best for me, but I really want to know the audience opinion, so to speak.

here's the shortlist:

Think of Me (Phantom of the Opera)
There's Nothing Like A Show on Broadway (The Producers)

you can get these songs on Limewire if you don't know them.

I might add a few more in a few hours' time.

anyway, what is your opinion? which do you prefer? this is a lower level competition (waltz jump, toe, sal, forward and back spins...) about USFS 3?

thank you

mikawendy
06-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Think about the kinds of movements/elements (specific jumps, spins, connecting elements) and movement style (fast/quick, slow/lyrical, upbeat, etc.) that you do best right now.... and then which piece of music would highlight that better?

peanutskates
06-24-2007, 01:14 PM
thank you, but I really just want your preferences. ok, just imagine that this is a non skating related topic and it's a poll. which one do you think sounds better?

techskater
06-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Phantom of the Opera = overused.

AW1
06-24-2007, 09:34 PM
I have never ever been a fan of the phantom of the opera in any way, shape or form. However my friend has it for her music (not that she's competed to it but anyway)... the music just does nothing for me!

Thin-Ice
06-25-2007, 04:42 AM
LOVE "There's Nothing Like A Show...". I haven't seen anyone skate to it, it's fun music and at the lower levels, it offers more opportunity to perform because it's a little bit faster-paced, but not so fast it looks overwhelming for a lower-level skater.

I can imagine the judges smiling to it more than anything from Phantom, but then I think Phantom is one of those musical selections that should be steered away from for, oh about the next 10 years. I was at a competition this weekend and heard skaters use something from Phantom 4 different times, plus another that skated to an Andrew Lloyd Weber medley that had just two small snippets from Phantom.

peanutskates
06-26-2007, 02:05 AM
ok thanks everyone; now the decision is down to my coach anyway. but I appreciate your help! :D